PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] upgrading to kde 4.1

heiowge
September 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Have been using Ubuntu for about 10 months. Tried kubuntu, but found KDE more of a trial than Gnome, so switched.

Fancied trying KDE 4 but heard about problems, so fancied trying it when 4.1 came out.

Got better with Linux and fancied trying it. Installed KDE4 core, and updates. Cant seem to get 4.1 tho.

Have tried synaptic, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade...:confused:

Still got 4.0.3

Any ideas?

Do my repositories need changing?

Tatty
September 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
The official version in the ubuntu repos is 4.03.

To install 4.1 you need to add the kubuntu developers repo here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1

I tried it myself but it didnt yeild that much improvement over 4.03 for me. A few less crashes, but an even slower system.

heiowge
September 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Tried it. It crashed my system and fried my 4.0.3 install to boot:lolflag:

At least gnome wasn't affected, so I rolled back to 3.**** and reinstalled 4.0.3

Gonna try it again in a mo..

heiowge
September 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Got KDE 4.0.3 back up.

Is the problem with the repositories, or just bad luck? Can I stop it happening again?

What I ended up with was:

It loaded the screen with KDE 4.1 and the icons as it booted, then it displayed a box on a white background talking about a fatal error, with the KDE bouncing mouse pointer. If I moved the mouse, it left a black trail onscreen - kinda like the writing with fire option.

It wouldn't display the error or let me save the log. It merely told me that it was fatal.

Tatty
September 15th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Im not really sure. But perhaps, instead of just updating the changed packages, try completely removing KDE (hopefully you installed with aptitude, otherwise this (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome) page may help) and then re-install it with the 4.1 repos enabled.

heiowge
September 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Won't that erase my Gnome settings? I'm using Gnome at the moment full time, but messing with KDE 4.0.3 on the other (less accessable) machine and making do.

heiowge
September 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
bump

HousieMousie2
September 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Won't that erase my Gnome settings? I'm using Gnome at the moment full time, but messing with KDE 4.0.3 on the other (less accessable) machine and making do.

I think they are two different things with their own setting locations in your Home directory.

I tried going from KDE 3.5.9 to 4.0.3 and then back to 3.5.9, it produced a lot of 'issues.' In the end a purge and reinstall was needed.

I don't use Gnome, so it might be different, but even when I was switching back and forth between KDE versions, it maintained my original settings.

Best of luck!

heiowge
September 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cheers.

Is there any way to completely purge all KDE then install just the 4.1 version (keeping Gnome and settings in place)?

btw - I use Kopete regularly (I could remove other KDE aps without too much faff though)