PDA

View Full Version : Automatic sync thunderbird and dropbox

Glenn Jones
September 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hi

So I recently signed up for dropbox (check it out if you haven't already) the otherday so that I can sync my email mailboxes on both my laptop and desktop. The only problem with this is that I have to manually rsync my to the correct directories. I would like to automate this process whereby when I open Thunderbird it automatically gets the mailboxes from the dropbox and when I close Thunderbird the mailboxes sync back to dropbox.
I would also like the automation script to work when I use the Thunderbird icon. Any one have any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers

hessiess
September 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM
make a shell script like:

#! /bin/sh
rsync (whatever) #retreve mail
thunderbird # BASH will wait here until you exit thunderbird
rsync (whaever) # this line will run when you quit

and make the icon run this script instead of running thunderbird directly

wandman
October 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Glenn,

Did you have much luck with this? I would be very interested to try out this solution to sync emails between two computers. I know that it is possible with FireFox but wondered if with Thunderbird the profile.ini file is maybe too big for it to work quickly? I mean if one had thousands of emails would dropbox be uploading and downloading a file that is a few hundred megabytes for example?

Hope someone can shed some light here.

Renée Jade
October 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'm bumping this thread because I would *really* like to know how to do this. Thunderbird is the bomb - best thing ever for keeping track of three email addresses. But I use four different computers on a regular basis so it would be great to be able to use thunderbird's syncing ability with dropbox's sharing ability. Any ideas? I have no experience with scripting but I've done some programming so I'm not scared of it.

Thanks.