PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATi Radeon X600

Alasta
September 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hello , I have a NEC desktop with a Radeon x600. I am already using the restricted driver supplied but I would like to install the driver from the ATi website

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600]

I have downloaded the driver but when I try and install I get this:

Could not open the file /home/alastair/Desktop/a…ler-8-8-x86.x86_64(2).run.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW would I be better just looking for a new card ?

Alastair Fulcher

DFlame
September 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Is there any particular reason you want to use the ATi supplied driver instead of the one provided? I'm taking the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" tack here.

DFlame

Alasta
September 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you dflame .

I seem to have a flickering issue with My favourite Game , second life and with other video playback. My feeling is that this is a pants video card whatever the OS , unless some one has had the same issue and a has a quick easy fix I would not waste my time or anyone else with it

KIndest regards

Alastair

DFlame
September 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure on this one, but this wiki page (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide) may be able to provide some install instructions that work. Otherwise, I'm stumped until someone greater walks by.

DFlame

Alasta
September 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thank you , I spotted the crucial phrase in the Wiki:

Note that when Visual Effects (Compiz) are active, flickering and artifacts may occur in OpenGL applications and hardware accelerated video windows (particularly with R300 chipset). To prevent this, disable Visual Effects.

I now think I have it working as good as its going to . What would be cool is if anyone can reccomend a card which wouldnt break the bank but would obviate the need for changing the visual effects settings for the PC before running the game.

Many thanks

Alastair Fulcher