PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows XP gone after installing Ubuntu 8.04!!

thedudething
September 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my friends PC, now windows XP is gone completely. You can't even access Windows XP files and there is no /sda under media and there is no boot menu.

Help?

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Can you open up a terminal (Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and post the output of "sudo fdisk -l". That should show all your hard drives and partitions.

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
How did you use the Gparted utility? Had you selected the option of using the entire drive in you partitioning scheme?

thedudething
September 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM
first off, I can't go on my friends terminal, he doesn't have internet working.

secondly yes we used the entire drive on the partitioning scheme

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM

-Terminal would still work even if you don't have an Internet connection.

That would be bad in your case as selecting the entire drive would let Gparted format that drive and auto partition it. (you're ******* would probably be gone)

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM

You don't need the internet to open a terminal. And if you choose "use the entire hard drive" then Ubuntu wipes the Windows partition and installs over the whole hard drive, so there's not much change the Windows partition is still there.

thedudething
September 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
By no internet i mean he cannot contact me in any way other than text, I know terminal still works.

thedudething
September 12th, 2008, 08:26 AM
he says all that came up after doing that terminal thing was stuff like "linux, extended, linux swap/solaris"

Is there anyway to find the windows without using the terminal?

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 08:28 AM
he says all that came up after doing that terminal thing was stuff like "linux, extended, linux swap/solaris"

Is there anyway to find the windows without using the terminal?

Don't try further on finding your ******* xp partition as fdisk utility did not even reflect any ntfs partition in the system.

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
If there was a windows partition it would say "HPFS/NTFS" or something similar, possibly a FAT32. I think it's long gone sorry.

c2006
September 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Is there only one hard drive inside the computer?

If so, I hope he has an XP CD... Because if there's only one drive, XP is goooooone.

If it makes you feel any better, I've done this exact thing (accidentally installed Ubuntu on my Windows partition/drive) once. Thankfully I DID have the ******* CD.

Sef
September 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
What you need is test disk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk).

TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

Don't use the computer that windows was erased on. It may be possible to recover XP. However, the more that hard drive is used the less likely you can recover the partition.

slmouradian
September 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Good luck using test disk and please report with your results.