PDA

View Full Version : MySQL embedded

pshah.mumbai
September 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
For those who want to install the embedded mysql database in their software, you need to install the "libmysqlclient15-dev" package

Its install the library at the following place :

/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqld.a

I will keep this post update on how to get QT working with embedded mysql for reference in future.

:)

cb951303
September 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM
nice thread. however sqlite is better than mysql almost in every aspect when it comes to the embedded database solutions :popcorn:

stevescripts
September 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
nice thread. however sqlite is better than mysql almost in every aspect when it comes to the embedded database solutions :popcorn:

+1 (big time ;) )

Steve

tinny
September 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM

Ummm... continue please...

You cant just say these things and then assume that it becomes the truth. Back it up.

LaRoza
September 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ummm... continue please...

You cant just say these things and then assume that it becomes the truth. Back it up.

sqlite is a C library that is very easy to use with little overhead. MySQL is a database server.

What do you think is best for embedding?

tinny
September 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I once looked at using MySQL embedded for a Java desktop application. This was a commercial application and we discovered that using MySQL embedded would cost us 15% of the per until price of each application we sold.

E.g If we sold the software for $100 we would have to give MySQL AB $15.

We ended up using Java DB (Derby DB).

Always read the fine print.

tinny
September 12th, 2008, 10:15 PM
sqlite is a C library that is very easy to use with little overhead. MySQL is a database server.

What do you think is best for embedding?

Thank you. I just get frustrated with factless posts.

sqlite, hypersonic, Derby DB etc.... Are all better than MySQL for this. MySQL is about 50MB installed, right? Derby DB is about 2MB.

mike_g
September 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM
SQLite is very nice, easy to use and small; the .so is around 250K and it does all you would expect for a small db. Its completely free too apparently:
http://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html

LaRoza
September 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Why? What evidence is there?

sqlite, hypersonic, Derby DB etc.... Are all better than MySQL for this. MySQL is about 50MB installed, right? Derby DB is about 2MB.
MySQL is just too much, no matter its size. It is a server and multiuser.

Is this Derby DB available for more than one language/platform?

tinny
September 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Why? What evidence is there?

:lolflag: I have a bruise on my head from hitting it against a wall.

MySQL is just too much, no matter its size. It is a server and multiuser.

Yep. The only reason we even considered it was for political reasons. (The "manager" had heard of this thing called MySQL)

Is this Derby DB available for more than one language/platform?

FYI
Derby DB is written in 100% Java. So if you want to include it in your Java projects you just import a Jar file etc..

Not sure about other languages. Derby can run in server mode so I guess anything could connect to it.
E.g
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0505gibson/

EDIT: Before anyone jumps on the "J" word, im not saying that Java + Derby is the best setup.

cb951303
September 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
...I just get frustrated with factless posts.

actually the post doesn't need to be backed up. mysql and sqlite has different objectives thus there is no point in trying to prove that sqlite is better than mysql in its own area which is 'embedded databases'.

don't be a fanboy. we all use mysql, there is nothing wrong with it. are you satisfied :lolflag:

tinny
September 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
actually the post doesn't need to be backed up. mysql and sqlite has different objectives thus there is no point in trying to prove that sqlite is better than mysql in its own area which is 'embedded databases'.

Thats more like it :)

don't be a fanboy. we all use mysql, there is nothing wrong with it. are you satisfied :lolflag:
:confused: fanboy?

Maybe you should read all of the thread. ;)

drubin
September 13th, 2008, 02:35 AM

tinny Have you ever used hsqldb (http://hsqldb.org/) I find it easy to used simple and very light weight handles nicely with upto 50k rows per table. (That is all the project required).

tinny
September 13th, 2008, 02:49 AM
tinny Have you ever used hsqldb (http://hsqldb.org/) I find it easy to used simple and very light weight handles nicely with upto 50k rows per table. (That is all the project required).

Yep, its very good. When developing web apps I use it for a local build environment with Maven. (Jetty + hsqldb) I haven't tried embedding it...

BTW: hsqldb is the new name for hypersonic. (I think)

drubin
September 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Yep, its very good. When developing web apps I use it for a local build environment with Maven. (Jetty + hsqldb) I haven't tried embedding it...

BTW: hsqldb is the new name for hypersonic. (I think)

When ever I develop smallish desktop apps in java I use it as my DB engine pretty small light weight and FAST! also no server software needed.

mikejg
May 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
hello i try writing a programm which uses mysql embedded like amarok 2. The system ist kubuntu 9.04 and libmysqlclient16-dev. After compiling i get the first warning

/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqld.a(ssl.o): In function `yaSSL::read_file(yaSSL::SSL_CTX*, char const*, int, yaSSL::CertType)':
(.text+0x2191): warning: memset used with constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters

the programm stops with a segfault because init_server_mysql returns != 0;

here ist the code

static char *server_options[] = { "mysql_test",
"--defaults-file=/home/drue/amarok/my.cnf",
"--loose-skip-innodb",
"--datadir=/home/drue/amarok/mysqle" };
int num_elements = sizeof(server_options)/ sizeof(char *);

static char *server_groups[] = { "libmysqld_server", "libmysqld_client" };

int main(void)
{
mysql_server_init(num_elements, server_options, server_groups);
mysql = mysql_init(NULL);
mysql_options(mysql, MYSQL_READ_DEFAULT_GROUP, "libmysqld_client");
mysql_options(mysql, MYSQL_OPT_USE_EMBEDDED_CONNECTION, NULL);

mysql_real_connect(mysql, NULL,NULL,NULL, "amarok", 0,NULL,0);

mysql_query(mysql, "SELECT * FROM genres");

results = mysql_store_result(mysql);

while((record = mysql_fetch_row(results))) {
printf("%s - %s \n", record[0], record[1]);
}

mysql_free_result(results);
mysql_close(mysql);
mysql_server_end();
return 0;
}

for compiling i use

g++ test1_libmysqld.c -o test1_libmysqld -lcrypt -lz `/usr/bin/mysql_config --include --libmysqld-libs`

have any one an idea

thanks mike