PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's with Ekiga?

elcomputo
September 12th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I installed Ekiga yesterday. I got the little phone icon on the menu line. It opened Ekiga, but there was no listing for Ekiga under the Applications menu. Or anywhere else. I couldn't find it doing a search. Not that I could use it anyway. I was getting no response on my headset. I shut down. When I opened Ubuntu this morning, there was no sign of Ekiga -- no phone icon, nothing. This is really too weird. Last week, no matter what I did, I couldn't get sound through my external speakers. I went into the terminal, determined the sound card in use, specified it in the Preferences/Sound, rebooted, and nothing. I can't recall all the other stuff I did. But the next day, I went back and listed the sound card in the Preferences/Sound again, and this time it worked. I have no idea why. Now I've got the Ekiga problem. I don't know what's wrong or what to do. Am I doing something wrong, or is Ubuntu horribly unstable?

cb951303
September 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
hmm, I believe ekiga comes pre-installed. why did you need to re-install it?

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
not to hijack the thread but is ekiga a free service or a pay service like the other serices of its kind? what hardware do u need to set it up?

NET WT
September 29th, 2008, 03:08 AM
not to hijack the thread but is ekiga a free service or a pay service like the other serices of its kind? what hardware do u need to set it up?

You can get a free SIP-Address at ekiga.net (http://www.ekiga.net) I believe calling other PCs is free, but it cost money to call regular phones. You will probably also need a mic headset.

I can't help with the original question though, sorry.

markbuntu
September 29th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ekiga usually live in Applications/Internet. You have to set it up for audio and video in Edit/Preferences/Devices. If it is not there it is in usr/bin so you can make a launcher for it.

Sef
September 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ekiga usually live in Applications/Internet. You have to set it up for audio and video in Edit/Preferences/Devices. If it is not there it is in usr/bin so you can make a launcher for it

Easy way to get it in the applications menu:

System > Preferences > Main Menu > Internet > click on the box next to the Ekiga icon.