PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How Do I Get to Command Line

Flirtilizer
September 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM
How do I get to the command line. Not that I'll know what to do when I get there. :)

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Easy, in your menu's under applications go to "accessories"
then go to "terminal".
With any luck you may barely even have to touch the command line, as Ubuntu has many graphic tools built in for most functions.

chris062689
Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Vivaldi Gloria
To open a Terminal do as follow:

* Choose Applications → Accessories → Terminal;

* Or press Alt+F2 and type gnome-terminal.

See

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/basic-commands/C/

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Or press Alt+F2 and input "gnome-terminal" (w/o quote) and press Enter key.

EDIT: Or if you like, you could integrate the Terminal on your mouse right-click. So you could just perform a right-click when inside a folder, automatically, the terminal path would reflect your current folder location.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

Flirtilizer
September 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks all, I saw that but thought it was a way to log in to another system so I didn't click on it. :)

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
thought it was a way to log in to another system so I didn't click on it. :)

well it can be, the terminal is quite versatile.
From starting up applications to shutting down the OS the terminal can do it all.

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
i love using terminal to do tasks. if you can learn the commands it makes life simple. ive got tons of commands and what they do saved to a usb drive. all i do is mount the flashdrive and copy paste and it does its thing....

Jas'

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
i love using terminal to do tasks. if you can learn the commands it makes life simple. ive got tons of commands and what they do saved to a usb drive. all i do is mount the flashdrive and copy paste and it does its thing....

Jas'

for the beginner though the terminal is scary, luckily the terminal is becoming less of a hassle since I started, in just 4 years I have seen Linux progress better then windows could in 10.

eentonig
September 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Another way (and sometimes usefull is you're GUI seems frozen) is the key combinaten
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1...6,8...12>
(Thats one of these function keys on top of your keyboard, except F7)

This switches from your current terminal (the GDM session everybody calls the desktop)to on of the other available TTYs. They're all CLI based and you'll need to login again. But you get a full screen cli at your disposal to remediate or verify if you experience issues under Gnome.

To get back to your GUI, just issue the same command with <F7>

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
i agree. i started using linux in collage,about 4years ago and it has improved and progressed imensly.

but im kinda oldschool and i rember using terminal in DOS to play leisure suit larry on my first pc when i was in gradeschool

oh the way times have changed

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Another way (and sometimes usefull is you're GUI seems frozen) is the key combinaten
(Thats one of these function keys on top of your keyboard, except F7)

This switches from your current terminal (the GDM session everybody calls the desktop)to on of the other available TTYs. They're all CLI based and you'll need to login again. But you get a full screen cli at your disposal to remediate or verify if you experience issues under Gnome.

To get back to your GUI, just issue the same command with <F7>

Doing the above suggestion will bring you to what we call the "Virtual Terminal" (VT), this emulates the Terminal (gnome-terminal). This is the terminal that you often see on Server builds (no desktop environment).