PDA

View Full Version : I want a good thumbnail/photo viewer/editor

futz
November 18th, 2005, 05:06 AM
I've been a ******* guy for a long time and I'm spoiled by programs like ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software) - my favorite. I've used ACDSee too, and it's very good as well.

Is there anything of this calibre available for linux?

I've tried all the stuff that comes with all the different distros and nothing comes close.

The one that gets closest, I think, is gthumb, but it's not all that good. I tried f-spot, but it's really a baby still, and has a looooong way to go before it's very useful.

I'm willing to pay for one if it's good.

uberlinux
November 18th, 2005, 05:14 AM
The one that gets closest, I think, is gthumb, but it's not all that good. I tried f-spot, but it's really a baby still, and has a looooong way to go before it's very useful.

I'm willing to pay for one if it's good.
how bout digikam?

benplaut
November 18th, 2005, 05:21 AM
gwenview=rocks

Burgundavia
November 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
F-spot is built by and for photographers. It rocks very hard.

Corey

futz
November 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM
how bout digikam?
Downloading now - testing soon.

gwenview=rocks
Tried it. Did absolutely nothing for me.

futz
November 18th, 2005, 05:32 AM
F-spot is built by and for photographers. It rocks very hard.
It doesn't rock all that hard. I gave it a good testing, but it's very young and very buggy and just doesn't do what I need it to do. I do think it has potential though.

futz
November 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Nope, digikam just isn't gonna do it. It's pretty rough around the edges and missing many things I want/need. No quick easy way to flip thru pics quickly, no very customizable and easy to use slideshow mode (no linux prog I've tried yet has got this right) and no preview pane. Just not enough customizeable options for how things display.

I want the option to have the picture display window autosize to suit the pic, as well as options for whether it stretches or shrinks to fit the window or just goes to full size. I want keyboard shortcuts for everything. I HATE using the mouse for everything. And that's just a few quick thoughts. There are lots more.

EDIT: I found some keyboard shortcuts, so that's cool. I don't totally hate it, and will probably use it for a while, but it still isn't all that I want yet.

And who's crazy idea was it to have the program spend 10 minutes importing the pics before you can use the program? That's nutz! The pics are already right there on the hard drive. No need to import anything. F-spot does this too. It's just a strange way to do it, IMHO.

I know what yer thinkin. Waa waa waa. But come on! There's got to be something better than these, right?

benplaut
November 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Downloading now - testing soon.

Tried it. Did absolutely nothing for me.

make sure you get some extensions for it in synaptic... so far, it's the only app i've found with lots of batch processes

futz
November 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM
make sure you get some extensions for it in synaptic... so far, it's the only app i've found with lots of batch processes

Ok then, I'll give it another chance. :smile:

I'm also finding that with a bunch of tuning, I can live with digikam for a while. It's no ThumbsPlus, but it's better than gthumb.

Sigh... Guess I should have a looky at the source for some of these things and see if I can pick up my rusty programming skills and fix em to suit myself. I used to do tons of C and assembler programming, but I've forgotten a lot.

uberlinux
November 18th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Sigh... Guess I should have a looky at the source for some of these things and see if I can pick up my rusty programming skills and fix em to suit myself. I used to do tons of C and assembler programming, but I've forgotten a lot.

Do you think that would be fun to help in the development/process for digikam? I'm sure that they would like your input.

poptones
November 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM
I know exactly where you are coming from, as I was pretty much a thumbsplus "power user" when I was still on windows. It's a fantastic program and... no, there's nothing at all like it in the linux world. Nothing AT ALL. I also happen to think f-spot and digikam and gthumb and pretty much all those lookalikes suck - and I especially hate f-spot and any other program that has to "scan directories" before it will even open (doubly bad with f-spot, since it also crashes so much).

If you will download gqview you will find a pretty configurable program that you will probably like - I do. There are a couple of settings you can change in the config that will let you scroll through images with the mouse wheel (which I like) but you can also use the key very easily - for example, press S to start a slideshow, press again to stop; press F for fullscreen, press again for not. You have to right click and "show/hide file list" in order to get to the menus, but other than that you can drive it pretty much from the keyboard.

I actually started working on something like thumbsplus for linux and, ironically perhaps, it has also evolved like thumbsplus to be more of a general purpose file manager. Now it's even evolved to its own FILE SYSTEM. It's pretty cool although still more of an idea and outlines than something I could share, but if you are feeling adventurous I'd happily share what I have in the hopes you could offer some meaningful feedback.

Anyway, try gqview. And if you're really up for it download the source for the newer version and compile it yourself. You only need build-essential and a couple of gnome libraries and it'll build like a snap, and it's quite powerful in spite of being fairly ugly.

futz
November 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
a thumbsplus "power user" when I was still on windows. It's a fantastic program and... no, there's nothing at all like it in the linux world.
So true!

Anyway, try gqview.
Not bad at all. Far from perfect, but a decent little program.

MechR
November 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I know your pain... I really miss Irfanview when using Linux :( The closest thing I've found is XnView (http://www.xnview.com/), but it's damn hard finding a .deb package for it...

dudus
December 2nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
Well I miss picasa2 but I share the same feeling. digikam looks fine but I won't try it couse of all the kde libs that it needs. I'm kinda stuck with f-spot, witch sucks hard by the way. But anyway it's verssion 0.1.3 here. Can't ask too much

maruchan
December 2nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
I'd be interested to know what you think of any of these:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Graphics/Viewers/

I've checked out some of the homepages so far and there seem to be at least a few good ones in there.

landotter
December 2nd, 2005, 08:08 AM
I love GQview, as it's simple, logical, and fast. For editing I use Gimp externally--you can just right click on an image in GQview and send it to Gimp.

Gthumb is nice as well, but a bit heavy feeling--I use it to create simple and elegant html galleries.

As for Picasa and the few other *dows proggies I've used for this--yeah, they're mature and powerful, but unintuitive and overly complex for my needs.

*nix is usually about smaller tools, not monolithic ones--narrow down your exact needs and you might get useful suggestions. Posting that "gthumb is not all that good" is pointless if you want a bit of help, be specific about your criticism and we might find an alternative program, or enlighten you to hidden features. ;)

david_finlayson
December 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
I sure miss Picassa.

All my wife and I want is a few simple touch-ups to our family photos before they go up to snapfish for printing. F-spot is probably close, but the red-eye feature is terrible. Eyes aren't square guys nor do they glow freaky gray-blue which is the result I get after I have "squared off" my daughter's eye-ball.

It took me several hours with a web tutorial and the Gimp to get 1 family picture touched up. It looked great and it will only take me an hour next time. But man the Gimp can't be the answer (And the interface of the Gimp...don't get me started)

bailout
December 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
I know your pain... I really miss Irfanview when using Linux :( The closest thing I've found is XnView (http://www.xnview.com/), but it's damn hard finding a .deb package for it...

I use xnview on windows and haven't yet found anything similar on linux. Also surprised there isn't an xnview in the reps as he has released a linux version (although not as up to date as the win one) and it is free. I am too much of a noob to compile it myself yet.

Jussi Kukkonen
December 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Also surprised there isn't an xnview in the reps as he has released a linux version (although not as up to date as the win one) and it is free. I am too much of a noob to compile it myself yet.
License is pretty free, but not actually Free -- as an example the program may not be distributed without "registering". It also includes patented algorithms (JBIG at least).

ERam123
December 26th, 2005, 11:08 PM
For all these posts, im surprised no one mentioned kimdaba. Its really good i think for organizing photos, and it has an interface that, while it takes a LITTLE getting used to, it is really great. Also the website for it has a lot of video tutorials and instructions on how to use it efficiently. If you have an absolute TON of photos this is the way to go (in my opinion.)

Also, although there is a lack of true "albums" in kimdaba, I made a Category called "Albums" so that it can have albums anyway.

abruzzo
February 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I am a born-again Ubuntu gal, just starting to wean myself from W. I cannot agree more with ERam123. I also like Thumbs+ and have to say that F-Spot is (still) not even close. For example, unless I am missing something, there are no slideshow preferences, the app does not respect the existing directory hierarchy, etc, etc.

Anything new since this post?

THANKS!!

glotz
February 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
i love gqview, as it's simple, logical, and fast. For editing i use gimp externally--you can just right click on an image in gqview and send it to gimp.
+1

bapoumba
February 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
This is a 2005 thread. You'd be better off starting another one, things have changed since then :)