PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Public Computers Need a Timed Session.....

catfishy
September 12th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hi there! At a cafe we run, we have three public ubuntu machines. People are asked to keep it to 15 minutes if people are waiting. Wanting to be kind we've had it this way for months, but actual fights are starting between people waiting to use the computers and those that are hogging them! It's crazy. Anyhow, does anyone know of a few linux applications we could try? Something with a timed-session or system beep at 15 minutes? I know of cafes that charge for access and use windows programs on their windows machines, but it's difficult to find something comparable. THANK YOU so much for any push in the right direction!
Catfishy

post-script: i don't think we even need the home directory to be wiped, just a clock that counts down on login or something that ideal!

adam_kimber
September 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
http://timerapplet.sourceforge.net/ might be of help!

sudo apt-get install timer-applet. Add to a panel. Set a preset something like logoff and 15min. However they could stop the timer or reset it. Cannot see anyway for locking it at the moment. :(

catfishy
September 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
thanks! it's a start. we'll see if we can make that work. i really appreciate it! :)