PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation didn't work?

drmario
September 12th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I installed ubuntu on a 2000 HP pavilion computer. It had windows 98 on it, I partitioned the hard drive to keep windows around, and it seemed like the installation worked. I clicked to restart, then the screen went blank, the processor light wasn't on, HD wasn't spinning, nothing. I tried turning off the computer and starting it back up. I picked normal mode for ubuntu it seemed to start ok, then after the loading screen (the screen in windows where it would say 'Windows XP' the computer just went blank again. Its just sitting there now, the screen is black and it isn't doing anything. As far as I know there wasn't anything wrong with the computer, its just old. Specs:
550 mhz AMD athlon processor
256 MB of RAM
I believe it has a 64 MB graphics card. What should I do?
EDIT
I booted into windows and it appears that its working fine. Its just ubuntu that won't load up.

iaculallad
September 12th, 2008, 04:00 AM
With that spec (256MB of RAM), I'd say you try installing (x)Ubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Check this link on Ubuntu's (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) system requirement.

overdrank
September 12th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I installed ubuntu on a 2000 HP pavilion computer. It had windows 98 on it, I partitioned the hard drive to keep windows around, and it seemed like the installation worked. I clicked to restart, then the screen went blank, the processor light wasn't on, HD wasn't spinning, nothing. I tried turning off the computer and starting it back up. I picked normal mode for ubuntu it seemed to start ok, then after the loading screen (the screen in windows where it would say 'Windows XP' the computer just went blank again. Its just sitting there now, the screen is black and it isn't doing anything. As far as I know there wasn't anything wrong with the computer, its just old. Specs:
550 mhz AMD athlon processor
256 MB of RAM
I believe it has a 64 MB graphics card. What should I do?
EDIT
I booted into windows and it appears that its working fine. Its just ubuntu that won't load up.

Hi and welcome, how did you install ubuntu? With the live cd because the minimum memory is 384 mb. If you used the alternate cd then the memory could still be a issue.

Edit to slow as iaculallad has pointed out the same :)

drmario
September 12th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Well after running the memory test it started ok. If it runs super slow I might do a different version. Its only going to be used for web browsing though.

Sef
September 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Well after running the memory test it started ok. If it runs super slow I might do a different version. Its only going to be used for web browsing though.

Add 256 mb ram and Ubuntu will do much better.

drmario
September 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Add 256 mb ram and Ubuntu will do much better.
I can't add 256MB. Its maxed out at 256 mb now. I think I'm going to try installing xubuntu.

drmario
September 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I can't get passed the splash screen for ubuntu or xubuntu. It doesn't matter if I boot it off a CD or the HD. I can still boot windows fine though.

EDIT:
I've been able to get ubuntu to open 3 times. It seems like its pretty much just dumb luck when it happens. I've tried using recovery mode etc. Nothing is making it consistantly start. I get to the splash screen then I get a blank black screen. For some reason the keyboard also gets turned off (Num Lock light goes off). I also have the same problem when I try to boot xubuntu off a cd. Splash screen then a blank screen. Any ideas?

drmario
September 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Bump. Anyone know what I should do? I also get the same problem when I try to install xubuntu. I get to the splash screen, (when I try to boot unbuntu normally or when I try to install xubuntu from a CD)(x)ubuntu starts loading then the screen flickers a couple times and turns black, with nothing on it. I have been able to get ubuntu to start correctly three times. Each time it seemed to be completely random. I've done recovery mode, xfix etc.