PDA

View Full Version : Movies and Music

brandon333
September 12th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Just about to fully commit to linux only, only 4 things stopping me:

Legal Movie Downloading(like itunes or netflixx, etc)
Legal Music downloading (like itunes)
Ability to stream movies and pictures to a ps3 (like medialink)
ability to stream games to ps3 (like play on)

havent used windows in 8 years and been a mac person but seriously sick of their prices , their control/drm crap and that nothing is mac compatible,etc)

anyone know of remedies to my 4 issues?

gletob
September 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Why not use amazon MP3 it's drm free and some songs are 89 cents
I stream with a closed source app called twonkey media (Guide (http://scrambled.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/howto-stream-music-pictures-and-movies-to-an-xbox-360-with-linux/))(sorry thats for xbox 360 but I don't have a ps3)
What is play on?

brandon333
September 12th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Yes the amazon is good idea for music, hoping for movies too but like most everything else its geared for windows users. For streaming I checked into twonky and seems most promising as well as mediatomb but I also am considering putting mythbuntu on my ps3 and just streaming to linuv partition of ps3 however not sure how well mythbuntu runs on ps3

gletob
September 12th, 2008, 03:55 AM
It probally won't run that well since sony restricts CPU and graphic usage to linux if we had full use of all that power though...

brandon333
September 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
play on is for streaming pc gaming to a xbox, ps3 etc, but dont think it supports linux, google playon

right now I use osx leopard and everything does just work "if" I use apples stuff, but I want more freedom than that which is hy I now dual boot with ubuntu, just looking for itunes alternatives to music and movies and front row/apple tv functions, as far as movies though if I have a blu ray player/ps3 not een sure if I should be worrying about online download movies as I am sure it would not come even close quality wise....what I like about the ps3 is if you put ubuntu on it, you can watch online tv, install miro, etc however as you said the power of the ps3 is not fully used so I may be wasting my time.