PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do you install tesseract-ocr

fredstevens
September 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Hi...
Could someone please explain how to install tesseract-ocr for Ubuntu? I tried both synaptic package manager and the terminal but after it installs I can't find tesseract-ocr in the menu. Do I also need to install an interface for tesseract? Thank you.
Fred

srt4play
September 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM
It's a command line program only. After installing it, open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type

man tesseract

to see how to use it.

Patb
September 12th, 2008, 05:23 AM
It's a command line program only. After installing it, open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type

man tesseract

to see how to use it.

My Tesseract man page consists of just 114 words! That doesn't do justice to this advanced OCR program.

That said, it is fairly simple, albeit command line stuff. From memory, the input file must be in uncompressed tif format. Beware many existing tif files are compressed but you can convert to uncompressed without difficulty. So the syntax is something like:

tesseract inputfile.tif outputfile.txt
You can use a config file for settings too but I don't use it so I'll leave you to the tender mercies of Dr Google on that.

That's another 72 words ;). Hope it helps. Cheers, Pat.

james.math.u
October 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Please try this link.

http://freethots.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/installing-ocropus-on-debianubuntu/

Goedman
September 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I think ... I managed to install tasseract on Ubuntu Jackalope but I am having problems:

When I try and convert a document it gives the following error:

jaco@max:~$ tesseract /Documents/AM.tif AMT
Unable to load unicharset file /usr/local/share/tessdata/eng.unicharset
jaco@max:~$

I checked to see if there was a tessdata directory in the share folder and it does contain the "eng.unicharset" that the program is looking for.

Any idea why the program is unable to read that file?

:(

shadesofevil
September 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
install the tesseract-data package or manually train it

patocardo
October 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
install the tesseract-data package or manually train it
How do I do it?

Crick
October 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
How do I do it?

sudo apt-get install tesseract-ocr-eng
To use the program, the image needs to be a tiff file I believe. So you'd do this to execute:

tesseract in.tiff out.txt