PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on blog!!! I WANT your input!!!

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hey all,

Earlier this summer, I released a alpha version of my new Linux/Ubuntu/Open-source blog. It's now in beta stage, with about 4 large posts (hope fully that will pick up once people give feedback). I hope to finalize and release and advertise it on thanksgiving. Until then, the layout, look, and feel are still not set. This is your chance to be a critic. Please stop by and comment, read some posts, and post your feedback.

Here (http://limitlesslinux.wordpress.com) is my blog

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Oh quick note: If, while reading the few posts that i have up so far, come accross any errors, or mis-information, please let me know.

bingoUV
September 12th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Solaris is not a linux based OS. It comes under the category of "unix like" systems. Linux also comes under the same category.

Your dad will be able to explain better than a random poster on the 'net, so I'll leave at that.

fmartinez
September 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM
It's a good blog. But I think you may want too look at these things:
- It doesn't validate to W3C standards. It has about 600 some odd errors. I don't know if you have any control over this, but it maybe something too look at.
- Under the section "About the Author" there's some light text (the first line) that can't be read on the white background.
- After scrolling all the down to the end of the blog. There was no anchor to get back to the top.
- The "Labels" Section doen't take me any where.

Other than that the layout looks Great, the color scheme looks good too, Great job!

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks so much guys. Your input means a lot!!! Excuse me for my ignorance, but what are W3C standards?

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I like the design and the content seems pretty good so far. One complaint is the contrast of the text. It needs to be a bit darker because I'm straining my eyes a bit reading it at the moment.

W3C: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3C
Validate your html/xhtml: http://validator.w3.org/
Validate your CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

fmartinez
September 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM
W3C stands for the World Wide Web Consortium. This is the group that basically writes the rules / standards for HTML code, JavaScript.... and other languages. They decide what peices of code will deprecate.... This site will check you website any errors in your code, tell what the errors are, and basically how to fix them.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Well, I'm using a template I found and really liked. Is there a program I can graphically (Instead of going into all the code, which isn't hard, just time consuming) edit the template? I realize the contrast is a lil weird.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Ok, I fixed the contrast issue. Now the Text is not so blended into the shade of the background.

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Edit: You fixed it already, that's a lot easier to read.

You might be able to use something like Kompozer to edit the template but I'm not sure.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Well guys, thank you all so much. And please, if it's no trouble to you, keep checking back to the blog and giving input. Well I have to bus in early to college tomorrow, so peace out fellow Ubuntuers.

fmartinez
September 12th, 2008, 04:41 AM
You have the same issue in the middle section on the month "September". Looks like there's a JPG behind part of it, but the rest blends in the background and makes it hard to read.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I actually kinda liked that, but i guess it's more of an eye strain then actually cool. I'll change it and see how it looks. Thanks man.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a way in blogger to fix that. I think it's a gif, or it'll look for the code in the html.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Quick question related to web design, is there an Adobe Dreamweaver app for linux?

MatthewPlanchard
September 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Good stuff from all I've read. The fixed contrast is much nicer than when I read it last night.

The only error I've noticed is that 'distribution' is misspelled in the 'About the Author' section.

If anything, it makes me want to try out UT.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Haha, thanks for letting me know about the spelling error. I'll fix that immediately. UT is so much fun. Almost too much fun. I had to remove the icon from my launcher so that it wouldn't distract me from school.

Lord Xeb
September 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I like the layout. It is really clean :D

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Quick question related to web design, is there an Adobe Dreamweaver app for linux?

There's quanta and there's also Kompozer. I think quanta is more focussed on php programming and Kompozer more on simple WYSIWYG HTML and CSS.

cpetercarter
September 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM
There are indeed a very large number of validation errors in the webpage. To see them, go to http://validator.w3.org/ and type in the url of your blog. The "doctype" declaration at the top of your template says that it uses "XHTML1-strict", but frankly it doesn't! There is a long section of style information in the head section which ought to be in a separate style sheet, there is no closing tag for the head section, and the body section contains numerous html errors. I don't think that a WYSIWYG editor will help much - they tend to make good html bad, rather than the other way round. Fortunately, most browsers are incredibly forgiving and can make reasonable sense of the web page.

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Ok, so there are errors, do i HAVE to fix them? I don't have the time to really sit down and edit the html. I'm exactly sure how to with the site thing you guys showed me. So the stuff in red is the error?

I'm rusty on my HTML too, i need to revive that old scripting stuff. I love the template, cause it's open, stressless, and very clean. I don't like a lot of deep colors making it seem dark. White makes things seem big.

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I could try a simple standard blog template, then change the colors around. What do you guys think?

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The first sentence:

I think i've finally found a template that i like.
When saying "I" the "I" is always capitalized. The sentence should read:

I think I've finally found a template that I like.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Also, if you can, change the font. I find it to be a bit annoying. (Not really high priority, just a thought.)

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for the input. Seeing that the site is still beta, then I'll try some other fonts out. and fix those I errors. Rock on man.

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Alright, how's that? blog (http://limitlesslinux.blogspot.com)

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Out of curiosity, did you not have another thread similar to this one?

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Nope, this is the only thread. I refrain from doing multiple threads on the same topic, because it just gets people irritated. Some one else had something on their banner, but that wasn't me.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
The font is better. Is it Georgia?

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The new template looks horrible.

Just trying to help.

--

It looks like wordpress, is it?

There a hundreds of great looking free themes for wordpress.

littletinman
September 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Well what exactly don;t you like about it? I want my template to be light colored, preferably white. Is wordpess better then blogger?

MatthewPlanchard
September 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Okay, so not to nit pick or whatnot, but personally I preferred the sans-serif font.

Of course, that's a matter of personal preference, and I think you should just choose whichever *you* prefer looking at.

voteforpedro36
September 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I understand about white, but what about changing it from #ffffff to something not quite as white? It doesn't bother me now, but if it was 2 AM, it might. Especailly with the font. It really does look pretty good, and you may want to disregard my opinion right now, because I might be crazy.

"He uses Ubuntu as his main operating system, and expiriments with different versions of this distribution." experiments instead of expiriments, I believe.

littletinman
September 14th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Hey dude, let's face it, us geeks spend our free time staring at a box that lights up and we work with a system that is only representable on a screen. I think I'm crazy too. And seeing that I LOVE working with computers so much, I believe that classifies me as a genuine freak. But I might be wrong. I'm honoured though, to be titled as a geek by my close friends. It is a very high honour in my book.

Anyway, White is like great, but you're right, a lil bright for 2 am. Then again, you should probably be sleeping at 2 am. Whatever happened to early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.

Nit-picky is good. It means you are being specific. I want all criticism, you can't offend me, it's just not easily done. I consider my blog to be owned by the reader. After all, I want others to read it, not just me. That's why I want to hear from you guys/gals, the people who read this kind of blog.

God bless you all, and for everyone's sake, get some sleep at 2 am. Geeks are weird enough without being half asleep during the day.Chuckle

littletinman
September 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, new location for my blog. I'm using wordpress now, because it's more customizable. It has what I need and I like the themes.

NEW BLOG ADDRESS (limitlesslinux.wordpress.com)

littletinman
September 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Alright, i like the theme i have on there. Now it's time to perfect it. Please comment.