PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself...

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to linux, but have had a little experience using the shell interface, excuss me, the terminal... I have heard 'optimal aurora' at our college talk about how of all the linux distros, ubuntu was the easiest and the funnest one of all. I personally like Windows... But I am also love Mac OSX especially the new tiger... I am looking into alternatives to those but if they can't keep up with me, then I would have to say that I am not willing to use linux or what ever the case may be if it doesn't meet with my extreme approval.

I am a programmer (like a passing hobby), but mostly a person that is good at almost anything with a computer except computer gaming but I am getting use to it...

I would like to ask you all something...
"Is Linux really all that. I use programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop and MS Office and bucket loads of gaming namely flight sims... Before I install Ubuntu, will it work with all of these legally and easily with my Aurora ALX..."

BoyOfDestiny
November 18th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to linux, but have had a little experience using the shell interface, excuss me, the terminal... I have heard 'optimal aurora' at our college talk about how of all the linux distros, ubuntu was the easiest and the funnest one of all. I personally like Windows... But I am also love Mac OSX especially the new tiger... I am looking into alternatives to those but if they can't keep up with me, then I would have to say that I am not willing to use linux or what ever the case may be if it doesn't meet with my extreme approval.

I am a programmer (like a passing hobby), but mostly a person that is good at almost anything with a computer except computer gaming but I am getting use to it...

I would like to ask you all something...
"Is Linux really all that. I use programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop and MS Office and bucket loads of gaming namely flight sims... Before I install Ubuntu, will it work with all of these legally and easily with my Aurora ALX..."

Welcome, yes Linux is really "all that", although it has some rough edges (although constantly improving). Anyway I can't speak for osx, but if you can put up wtih windows, you'll find some things much easier in ubuntu.

As for your windows apps, I haven't used ms office in ages... Check out this page and see how your windows apps rate compatibility wise:

http://www.winehq.com/

Brunellus
November 18th, 2005, 04:41 AM
your games will probably not work, especially if they depend on DirectX.

As far as getting productive: for image work, GIMP suited my needs quite well--but I'm not an intensive advanced Photoshop user. as to the rest of it, there are usually equivalents these days. and when there aren't, there's always WINE.

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Aurora didn't tell me about wine, what is that? That isn't a drink now is it...

YourSurrogateGod
November 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Welcome.

Wine is a piece of software that allows you to run some windows apps in linux.

bored2k
November 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM
What you first have to accept is the fact that Linux is not Windows. Although several applications try to emulate Windows programs on Linux, most of them won't work. Once you get past that fact and try as hard as you can to accomodate yourself into using applications which aren't those you use on Windows you'll be a lot better. If you love OS X, I think you are used to doing the same thing using different methods/applications, so maybe what I just said wasn't needed :).

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
What you first have to accept is the fact that Linux is not Windows. Although several applications try to emulate Windows programs on Linux, most of them won't work. Once you get past that fact and try as hard as you can to accomodate yourself into using applications which aren't those you use on Windows you'll be a lot better. If you love OS X, I think you are used to doing the same thing using different methods/applications, so maybe what I just said wasn't needed :).
Yes and No, I have had a found that things my Photoshop work well with my Mac and Dreamweaver work well under windows (partly anyway), but yes I have seen that you have to have lots of what I call crap under windows and in windows everything is wizard based... Mac OSX every now and then I use my terminal to access certain areas and do certain things to my system.

Optimal Aurora, which is a class mate of mine, said she liked it but she isn't as geeky as me, as a result she is still using windows. But I want learn linux. I previously cut the dependency to windows for my office and homework as well as using it for most of my class work as well. I however have a problem with certain windows only games that I have so windows is still there.

I just what I am trying to say is that I am a Mac lover, I can't and don't want to be without my Mac but I want to learn other OSs as well. Linux would make the 3rd OS I have tried (windows, FreeBSD for about 1 month and Mac OS9 - OSX since about 2001).

bored2k
November 18th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Well, you can certaintly get applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver to run on Linux .. partially (not as good as running them natively; no need to fill your head with a how-to at this point).

As much as I'd like to tell anyone how good Linux in general is and how above/below other OS it is, I honestlty believe that users coming from OS X Tiger have the hardest time actually making the switch, so I really wouldn't be surprised if Linux stayed as your 3rd OS.

I could also fill your head with a lot of "Linux lets you learn and better yourself" jargon, but instead of scaring you into exposée-ing yourself away from the forums, i'll let you deduce the Linux philosophy with this little "joke" ;):

Macs are for those who don't want to know why their computer works.
Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.
DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn't work.
Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer doesn't work.

Note: loving the anime avatar.

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 06:12 AM
What I have seen to looking at other areas of the forums, lots of people seem to have problems with ubuntu. That has me a little worried, I have had windows crash a lot on me, especially during Windows ME. Is Ubuntu really a stable distribution... My Mac hasn't crash yet and that is about 4 or 5 years ago. And Windows XP hasn't crash but twice since 2003...

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Macs are for those who don't want to know why their computer works.
Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.
DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn't work.
Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer doesn't work.
That's cute... Thank you for the comment about my anime avatar... She is the Goddess Washu (Washu's adult form) from Tenchi Muyo...

bored2k
November 18th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Off-Topic: Hmm looks (http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=205) like shoujo-oriented (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=3) type. Not my (http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=mylist&uid=95671)thing ;).

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Off topic: I didn't see you have Ghost in the Shell or Ghost in the Shell SAC or the 2nd GiG listed (http://www.ghostintheshell.tv)listed... Why...

It looks like you like the Laughing Man's logo...

bored2k
November 18th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Off topic: I didn't see you have Ghost in the Shell or Ghost in the Shell SAC or the 2nd GiG listed (http://www.ghostintheshell.tv)listed... Why...

It looks like you like the Laughing Man's logo...
Off-topic: I actually have SAC in my list. It probably showed up on your end with its japanese name (Koukaku Kidoutai STAND ALONE COMPLEX). Haven't fetched 2nd GiG though.

For more anime talk, let's head (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45127&page=140&highlight=otaku) (we don't like thread-drifts here).

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I agree with the fact about thread drifts.

I had been looking at some screenshots of Ubuntu off of the main site and OSdir.com and it looks so (...) simplistic in look... I like bucket-loads of i-candy so is it possible to get Ubuntu to have lots of i-candy. I know my AMD-FX-55 Aurora ALX Windows computer can handle it. And my PowerMac G5 2.3GHz will too...

BoyOfDestiny
November 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with the fact about thread drifts.

I had been looking at some screenshots of Ubuntu off of the main site and OSdir.com and it looks so (...) simplistic in look... I like bucket-loads of i-candy so is it possible to get Ubuntu to have lots of i-candy. I know my AMD-FX-55 Aurora ALX Windows computer can handle it. And my PowerMac G5 2.3GHz will too...

Well for gnome:
gdesklets
http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/

Various Themes/Skins
www.gnome-look.org/

If that still isn't enough there are alternative window managers for gnome too...

There is also KDE, but better to get the info from a KDE user (I'm gnome only, I like simple/boring :) )

P.S You anime geeks... Ok I confess to recognizing both your avatars. :) Although I've cut down on anime mostly; just One Piece, Hokuto no Ken, Bleach, and Yakitate (subbed of course ;) .)

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Hay that's about the gnome-look.org, it doesn't seem any better. I say some things about making it look like my aqua interface does on my Mac, but that leaves a lot to be desired, heck I love the finder menu... But that aside, even my alienware aurora alx's AlienGUIse which you can find here, I use the Invader one, looks much more nicer... (http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx) looks better and more functional than those...

Also noticed that KDE-Look.org was there as a link in the lower left and KDE doesn't look any better customized...

Just curious, is there any performance advantage for running clean and simple? If there is would I notice it with a Dual G5 2.3GHz or the AMD FX 55 64bit chip running at 2.6GHz? Thanks

PS= Everyone has to at least watch anime every now and then...

Brunellus
November 18th, 2005, 03:24 PM
If you want aqua-esque eyecandy, run enlightenment DR 17. Transparency effects and other 3D goodness requires the (presently unstable and under development) xcompmgr package, the binary nvidia drivers, and of course an appropriate nvidia graphics card. Poofy should be able to give you a more complete response in this regard. Paging poofyhairguy.....

Clean and simple does give a significant performance edge all the time, especially if you're running RAM-intensive tasks. If I need to do a lot of work in the GIMP, for instance, I will use Fluxbox instead of GNOME; the memory savings are tremendous, and really help productivity.

Frankly, if you're going to obsess about eyecandy, GNU is not for you. Save yourself the trouble, stay with your Apple, and wait it out. Save yourself the trouble.

If your'e at all interested, however, run a liveCD already, and start trying things out. Nothing will convince or dissuade you like your own experience; posting on boards without actually even trying the livecd is not very productive.

Goddess_of_Linux
November 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah I tried the liveCD and have noticed that it won't let my Aurora system set the monitor resolution I am using on this system to 1280x1024 (whatever) @ 85Hz. I am tried reinstall xserver with the help of Optimal_Aurora but I can't get it to adjust my monitor settings, through the GUI or Command-Line... but tolerating this I have noticed too, that on my Aurora its seems to be a little challenged in 64bit mode. I mean that its running about, if not negiblely faster than 32bit windows... I have Windows Server 2003 trial 64bit version on my system on it and it runs faster with it than 64bit.

lotusleaf
November 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Hi

Hi, welcome to the Ubuntu Forums. :)

BoyOfDestiny
November 19th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Hay that's about the gnome-look.org, it doesn't seem any better. I say some things about making it look like my aqua interface does on my Mac, but that leaves a lot to be desired, heck I love the finder menu... But that aside, even my alienware aurora alx's AlienGUIse which you can find here, I use the Invader one, looks much more nicer... (http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx) looks better and more functional than those...

Also noticed that KDE-Look.org was there as a link in the lower left and KDE doesn't look any better customized...

Just curious, is there any performance advantage for running clean and simple? If there is would I notice it with a Dual G5 2.3GHz or the AMD FX 55 64bit chip running at 2.6GHz? Thanks

PS= Everyone has to at least watch anime every now and then...

Hmm, at gnome-look try searching for osx.

Did you look at gdesklets?

http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?screen_id=111845778743167b7983d79&p=screen

Take a gander at that screen shot. Not sure if it's what you want, but there is a lot more you can change/tweak.

Anyway as for monitor settings, mine work fine in 64-bit... For me it was a matter of entering vertical and horizontal sync numbers... Then everything was as it should be. :)

Omnios
November 19th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Welcome! and from reading above you seem to already be a member of the Ubuntu Community :) .

As for themes I use ish and gorilla icons not quite mack but sort of Linux-mackish.