PDA

View Full Version : Software suggestions for interactive website.

sydbat
September 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I hope that I am posting this in the correct board.

I am looking for a good software package (preferably open source, but does not have to be) that will allow me to do the following:

Post 'blog-like' articles including photos
Allow visitors to do the same
Integrate my forum software easily (SMF)
Create areas where people can participate in online courses
Allow my volunteers to post their own 'blogs'
Possibly create an online 'store'

I know there is more I would like to do, I just can't think of it right now.

Currently, my site is all HTML (with the exception of the SMF forum) and is a pain to update. I want to "automate" certain things, like have the uploaded photos watermarked.

I have looked at many packages, but am confused which will work best for me. Right now, Tiny Portal (an add-on for SMF) seems good.

Let me know what you think is a good content management-type software package.

Vitamin-Carrot
September 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Joomla

If your willing to put the effort in

BenAshton24
September 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
hmm, Idea :D how about you use Joomla, it does all the stuff that you want and it's really simple to set up. However you need to have php and mysql support on your server (you probably already have it if your website is hosted by a company) www.joomla.org if you need any help setting it up then just send me a message :D

hope this helps :D
Ben.

Edit: Vitamin-Carrot read my mind and then shortened the post so that he could post it before me :P

sydbat
September 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I've looked at it. But, as Vitamin-Carrot says, it does require a learning curve. After it is installed and formatted, etc, is it fairly easy to keep updated (content, software, you know)?