PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new ipods?

themissinglink1
September 11th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I personally love anything musically orientated from apple. But im not sure; a little underwhelming maybe? The design is still stunning but i was expecting more of an upgrade to the appearance of the classics and the touch but nanos are looking good. What do you guys think?

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ipods never appealed to me, and with apples policies they never will

plb
September 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
same here. I never liked the look of ipods

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I am not, or ever was, a fan of iPods.

For various reasons.

I think they are ugly. Drm. iTunes.

themissinglink1
September 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
A lot of my friends say the same but i dont know what it is about them..... maybe because ive had one every year since the first generation more of a habit. i still love the design despite apples policies, and they dont always work on ubuntu, but still my fav mp3/4 player

Whiffle
September 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Meh. My 4 year old ipod 4g is still kickin, but I liked my Iaudio M3 better. New ipods seem to be more fragile these days.

BlackLLama
September 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
im upset they discountinued the 80g, now i have to get a 120

SZF2001
September 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
More iPods? Jeez, I'm still trying to fit thirty gigs into my thirty gig old skool iPod. They should, I dunno, chill out.

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 11:45 PM
More iPods? Jeez, I'm still trying to fit thirty gigs into my thirty gig old skool iPod. They should, I dunno, chill out.

They are just looking at how much time they can sell the same thing to the same consumer.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 12th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Why don't they drop the scroll wheel and just have a clicky track pad? It's less limited...

Oh wait, that's for generation 17 or just in case people stop buying new ones every six months. Sorry about the leak, Apple.

hanzomon4
September 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Why don't they drop the scroll wheel and just have a clicky track pad? It's less limited...

Oh wait, that's for generation 17 or just in case people stop buying new ones every 6 months. Sorry about the leak, Apple!

Because it would be ugly, but you use Ubuntu and must like ugly (joking)...

But really I like ipods and itunes. These new ones are super cool but no 32 gig iPhone? I can't fit all my music on 16gb....

elmer_42
September 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I've never been an iPod fan. Right when I was first looking into buying a DAP, I saw a review for the Zen Micro. I bought one, then upgraded to a Zen Vision: M. I would go Creative again, but they haven't come out with a true ZV:M replacement yet =/. Hopefully they will by the time my ZV:M breaks, or I may go with Cowon or Archos.

Bart_D
September 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM
The first time I saw an ipod in real life, I thought it was a toy. When I held it in my hand, my first thought was "I bet I can crush this thing with one hand."

I can't stand them.....

elmer_42
September 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Did you try it? :lol:

Bart_D
September 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
No, I was inside a store and didn't/don't have the guts! I still feel the same way about them now. Although it's gone from crushing them to throwing them AS HARD AS POSSIBLE against the floor to utterly destroy them....

It's kinda like in that movie, Men In Black, where Q(?) picks up that massive alien killing weapon and hands the rookie(J) a miniature toy gun sized "deatomizer".

MidsummerDreams
September 12th, 2008, 02:00 AM
The day they release this iPod for $50 would be the day I buy one, which is far off the horizon so no worries about that happening. I wanted to get a red one a while back but knew it would get very very little use.

I'm just getting a new headunit for my car that plays MP3 discs for $150... so I feel that will work just fine.

Sinkingships7
September 12th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I think the new Nano's are gorgeous, but I need a much larger capacity than that... which is why I'm going to buy the new 120GB Classic @ $250 this holiday season!

Just a small counter-argument to the people who said they dislike them: I like the iPods. I, personally, think iTunes is the best music software out there, and that the iPods look great. That's just my opinion, and can't really be counted as an argument. However, I don't think it's fair to dislike iPods because of DRM. No one said you have to abide by it. I hate the music iTunes sells as much as the next guy, but who said you have to buy it? I just buy my own CD's and rip them. I get them at the quality I want, and without any restrictions. Music titles and ID3 tags are automagically complete upon ripping, and there's no DRM to stop you from making copies. There's probably things I'm overlooking in your logic, so feel free to discuss.

Just remember to discuss, and only discuss. I'm not looking for a fight, just a friendly discussion. :)

EDIT: I really want an iRiver, though... does anybody know where I can get one? Their website sucks at easily pointing a potential customer towards that.
EDIT2: Nevermind on the 'where to find them' question. I found out :p. However, feel free to discuss them if you have an opinion. I'd like to hear it.

Iandefor
September 12th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I'm less than excited about the redesign (I thought the smaller, squat nanos were way sexier- the screen looks too long on this one), but the upgrade in storage capacity so you can get 8GB of flash (I've had bad luck with HDD-based players) for $150 US is kind of nice. I'd pay $150 for 8GB in a small form-factor.

zmjjmz
September 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I've never actually bought an iPod, I just got three (over the course of three years, seriously) for my Bar Mitzvah.
iPod Nano 1G 4GB (Now has Rockbox and is awesome)
iPod Video 2G 80GB (That's more HDD space than my laptop. IMO, the hard drive takes too long to start up so I always get these annoying pauses in between songs).
iPod Touch 1G 8GB (It's at 1.1.4, Jailbroken. I'll have to put off upgrading to 2.0 jailbroken when iTunes plays nice with QuickPwn.)

I don't think I'll ever _need_ to buy another one, these ones suit me and my measly music collection just fine.

matthekc
September 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I think my archos rocks

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-605-wifi-30gb/4505-6499_7-32477556.html

But I like music videos as well as mp3's

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I think this video accurately describes how I feel about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF-qX72om5w

themissinglink1
September 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
hehe i like that ad. Know how she feels :) They do upgrade their products unbelievable quickly and generally no warning either :) I understand the DRM pisses people off a lot but i still couldn't be without itunes or my beloved ipods.... maybe ive just been suckered in by apple because i seem to buy every new upgrade that comes out....... wish i had waited a little before i bought my classic though missed out on 40 gigs :(