PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] On line catalog preempts my desktop

mikebravo
September 11th, 2008, 09:06 PM
TSC stands for Tractor Supply Company. (a farm and ranch hardware store) I went to their website www.tscstores.com and clicked on view catalog. It shows me their current sales flyer where I can click on the corner of their catalog to turn the page, and all was good until I wanted to return to Firefox and browse elsewhere, and realized I could not get off the catalog page. I clicked here and there and tried key combinations until I was blue in the face. I could not return to my browser.

A right click on the background gave a dialog box saying "settings" and "About Adobe Flash Player 9". At the bottom of the page it says "waiting for zegapi.com". My "Send Link in Email" icon was in the upper left of the screen but clicking on it had no effect. My shutdown/reboot button was no where to be seen. Control+Alt+Backspace was my last option and it worked provided I elected to start a new session of Firefox. Can someone please tell me what is going on here, and how I can get back to my browser without having to dump everything and log back on?

HardyHeron, 1280x1024 display

SkonesMickLoud
September 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Sounds like an issue with TSC's website. I've never had the issue you're talking about on their site, and I go there quite a bit.

In the future, you could try CTRL + ALT + F2 and typing "killall firefox" or "xkill" and then clicking on the Firefox window. Unfortunately this doesn't work on individual tabs, but I hear that the ability to kill a single tab is in the works...

Sorry I can't help more. Sounds like a frustrating problem.

hrod beraht
September 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
When you click on their sales-flyer link, it spawns a new browser window (without the button bar). If that window is in full-screen mode (F11), it oddly gets stuck and you can't F11 to get out of full-screen mode.

However, if you hit Alt+Tab, you can cycle through all of your open programs and get back to the main Firefox window and then close the errant sales-flyer window by right-clicking it's button on the bottom panel.

Weird. And yet another reason I don't particularly like Flash.

Bob

RomeReactor
September 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi. Alternatively, whenever you get a full screen pop-up you can press ALT+F4 to close the window.