PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo to stop shipping with linux

toupeiro
September 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/11/1913229&from=rss

*Lenovo Boycott, ACTIVATE*

LaRoza
September 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It is a shame. No reasoning either. They were the first to offer Linux on laptops, now they are stopping just when it is becoming attractive to their competitors to offer Linux.

Dr Small
September 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe they got a new boss....

LaRoza
September 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Maybe they got a new boss....

Yes, they are the new boss. Lenovo is the new boss, and it seems they have axed Linux very early for no stated reason.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, they are the new boss. Lenovo is the new boss, and it seems they have axed Linux very early for no stated reason.

Truly, its a sign they've broken their ties with IBM. As I said. BOYCOTT! I wont be buying their hardware anymore.

zmjjmz
September 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
One of the commenters (although AC) said that they were just going to stop selling it through their website, and that resellers will still be able to sell them.

LaRoza
September 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM
One of the commenters (although AC) said that they were just going to stop selling it through their website, and that resellers will still be able to sell them.

Yes, the only place where we could get Linux Thinkpads because stores don't carry it.

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
That's a shame! Just bought a Lenovo. The only thing that sucked was the pre-installed Vista. Used it for five minutes, wiped it off and installed Ubuntu. Though it's great, that IBM/Lenovo laptops are to compatible with Linux. Still a shame, because paying for at operating system you'll wipe off five minutes after use. It would be great if you could have a choice to choose a computer with or without OS.

zmjjmz
September 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Well, at least they'll have to maintain hardware compatibility for enterprise users.

legolas_w
September 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
They have a new agreement with microsoft so they only offer MS OSs with their laptops.
however you can ask for a refund if you dont use the windows. they will ask you to sign a some agreement and send back the hologram along with the disk and they will give back your money.

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Well, at least they'll have to maintain hardware compatibility for enterprise users.

well, actually it's their choice of hardware that's compatible.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
For what its worth, I did write lenovo stating the following:

Dear Lenovo Sales,

I'm writing regarding your recent decision to discontinue shipping your Thinkpad laptops with the option of a Linux operating system. It greatly disappoints me to hear of this decision. I am responsible for a tremendous amount of support and purchase influence where I work, and for years we have chosen the Thinkpad line. Lately, we have been casually testing some other competitors high-end laptops, which provide wonderful linux support. The decision you have made has put me in the position to make a decision in response. If you will not consider linux a valuable offering to your customerbase, I must consider other vendors before Lenovo to provide hardware. It saddens me in a more personal way, to see how you have taken the reputation IBM has built with the linux community, and cast all that work and development aside with little to no public explanation. I wish you well with your decision, and regretfully inform you that I will no longer be a customer or supportave voice for Lenovo equipment so long as this measure to drop Linux is in effect.

Sincerely,

karellen
September 11th, 2008, 09:32 PM
maybe they stopped shipping Linux boxes because they weren't profitable enough. for Lenovo Linux it's just a business, nothing more or less

graabein
September 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
There's always some big company starting or stopping their Linux line of computers. What ever man. With hand held devices and ultra portables and Vista's downfall, Linux has gained a bigger market share and is definitely on the rise. Lenovo will come crawling back. Eat popcorn guys.

:popcorn:

LaRoza
September 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
maybe they stopped shipping Linux boxes because they weren't profitable enough. for Lenovo Linux it's just a business, nothing more or less

Like IBM didn't know what they were doing? Or Dell?

Whiffle
September 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Agreed. Seems to me like Lenovo was "testing the waters" so to speak, to see if selling linux equipped machines is worth the extra hassle. Apparently its not. Seems to me that most linux users are going to use linux no matter what brand of computer they're using, and they'll probably want to install it themselves anyway.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Big mistake with linux becoming more popularized...

smoker
September 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Additionally, the world's third-largest computer maker may have its own fine line to walk with Microsoft. For instance, Lenovo last summer began shipping one of its ThinkPad notebooks sold in the US with Linux (http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3626616) -- Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 --rather than Windows. While nothing has been said publicly, Microsoft in the past has sometimes demonstrated animosity, even if subtle, to PC vendors that play both sides of the street.
http://news.earthweb.com/bus-news/article.php/3677071

maybe it is all just a coincidence:confused:

anyway, there is plenty alternatives now:)

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM

I can't see how companies make money out of laptops pre-installed with Linux, but I think it would attract more dedicated users.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Right, as you can get a dell inspiron, real cheap and great looking too.
I might be getting one myself, heard good things about the model too.

karellen
September 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I can't see how companies make money out of laptops pre-installed with Linux, but I think it would attract more dedicated users.

in theory those laptops should be cheaper because the buyer doesn't have to pay for a Windows license too

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
in theory those laptops should be cheaper because the buyer doesn't have to pay for a Windows license too

That was my point.

aysiu
September 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Considering how many people here buy Vista-preinstalled computers and then install Linux later instead of buying Linux preinstalled, I'm not surprised.

aysiu
September 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
That was my point.
I don't agree at all.

All the reasons I've outlined here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/dell-inspiron-mini-pricing-scandal/) for Dell also apply to Lenovo, which also "happens to" recommend Windows Vista all of its website.

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Considering how many people here buy Vista-preinstalled computers and then install Linux later instead of buying Linux preinstalled, I'm not surprised.

If I had a choice I wouldn't buy it with Vista pre-installed, but that's just a way of making easy money.

sydbat
September 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe Microsoft used pressure tactics...telling Lenovo that if they did not stop selling non-Windows laptops, Microsoft would pull out of any deals they have. Whether it is legal or not, Microsoft has done this in the past (threaten, that is) to get their way...and any company wanting to make money selling a product that needs an OS, will choose one that is well known, and would stop selling a relatively unknown/significantly smaller market share OS.

Casper Hansen
September 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't agree at all.

All the reasons I've outlined here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/dell-inspiron-mini-pricing-scandal/) for Dell also apply to Lenovo, which also "happens to" recommend Windows Vista all of its website.

My point was, that I can't see how they make money out of selling systems pre-installed with Linux. And with a price higher than er Vista pre-installed it's not working, it only upsets people. And with unhappy customers you have nothing to sell.

karellen
September 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
at the same price tag if I'd have to choose between a laptop with Linux preinstalled and a laptop with Windows, I'd pick the latter one. more value for the same money (and a good opportunity for dual-booting)

mihai.ile
September 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I hope that Dell will not follow this...
I am really thinking of buying one of those M1330 laptops with ubuntu as soon as I got the money...

aysiu
September 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM
at the same price tag if I'd have to choose between a laptop with Linux preinstalled and a laptop with Windows, I'd pick the latter one. more value for the same money (and a good opportunity for dual-booting)
And that's probably why Lenovo stopped shipping with Linux.

FranMichaels
September 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with this deal (although this was reported on a year ago...)
http://www.chinabusinessblog.com/2007/09/27/retailing-microsoft-office-in-china-microsoft-lenovo-and-gome/

As for Vista coming with a computer, it came on the last one I got for the household (dell tower from costco.) I had to reboot once, so I could go into the bios and set boot from CD. Then Ubuntu 64 8.04.1 heh. It would be nice if they would just offer a no OS option, and chop 50 bucks off. I personally don't care if they pre-install my favorite OS, with the livecd the Ubuntu install being seriously trivial.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Quite frankly,

If they cannot figure out how they can sell pre-installed linux on a laptop cheaper than pre-installed vista, then perhaps they deserve whatever backlash they get from this decision.

paul101
September 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
i think lenovos crazy not to tap into the sub £225 linux notebook trend!

SZF2001
September 11th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Oh no, a company made a financial decision, let's crap our pants and cry like man-children.

el mariachi
September 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_NH3EBUK?open&OpenDocument&epi=web_express
they're still selling them with Suse on the uk site. I think it's not worth it for me since I'm in Portugal... it just costs too much to "import".

danbuter
September 12th, 2008, 02:07 AM
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9114485&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

Blah. And I was looking at Thinkpads. While I can still get one from other retailers, this kinda stinks.

toupeiro
September 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Oh no, a company made a financial decision, let's crap our pants and cry like man-children.

=;

When you have a vested interest in a companies product because of what they choose to offer, then without notice or reason pull that out from under your feet, pretend like you don't care.

If you've been one of those who has to answer to someone for the financial direction you take technology, this is not exactly great news if the direction you took is lenovo for Linux support.

In my case, I'm exceedingly good at not letting a company that decides making unannounced, irrational and illogical moves is going to be a part of its forward moving strategy burn me more than once. I hope this provides all the profit they predict, though I sincerely doubt it will.

karellen
September 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM
=;

When you have a vested interest in a companies product because of what they choose to offer, then without notice or reason pull that out from under your feet, pretend like you don't care.

If you've been one of those who has to answer to someone for the financial direction you take technology, this is not exactly great news if the direction you took is lenovo for Linux support.

In my case, I'm exceedingly good at not letting a company that decides making unannounced, irrational and illogical moves is going to be a part of its forward moving strategy burn me more than once. I hope this provides all the profit they predict, though I sincerely doubt it will.

well I suppose from Lenovo point of view the decision is not at all irrational and illogical...;)

TheSlipstream
September 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Bah, big deal. Nobody was buying Linux pre-installed when they could get Windows for the same price, and spend an hour installing Linux. I'd prefer if they would supply Linux, but they weren't exactly helping us anyway, not like IBM or Dell (and of course, Intel, AMD and Nvidia). When the biggest software company in the world is pressuring you to dump something that you never profited from anyway, why wouldn't you?

Oh, and for the record, my next laptop will be a Thinkpad, probably with Ubuntu 9.04 on it. ;)

SZF2001
September 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
=;

Exactly how many people bought this product that they would feel they'd need to make an announcement? People were given a choice, people picked Windows, the company pulls the Linux product because it's a wasted investment, Linux forum users cry. Lenovo makes some good products and because some people didn't buy Linux pre-installed doesn't mean everyone should go to RAGE-BOYCOTT-THISCOMPANYISEVIL-WINDOWSHAFT-DUR mode.

graabein
September 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Exactly how many people bought this product that they would feel they'd need to make an announcement? People were given a choice, people picked Windows, the company pulls the Linux product because it's a wasted investment, Linux forum users cry. Lenovo makes some good products and because some people didn't buy Linux pre-installed doesn't mean everyone should go to RAGE-BOYCOTT-THISCOMPANYISEVIL-WINDOWSHAFT-DUR mode.

But it's so tempting and satisfying to cry out and panic!

:lolflag:

el mariachi
September 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I wanted a t61 not sure if I could get one here though...
aaargh now I'll have to compare another 1000 laptops again :'(

Dragonbite
September 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
"Lenovo Launching Linux Netbooks"

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/11/lenovo-launching-linux-netbooks/
Lenovo has faced some criticism from Linux folks in recent days, amid reports that the company was abandoning desktop Linux preloads. In an email to The VAR Guy, Di Valerio clarified Lenovo’s strategy:

Our commitment to Linux has not changed. What’s changed is that customers will no longer be able to order Lenovo ThinkPads and ThinkCentres with pre-installed Linux via the lenovo.com website. We are still certifying Linux pre-loads on ThinkPads and ThinkCentres, but most of those customers typically order either through their Lenovo Sales team or Lenovo Business Partner.
In addition, we will be delivering new Linux offerings on our new Lenovo servers, and Ideapad Netbook education models, scheduled for release in September and October respectively.

Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, predicted that Netbooks running Ubuntu would be available in all major U.S. computer retail stores in late 2008 or 2009.

They are really starting to confuse me!

toupeiro
September 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I'm on a forum, but I'm not representing a party consisting of only forum members that buy 1 LAPTOP per x amount of years when I am stating my opinion. If you don't share the same opinion as me, thats fine, but if you've never been in the position I am coming from, maybe you should try it before you think I'm raging without good reason. :)

Phasmus
September 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I'm on a forum, but I'm not representing a party consisting of only forum members that buy 1 LAPTOP per x amount of years when I am stating my opinion. If you don't share the same opinion as me, thats fine, but if you've never been in the position I am coming from, maybe you should try it before you think I'm raging without good reason. :)

If I may ask (I readily concede that it's none of my business!) about how many of Lenovo's Linux laptops did you purchase while they were available?

I'd have thought reliable Linux-compatible hardware would be the main concern to a Linux-using 'buy X laptops every X weeks' type customer. Unless the issue is avoiding the Windows Tax, but I'm not sure if their pricing scheme allowed for that previously.

I detect a sort of "They did something bad, I'm gonna show them!" vibe, but it isn't clear to me what else the right decision on Lenovo's part would have been, if (almost) nobody is buying a product they're selling...

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Microsoft realizes the threat of linux to thier enterprise. I kinda wonder if they're giving special discounts to Lenevo if they don't use linux. It wouldn't surprise me, but again this is just opinion and speculation, not fact.

zmjjmz
September 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
"Lenovo Launching Linux Netbooks"

They are really starting to confuse me!

Guys, that post.
Apparently they just don't want them on the website, but since they're still offering them, it's obviously just that they don't seem to see the need for them on the website?
I don't know, they've lost me too.

toupeiro
September 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
If I may ask (I readily concede that it's none of my business!) about how many of Lenovo's Linux laptops did you purchase while they were available?

I'd have thought reliable Linux-compatible hardware would be the main concern to a Linux-using 'buy X laptops every X weeks' type customer. Unless the issue is avoiding the Windows Tax, but I'm not sure if their pricing scheme allowed for that previously.

I detect a sort of "They did something bad, I'm gonna show them!" vibe, but it isn't clear to me what else the right decision on Lenovo's part would have been, if (almost) nobody is buying a product they're selling...

After thinking about it a bit, it really doesn't matter how many "I" bought in X weeks or X months, or how many others were bought and sold by my direction. That was not the best debating point I could have made. I'm not going to pretend like the amount I bought should be a pivoting point in their decision making, but I am also not so foolish to believe I'm the ONLY one who tried to set a precident with Thinkpads based on their decision to natively support linux. I am going to back off the quantity portion, because I couldn't honestly tell you how many, but here is my underlying point

Considering IBM/Lenovo's mission statement behind why Linux was being supported on them in the first place which was not to avoid the windows tax, but to provide well known and industry tested and trusted hardware that natively supports linux, I think they betrayed a lot of business deals during a time when linux at the desktop/laptop has never been stronger. IBM saw value in linux pre-installed laptops, I see value in that as well. Such, I believe, is enough grounds to push Lenovo whenever possible to people running Linux. Until now, that is.

And yes, you are definately sensing the vibe correctly. I am very much saying, in my opinion, YOU (Lenovo) made a bad decision, and I'll show you by choosing other vendors offering hardware solutions that support Linux natively. Why would I continue to give business to a company that drops a platform I make my livelyhood supporting? There are other vendors, with a lot more coming on all the time, who seem to figure out a way to support linux and not lose money or business. As I said, if somehow it made financial sense for them to do it, then fine, but you can only assume thats the reason since they really declared no official reason. If it is truly the reason, then it makes as much financial sense to me to do the exact same thing with them at this juncture. How would it sound if someone came to me wanting to buy a laptop that will be supported with linux installed, and I recommended them a laptop from a company that made a conscious decision to drop their support of it? To me, it shows a complete disconnect with IBM's vision with Thinkpad laptops which attracted me in the first place.

Lenovo will do what they choose to do, but I fail to see the problem with boycotting a company that is, in a sense, boycotting the OS I support. I'm not expecting anyone to follow suit, but that doesn't mean I wont take a stand for the reason why I am doing so. Its not rage and OMGWTF, its just where I am coming from.

SZF2001
September 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Microsoft realizes the threat of linux to thier enterprise. I kinda wonder if they're giving special discounts to Lenevo if they don't use linux. It wouldn't surprise me, but again this is just opinion and speculation, not fact.

Linux isn't a threat, it's a hobby. You can show your Compiz and Linux installs and get people to go "Wow, thats pretty neat!" but it's not going to make them say "Wow, I guess I'll give up everything I already know about a Windows install and just start all over again when it comes to learning about my computer! I mean I'm already past that phase but I'd LOVE to do it all over again!"

Microsoft doesn't need to worry about Linux, it needs to worry about actual competition (money wise).

zmjjmz
September 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Which Linux, though you may not seem to care, actually provides.
Linux isn't all about Compiz (though many people seem to think that), and there are many reasons to use it besides Compiz. Cost is a factor, security is a factor, open source is a factor, better quality software is a factor, etc.

el mariachi
September 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM
When I think about Linux, I think about all the money I save on Antivirus, Antispyware, Anti(instert bad thing here) - in other words, Linux saves me money, by being better, it's win-win :D

SZF2001
September 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Where is the competition when you can get one thing for free versus something you buy?

And you can make the argument, "Well people will obviously take the free thing versus the thing you buy". But how can something that can't really even be taxed be a part of any sort of market competition? MS and Apple provide hardware and operating systems with tech support because people buy the tech support so they don't have to waste time Googling and posting on forums, they can just yell at some dude to fix it and go golfing half an hour later.

aysiu
September 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Where is the competition when you can get one thing for free versus something you buy?

And you can make the argument, "Well people will obviously take the free thing versus the thing you buy". But how can something that can't really even be taxed be a part of any sort of market competition? MS and Apple provide hardware and operating systems with tech support because people buy the tech support so they don't have to waste time Googling and posting on forums, they can just yell at some dude to fix it and go golfing half an hour later.
Linux can be and is sold, and support for Linux can be and is charged for.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374
http://www.canonical.com/services/support

el mariachi
September 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
so the answer is: "Open-Source" or "GPL'ed" repair/support centers? that would be neat actually, something like a time bank

SZF2001
September 13th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Linux can be and is sold, and support for Linux can be and is charged for.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374
http://www.canonical.com/services/support

Well I'll be.

Still doesn't mean you should boycott Lenovo though.

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 12:25 AM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/11/1913229&from=rss

*Lenovo Boycott, ACTIVATE*

It's about time I asked this question.

Who/what the hell is Lenovo?

I have never seen anything made by them anywhere.

zmjjmz
September 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM

Have you been living under a rock for four years?

t0p
September 13th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Guys, that post.
Apparently they just don't want them on the website, but since they're still offering them, it's obviously just that they don't seem to see the need for them on the website?
I don't know, they've lost me too.

Makes sense to me... I think... :confused: Lenovo don't think it's worth advertising the Linux-preinstalled thinkpads because everyone who would want to buy such a machine already knows about them. At least, that's what Lenovo believe. Does that make any sense to you?

Also, their plan to sell Linux-loaded netbooks shows that they haven't morphed into Linux-haters. The ultra-portable notebook market is quickly becoming a major channel for Linux distribution, and Lenovo sure want a piece of that lemon pie!!

t0p
September 13th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Well I'll be.

Still doesn't mean you should boycott Lenovo though.

Why not?

Just about every bogus argument you've come up with in this thread has been shot down in flames. So if you say we shouldn't boycott Lenovo, that makes me think maybe I ought to.

SZF2001
September 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Why not?

Just about every bogus argument you've come up with in this thread has been shot down in flames. So if you say we shouldn't boycott Lenovo, that makes me think maybe I ought to.

In flames? I've only had one question answered.

Dragonbite
September 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Lenovo is the Chinese company that purchased IBM's computer hardware business and now is the owner/seller/maker of Thinkpad laptops and desktops. In the beginning they left the IBM logo on the machines but I don't think they continue that anymore.

I am not sure about their business, since IBM still has their G5 (G6?) chip they distribute on their servers.

xArv3nx
September 13th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Which Linux, though you may not seem to care, actually provides.
Linux isn't all about Compiz (though many people seem to think that), and there are many reasons to use it besides Compiz. Cost is a factor, security is a factor, open source is a factor, better quality software is a factor, etc.
-slowly reads to himself-

"..Cost is a factor, security is a factor, open source is a factor, better quality software is a facto--what the nublar?"

How did you come to that conclusion? All the Linux software I've seen is far less superior than it's Windows/Mac counterparts.

Examples:

OpenOffice -- Microsoft Office/iWorks
Pidgin -- Windows Live Messenger/iChat
GIMP -- Adobe Photoshop (Mac/Windows)

And.. security isn't really a problem with Vista (or XP, really, unless you're really stupid). I haven't used antivirus software in years, nor have I had a virus in years.

BTW, open source is for nerds. (H)

zmjjmz
September 13th, 2008, 03:46 AM
My my, the trolls are out in force today.
Half the proprietary software I've gone through setting up Windows machines is complete and utter crap, and a large percentage wants me to pay significant sums of money for things that open source competitor offer for free.

I will say no more of the subject, because it is quite off topic.

Casper Hansen
September 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
-slowly reads to himself-

"..Cost is a factor, security is a factor, open source is a factor, better quality software is a facto--what the nublar?"

How did you come to that conclusion? All the Linux software I've seen is far less superior than it's Windows/Mac counterparts.

Examples:

OpenOffice -- Microsoft Office/iWorks
Pidgin -- Windows Live Messenger/iChat
GIMP -- Adobe Photoshop (Mac/Windows)

And.. security isn't really a problem with Vista (or XP, really, unless you're really stupid). I haven't used antivirus software in years, nor have I had a virus in years.

BTW, open source is for nerds. (H)

That's your opninion. I think it's superior, that I can get a good alternative for free.

toupeiro
September 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Knowledge is power:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/08/08/vista39s-security-rendered-completely-useless-by-new-exploit

I hope you feel enlightened....

FrankVdb
September 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Why the hell does everyone think that Linux will generate sales just because it is offered as an alternative OS?

If there are no marketing efforts to support a product, it will die, no matter how good it is.

Apparently, Dell is having the same problem as Lenovo: consumers are not interested. Well, that's pretty normal. Most people have never heard of Linux.

Have you ever seen publicity for a Linux product in the mainstream press?

zmjjmz
September 15th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Why the hell does everyone think that Linux will generate sales just because it is offered as an alternative OS?

If there are no marketing efforts to support a product, it will die, no matter how good it is.

Apparently, Dell is having the same problem as Lenovo: consumers are not interested. Well, that's pretty normal. Most people have never heard of Linux.

Have you ever seen publicity for a Linux product in the mainstream press?

Well, Dell hasn't exactly been marketing it, nor was Lenovo.
Maybe the tech world knows about it, but the average consumer doesn't have a clue (and I've talked to them too, I can confirm that most Dell customers don't know what Ubuntu is and didn't know Dell was offering it).

t0p
September 15th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Well, Dell hasn't exactly been marketing it, nor was Lenovo.
Maybe the tech world knows about it, but the average consumer doesn't have a clue (and I've talked to them too, I can confirm that most Dell customers don't know what Ubuntu is and didn't know Dell was offering it).

I think that was FrankVdb's point?

littletinman
September 15th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Chuckle, wow, we def got way off topic on a couple places. I honestly think Linux will rise in popularity. I know MANY with disagree, but I really believe it. I really think Linux will be much more than a free "alternative" some day.

The world is run buy geeks and nerds. I know that was random, but heck, it's kinda true.

hvac3901
September 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM
They have a new agreement with microsoft so they only offer MS OSs with their laptops.
however you can ask for a refund if you dont use the windows. they will ask you to sign a some agreement and send back the hologram along with the disk and they will give back your money.

What disk, my lenovo thinkpad did not come with one.

Casper Hansen
September 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
What disk, my lenovo thinkpad did not come with one.

Neither did it with my Lenovo. It's because they've made a partition on the hard drive for backup Vista. No use for us.