PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just a couple little things....

MacKai
September 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've been enjoying my slow migration to Ubuntu (I'll have to wait for the Android launch to complete it) but I've run in to a couple of little thing lately

When the computer is idle the screen used to Fade slowly to black. but in the last couple of days it goes black quickly. I like the old way but can't find the setting. the screen saver is set to "blank screen" and 10 min. the power management setting is set to 11 min but the screen is going black in about 2 min

also under "places" there used to be shortcuts to "Videos" & "pictures" but they've disappeared. It happened a while ago and I don't remember what changes I might have made to cause it, any way how do i get them back...

Ken

Idefix82
September 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Can you start the terminal and type

ls

and tell me whether the folders Videos and Pictures are listed?

MacKai
September 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Yep, their there in Blue...

thanks

Ken

Idefix82
September 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
In that case you can just open the file browser, select the folder that you want to show up in the places menu and press Ctrl+D. That adds the folder as a bookmark which will then show up among other bookmarks in the places menu. Alternatively, select the folder and go to Bookmarks->Add Bookmark.
I hope, that helps.

MacKai
September 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back.... that did help for the Shortcut issue.

thanks Idefix82

anyone on the screen issue?

Ken

Idefix82
September 17th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Have you tried the Power Management settings under Preferences? Untick the box "Dim screen when idle" and adjust the time for sending the screen to sleep. See if that works.

MacKai
September 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
i think i figured it out. I thought i had tried this before but I was fooling around again last night thinking it had to be something simple and ....

it seems that the powers settings just black the screen out but the screen saver fades out so as long as the screen saver comes on before the power setting it fades... it's a little thing but i liked it, and i was more put off probably that i couldnt fix it.

thanks for the help

Ken