PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update from live cd?

aaron1011
September 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
i introduced myself to ubuntu with version 7.04, ubuntu ultimate installed with a live cd.

i added compiz-fusion, and tweaked my settings to get the rotating cube and and other cool effects.

in my short time with ubuntu i have found there are alot of things that installed with ubuntu ultimate that i really dont need and will never use.

i am getting another live cd that is version 8.10 and i would like to upgrade from that cd. is it possible to upgrade from a live cd and keep the effects settings in the process, i also have a large music collection in amarok which i don't want to lose.

what steps should i take when i receive my live cd?

i have tried the distribution upgrade download and i keep getting install errors with "kubuntu-docs", this has been happening when i try to install anything.

anyway i was going to go the live cd route.

overdrank
September 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
i introduced myself to ubuntu with version 7.04, ubuntu ultimate installed with a live cd.

i added compiz-fusion, and tweaked my settings to get the rotating cube and and other cool effects.

in my short time with ubuntu i have found there are alot of things that installed with ubuntu ultimate that i really dont need and will never use.

i am getting another live cd that is version 8.10 and i would like to upgrade from that cd. is it possible to upgrade from a live cd and keep the effects settings in the process, i also have a large music collection in amarok which i don't want to lose.

what steps should i take when i receive my live cd?

i have tried the distribution upgrade download and i keep getting install errors with "kubuntu-docs", this has been happening when i try to install anything.

anyway i was going to go the live cd route.

Hi and I believe you will need the alternate cd for the upgrade. Intrepid is still in development stage and you are more than likely to have issues. Also if you have 7.04 Feisty then you will need to update to each version at a time. Unless you do a clean install. Last if you have a separate home then most if not all your settings should be saved.