PDA

View Full Version : what's up with apple and microsoft these days...

eotakos
September 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
chears everyone, i know this is not a new topic but i've been ignoring what's happening, and now i want in! :-)

so... microsoft bought a bought a large peace of apple ...? and now what?

the apples are equipped with intel processors which means what?... they are capable of running windows?... or that pcs are capable of running leapards or tigers or any big cats? :confused:

sure everyone's saying that microsoft is taking it's fall, but i've looked over wiki, and it seems like even if it continues like this it'll be a reeaally long fall to hit the ground, or even to drop to apple's level. i know that there's not a direct comparison between the companies, but as a sort of speech... you know...

looking forward to reading opinions, facts, comments... anything :)

JetskiDude911
September 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Apple just switched to using Intel processors. That's all that really happened (this happened a few years ago). Macs can run Windows and Linux, but Apple has not released OS X to run on other hardware. You still have to have a Mac to run OS X.

You can install OS X on non Apple hardware, but it's not recommended and doesn't work all that great. You end up with a very broken operating system.

littletinman
September 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Well, I'll do some research when i have some time and post the results.

Apple, well they just released a ton of new stuff, including the new itunes. I wish they would have a Linux version, it's just soooo groovy looking. Their of course doing some new iPod stuff, and their iPhone is just amazing.

Windows, I'm kinda upset that they made Office 2008 for mac, and not windows. It is WAY better then 2007. runs better, looks better, and is just cool. They also have their new browser in Beta, but if it's anything like IE7, then Chrome will smash them in the smart world (meaning anyone smart enough to go out and look for something thats better).

Thier zune player is improving in looks and functionality, but unless it offers more then an iPod, i don't expect to see it go crazy. I might get one though, if they lower in price.

It even looks liek their going to offer a new phone. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/sep08/09-10CTIAMobilePhonesPR.mspx

Man thier website looks so ugly. They need ot make it look and feel like Vista AT LEAST!!!!

Anyways, that's all i have right now. hope that helps.

god0fgod
September 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
You can instal OS X on many hardware but it's really hard aparently. Apple should expand the compatibilty and reach the gap in the market.

eotakos
September 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Man thier website looks so ugly. They need ot make it look and feel like Vista AT LEAST!!!!

yeah! it's like it's left in the era of windows 2000 :-)

thanks everyone for posting

littletinman
September 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Seriously. you'd think that with the eye candy of vista, they'd have the grains to face lift the site.

god0fgod
September 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't count on it.

Macintosh Sauce
September 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Soon enough, Apple will overtake Microsoft in terms of market valuation. I am looking forward to that day... :) Party time!

littletinman
September 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
in my opinion, mac has FAR surpassed microsofts marketing and advertising capabilities. But Microsoft still has the most customers.

eotakos
September 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
the apple's advertising spots are very nice - i've enjoyed most of them

god0fgod
September 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Promotion isn't everything. Microsoft have the advantages with the amount of hardware companies and Windows is welded into the minds of every ignorant PC user.

Joeb454
September 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You can install OS X on non Apple hardware, but it's not recommended and doesn't work all that great. You end up with a very broken operating system.

It's also illegal, because it contradicts Apple's EULA

god0fgod
September 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
But it's stupid. Apple should promote wider use of OS X. I don't think Steve Jobs wants to see his wonderful operating system on rubbish little bits of junk though.

Joeb454
September 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
True. I think they should allow the use of OS X on PC's.

The problem is they would then lose out on hardware sales. Although I'd consider buying it for my laptop, provided it wasn't too expensive

god0fgod
September 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
The amount of hardware sales lost would be small compared to how much money they could make if they brought out OS X to all users. I'm quite sure. If people wanted a new PC with OS X they'd probably go for a Mac still.

I'm sure it can work someway.

eotakos
September 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
it's a possibility that they are waiting for all desperate vista users to buy imacs! hahaha! that's nice

thanks guys i'm really enjoying this

Jimmey
September 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Forget Apple.

My experience of them is that they'll treat their customers like wallets, dipping in now and again for some new money. And these customers are brainwashed because 90% of the people who own Apple products are suckers.

I can't remember the last time Apple unveiled something truly innovative. Sure their Nanos are getting smaller and Desktops getting prettier. But I'm not sure they're pressing technology like Microsoft seems to be.

Microsoft treats its customers as customers.

toupeiro
September 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Forget Apple.

My experience of them is that they'll treat their customers like wallets, dipping in now and again for some new money. And these customers are brainwashed because 90% of the people who own Apple products are suckers.

I can't remember the last time Apple unveiled something truly innovative. Sure their Nanos are getting smaller and Desktops getting prettier. But I'm not sure they're pressing technology like Microsoft seems to be.

Microsoft treats its customers as customers.

You had me until the last sentence. :)

zmjjmz
September 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
If MS is the ideal model for customer treatment, capitalism really sucks.

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Seriously. you'd think that with the eye candy of vista, they'd have the grains to face lift the site.

With all do respect but the Apple site looks very unprofessional to me.

Something a 12 year old who first go into webdesigning would do.

The microsoft website is also a thousand times more complex.

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
It's also illegal, because it contradicts Apple's EULA

A EULA has no legal power in the EU.

Jimmey
September 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
If MS is the ideal model for customer treatment, capitalism really sucks.

Not saying the ideal, just saying way better than apple.

For example, Apple's first edition iPhone was released in the UK on contract without subsidy, meaning regarless of the tariff (price plan) you had to accompany that phone, you needed to pay in excess of £200 for it.

Around 18 months later they release a newer, IMPROVED version of the same phone with a revised subsidy model that is based on the price plan that you take it with - So the BETTER phone was now also available for a huge discount, if not free.

Apple wooed the customers that had been suckered into paying the batcrap crazy prices for the first iPhone by saying that they could "upgrade" to the new iPhone - Which really just involed shortening the contracts that they already had, and still possibly having to pay that one off charges for the phone that were no different to the charges experienced by new customers who had shown no-where near the same level of loyalty.

In effect, Apple labeled everyone who'd payed the daft prices necessary to take the first (arguably sub-standard) iPhone directly into their pockets: "Sucker."

littletinman
September 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
That's exactly what is wrong with Microsoft's website. It's far to complex. Mac's is very simple, like something a 12 year old might make their website like. Less is more. It's true.

I once heard someone say that, "If you can't explain something in one sentence, you should question whether you understand it yourself."

So true. Mac's site is simple, and good looking. Microsoft's is so complex, I had to actually google what i was looking for on their site, because i couldn't find it on their site without a google search.

Half-Left
September 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Who cares?