PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with installation issues

michelly
September 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I installed last night wubi-ubuntu from http://wubi-installer.org
when I opened up the installer it warned me that my computer has 253 mb of ram and that it needs 256 mb of ram and I then fragmented my computer, erased big files, and I still was not getting enough space. I opted to still install ubuntu and it all went well except when I choose ubuntu instead of windows xp I get a screen where it says "checking installation" and then the screen went blank. The hard drive seems to be busy doing something but nothing really happens, ubuntu doesn't fully load.

Do I need to uninstall it and install again? any other ideas on how to free up some space on my desktop computer?

computer specs:

windows xp professional 2002 service pack 3
Intel pentium 4 cpu 2.80 GHz
Free C: space is 5.64 GB (after installing ubuntu)

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

tuxxy
September 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
You could try Xubuntu if you are having RAM issues, XFCE is a lighter desktop than GNOME and should run better on limited hardware.

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
installer ... warned me that my computer has 253 mb of ram and that it needs 256 mb of ram

This says it all. Not your hard drive space but your ram. You could try alternate installer cd (text based) but I would advise you download Xubuntu which is more lightweight and not so resource hungry. (or install more ram) :)

michelly
September 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Okay so I downloaded Xubuntu and I am extracting the files to my desktop...is that what I am supposed to do? is there by any chance an installer that makes Xubuntu easier to install?:(:confused:

michelly
September 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Ok I extracted all the files onto my desktop and when I open the file to install Xubuntu, it needs to access a cd, I was hoping I could install without a cd..is that possible? is there somewhere I can find instructions?

Bucky Ball
September 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Nope. You don't extract anything. You should end up with an iso image after your download (one single file). You make a bootable cd from that and boot from it. Then install. Just remember, this bears no relation to *******.

Use whatever cd burning software you like (in *******) and make a disk image using that iso. Then boot. It is not as complicated as what you are doing. The extracted files you have will mean nothing whatsoever to *******.

:)