PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error when installing the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.04 with an ATI Radeon X800 XT

Pocket Universe
September 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
As you might have guessed from the title of my post, I'm having some problems when trying to install the latest AMD64-release (ver. 8.04) of Ubuntu.

I've grown sick and tired of Windows and so now I am heading for the much greener pastures of Ubuntu, hence, this is a fresh install on a separate HDD.

I select my regional settings (Swedish) and I start the installation. When the progress bar is nearly filled, it comes to a halt and throws me into a shell, telling me that it was unable to find any screens. When I tried to use the live CD, it does pretty much the same thing, only it gives me the option to try and correct the settings.

My graphics card is positively antedeluvian, an ATI Radeon X800 XT, so I figured that the community support for it would be fantastic by now. Unfortunately, i seemed to be wrong. The only reference I could find was this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=264653) but it doesn't really solve my problem since I don't even get the opportunity to make any choices and thereby selecting a VESA-installation.

I have checked the install disc for corrupt sectors but the installer says it's fine.

Some specs:
- Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 500GB Samsung SpinPoint HDD

Is there any hope left for my crappy old GPU or am I going to have to throw money at this problem?

overdrank
September 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi and welcome, I hope I understand you correctly, have you tried to use the F4 option from the live cd. At the try or install page from the live cd you can choose resolution that may help during the installation. You may also try the option to install without trying as this will not start the desktop environment and may allow you to install.

Pocket Universe
September 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi and welcome, I hope I understand you correctly, have you tried to use the F4 option from the live cd. At the try or install page from the live cd you can choose resolution that may help during the installation. You may also try the option to install without trying as this will not start the desktop environment and may allow you to install.

Cheers, mate! I'm now posting from a fairly well-functioning Ubuntu system :)

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to increase my resolution, as soon as I try to use the proprietary ATI drivers, the computer crashes in a very enthusiastic and graphically impressive manner :-P