View Full Version : [ubuntu] No VGA port?

robostang 548
September 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM

I have a Compaq presario F572US laptop running ubuntu 8.04. I was excited when I first put ubuntu 7.1 on my machine, I was excited about the external monitor/screen resolution gui. I installed my Nvidia driver using the proprietary drivers manager and it worked great. However, it wouldn’t recognize any attached external monitor or even that there was the capability for one. I thought nothing of it cause I rarely ever use one. Now, when I fresh installed 8.04, the proprietary driver didn't work. I read somewhere that there was a problem with it and to install an old version of the driver from nvidia's website. I did that but still I cant seem to get my external monitor running. I read somewhere that there is a huge thing I have to add to my xorg.conf file to make it work but all the tutorials seem unclear about the approach. Right now I'm thinking of going all ubuntu when I upgrade my laptops hard drive but the only thing keeping me holding on to windows is the fact that I need it to put up presentations on an external projector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

September 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
There is a wiki guide here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaMultiMonitors) for multi head or dual monitors.

robostang 548
September 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM
The tutorial didn't really seem to help. When I go to the nvidia configuration panel, only one screen shows up for configuration. There simply is nothing else.

robostang 548
September 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Solved the problem. I just installed the latest driver from Nivdia. The only thing though is that I need the other monitor to be hooked into the port at startup or else Nvidia wont find it.