PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] partimage, separate /home and ubuntu recovery

Halibutt
September 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hello there! So, once again my Ubuntu HH got FUBAR. No network, no advanced gfx, nothing. Fortunately for me, the last time something went wrong I prepared three different partitions for my installation (separate /home, / and swap). I also backed up my / partition with partimage.

Now then, sudo fdisk -l shows the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd315d315

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 5473 43961841 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 5474 7296 14643247+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 5474 5765 2345458+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 5766 6738 7815591 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 6739 7296 4482103+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

My sda6 is backed up in three files located on the big fat sdb1 external drive (they're at /media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000, backupubuntu.001 and backupubuntu.002).

And that's precisely where my problem starts. When I boot with LiveCD and install partimage, all fires just fine (with network and so on), but partimage does not seem to find my backup files. Any combination I tried went wrong. What exactly should I put in there to make it work?

Or is there some other way to restore Ubuntu, perhaps using the LiveCD to repair the packages that are there, while leaving all the rest untouched? Any ideas?
Cheers and thanks in advance

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Try dropping this in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Should repair any screwed packages.

Also in a terminal, try:

sudo mount /dev/sdb1

... and try again. Stab in the dark but hope it helps.

Halibutt
September 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Try dropping this in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Should repair any screwed packages.
If only I had a working Internet connection in Ubuntu... But I don't, which means that there's no way the system checks which packages are right and which are wrong.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1

... and try again. Stab in the dark but hope it helps.Not sure if I didn't try that combination already, but what the heck, why not check it again. But anyway, if that works (and why shouldn't it), what exactly do I put in the window of partimage?
Cheers

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Partimage should then see your /dev/sdb1 without a problem. Might not be seeing it because it is not mounted. Then you can grab your backup from it (whatever you might have named it) and plop it back to where you want it. :)

Halibutt
September 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Not sure if I didn't try that combination already, but what the heck, why not check it again. But anyway, if that works (and why shouldn't it), what exactly do I put in the window of partimage?
Cheers
That's what I thought, the drives mount just fine, even auto-mounting works. But what to input into the partimage - that is the question. Newbie, remember? :)

In short, if we were talking Windows here, I'd type "/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000" and it would fire just fine. But this address doesn't work in Ubuntu, even though the drive is mounted (as sdb1) and the files are there (at least in Nautilus).

EDIT:// or do you mean that "/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000" and "/dev/sdb1/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000" are the very same thing?

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Now I'm with ya. Is:

/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

The path to the file you are trying to restore to /sda6? If so, try:

/dev/sdb1/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

Making sure you are restoring the file, of course. :)

If the /media bit is windoze jargon (sorry, don't remember a lot about my past life!), you could replace that with:

/dev/sdb1/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

Also, you could open a terminal and do:

cd /dev/sdb1

Then:

locate backupubuntu.000

... and that should find it for you. Also, if the drives are mounting, you could find your backup files through the desktop and get some clues from that.

Halibutt
September 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Now I'm with ya. Is:

/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

The path to the file you are trying to restore to /sda6? If so, try:

/dev/sdb1/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

Making sure you are restoring the file, of course. :)

If the /media bit is windoze jargon (sorry, don't remember a lot about my past life!), you could replace that with:

/dev/sdb1/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000

Also, you could open a terminal and do:

cd /dev/sdb1

Then:

locate backupubuntu.000

... and that should find it for you. Also, if the drives are mounting, you could find your backup files through the desktop and get some clues from that.

Hmmm, now we're getting somewhere. "/dev/sdb1/media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup/backupubuntu.000" this time doesn't cause any errors - but it simply escapes partimage and returns back to ubuntu@ubuntu:~$. The same goes for the other command you suggested.

Part of the problem might be that

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /dev/sdb1
bash: cd: /dev/sdb1: Not a directory

Any ideas what to do next?
Cheers

EDIT: HA! I got it! No tutorial ever mentioned, that I need to run partimage in the directory where my backup files are located. Now that I cd'ed to /media/CZARNY/ubuntu-backup, it fired just fine. I'll keep you informed.

EDIT2: Simulation went just fine, now started the real restoration. We'll see... If all goes right, I'll mark this thread as solved from my Ubuntu installation. If not, Windows will be my only hope...

Halibutt
September 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Woooohooo! :D Worked like a charm, thanks a lot. Ubuntu's up and running once again.

Bucky Ball
September 12th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Love it when a plan comes together! Well done. Another few steps up the learning curve and what took forever this time will take 5 minutes if it ever happens again. \\:D/