PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Discovered something Linux does that windows doesn't[?]

Jonas thomas
September 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Maybe everyone knows about this but I just stumbled on it an I think its cool.
My Os version is Hardy(I don't know about others). If you click on the icon on the left hand side of a header in a window. you have a little menu pop op with the following:
Minimize
UnMaximize
Move
Resize
Always on top
Occasionally I have a situation where I have multiple windows open and I want one window to stay on top. (In my situation I'm working my way through a software tutorial, and I want to be able to scroll through a small window of code but have the tutorial full open.

Such a feature does not exist in windows 2000. (I don't know about XP or Vista...)
I stumbled on this a couple of days ago and find myself using it constantly.
Are there any other cool creature comforts the people formally known as windows users should be aware of?
I guess symlinks is one..

Tatty
September 11th, 2008, 04:52 AM
+1 to Always on Top.

I do get frustrated when im in windows and i cant do that.

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 04:54 AM
You can also make the window stay open on all workspaces. Another thing is copy and paste by highlighting something then middle clicking.

Jonas thomas
September 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
+1 to Always on Top.

I do get frustrated when im in windows and i cant do that.

What do you mean by "+1" Is that a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing??
I tried it, doesn't seem to do anything...

Chronix33
September 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Before you get rattled too bad, I will correct you.

'+1' is used in forums when a user wants to advocate advice already given, or to agree with a previous statement.

ronnielsen1
September 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Total control of your windows, shade your windows, compiz

Jonas thomas
September 11th, 2008, 05:05 AM
You can also make the window stay open on all workspaces. Another thing is copy and paste by highlighting something then middle clicking.

I've seen that but haven't really come up with a need to move between workspaces... I suppose if you want to seperate work and play, that be a reason. I far as the copy and past thing. I have a middle mouse button (which I enjoy) on my windows machine at work, but I'm el cheepo on my system at home.... (only a left-right)... I might have to upgrade just to see what your talking about...

Bakon Jarser
September 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM

That's awesome. That's awesome. That's awesome. That's awesome. That's awesome. That's awesome. That's awesome. (Just testing)

Jonas thomas
September 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Before you get rattled too bad, I will correct you.

'+1' is used in forums when a user wants to advocate advice already given, or to agree with a previous statement.
Doh... (Learn something new every day...)

Bakon Jarser
September 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I've seen that but haven't really come up with a need to move between workspaces... I suppose if you want to seperate work and play, that be a reason. I far as the copy and past thing. I have a middle mouse button (which I enjoy) on my windows machine at work, but I'm el cheepo on my system at home.... (only a left-right)... I might have to upgrade just to see what your talking about...

+1 just meant the he agreed with you. By middle mouse button he means mouse-wheel click.

Tatty
September 11th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Doh... (Learn something new every day...)

:)

jerome1232
September 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Alot of people will quote a post and say +1 to say they agree with the post.

So he just likes the "Always on top" as well.

Something Linux can do that Windows can't... man I have quite a list my biggest ones are (not in any particular order)

run applications built for other operating systems (wine)
full disk encryption out of box
It has several GUI's that are highly custimizable
You don't even have to have a GUI
I can give focus to mouse over, for example, I can have a terminal on-top of firefox, mouse over firefox and start typing (I don't have to click on firefox, which would raise it above the window I wish to view), I couldn't live without this.
my favorite, if you are really bored find a file and listen to it!

cat nameoffile > /dev/dsp

okay so it just makes a bunch of static but I found it funny none-the-less

Jonas thomas
December 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Ok.... I just stumbled on something new(for me anyway)
If you hold the window's button down and the "e" simultaneously you zoom out to see the various window's
):P

Kellemora
December 13th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Hi Jonas

Boy, wait until you try COMPIZ-Fusion!

I have it on one of my machines for the sole pupose of making those DOZE users ooh and aah.

I have to do a LOT of copy work from notes.
I can put the original BEHIND the copy I'm typing and fade out the copy in front so it's like onionskin and see the notes behind it.
Also works great for comparing two documents to make sure they are identical too.
Plus with my failing eyesight, I can make the text big or small as needed at a click of the mousewheel.

The Compiz CUBE is what makes the Doze users ooh and aah the most though!

TTUL
Gary

Jonas thomas
December 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi Jonas

Boy, wait until you try COMPIZ-Fusion!

I have it on one of my machines for the sole pupose of making those DOZE users ooh and aah.

I have to do a LOT of copy work from notes.
I can put the original BEHIND the copy I'm typing and fade out the copy in front so it's like onionskin and see the notes behind it.
Also works great for comparing two documents to make sure they are identical too.
Plus with my failing eyesight, I can make the text big or small as needed at a click of the mousewheel.

The Compiz CUBE is what makes the Doze users ooh and aah the most though!

TTUL
Gary

I hear that takes some horsepower under the hood.. I haven't work my way to letting the moths oout of my wallet yet....
Btw... I inadvertently hit the window's E keystroke combination. I ran across windows_button + N, windows_button + M. I doe's a screen color inversion... (New to me anyway)

steveneddy
December 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM

My favorite Linux command.