PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Ubuntu Hardy gone dead!! =S

ArtPulse
September 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Omg!! =S what happened? I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron, btw.

I started Elisa Media Center, did sth, closed, then opened again. The mouse moved to a corner by itself (it fails, i dunno why, it's a Microsoft) and the Panels view activated (from Compiz) showing my 4 desktops. All the sudden the computer was very busy and no input was good (I couldn't even press Ctrl + Alt + F1!!), though I could see my downloads still working with almost no screen lag, I'd say.

I give it almost 10 minutes but won't change the status, though everything seems to work. Hold the power button, off. Press again, booting... and I have no compiz! I try starting it, I see for a second AWN working, then it crashes... So I reinstall compiz from Synaptic... nothing... Later, checking the Restricted drivers I realize I don't have them installed, all the sudden! =S, so I do, and then restart.

Now I get a underscore on the top left, like command prompt :S So I press Ctrl + Alt + F1, stop gnome, start gnome - Ubuntu gone freezed again, only that a black screen this time, but yet no response to keyboard.

What's going on?!?! :S

Earlier, before this mess, I installed nvidia-glx, which I've now purged. I think right now nvidia-glx-new is installed, because of when I installed again Restricted drivers.
Before the mess, I also installed libgl1-mesa-glx, which neither was installed (I was trying to make Wine have OpenGL on some app which didn't, okay? xD). Thing is now I can't uninstall it as - all the sudden - hundreds of packages depend on it (why?! if it wasn't installed!!).

So these were the two "graphic changes" i've done before this mess. Maybe they caused everything. One is uninstalled now, but the other one won't move from there!

Thing is I don't have Ubuntu now and I work with it :S please, I'd appreciate A LOT any help, I'm going desperate here =/
Currently on Windows XP T_T!! waaaa!! :(

Thanks in advance!

Extra info:
Pentium 4 3 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
GeForce 5200 FX - 128 MB
120 GB SATA hard disk

ArtPulse
September 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Addition:
Picture of my actual console:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1364/dsc01960ps4.th.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01960ps4.jpg)

(if you have problems, try direct file: http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01960ps4.jpg)

Let me explain: first I did: ls - fine, everything is there.
The following "command" is... well, dunno. I pressed UP key a few times to go back in my previous commands and I get... those two lines thing, full of wierd chars :S I pressed enter and a ">" appeared, I could type whatever... :S until I got bored of pressing Enter so: Ctrl + C.

Then I pressed Enter many times, and afterwards... UP key many times to go even more backwards in my previous commands, and those wierd characters appeared again, different combinations, and they start to "go up" in my console, eating what's in it's way :S (you may see a "floating" one on the right of "> lets ctrl C", which appeared when I was doing all the Up Ups.
I go back into my recent commands, but not the older ones (from previous sessions) anymore.

T_T!!! Windows mode? just... reinstall whole Ubuntu?? =/ or is there a way to fix this without killing everything??? T_T