PDA

View Full Version : Do not use weahter bug on your linux machine!

Lord Xeb
September 11th, 2008, 03:05 AM
It will eventually take up way more RAM then what it should. I let it run for two days and was had taken up 2.5GB! of both swap and RAM. So do not use it EVER!

fedex1993
September 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Funny thing when weather bug first came out it actually download some virus supposly on windows xp oh well weather bug is a peace of junk.

Brunellus
September 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM
seeing as there are GNOME panel applets and Firefox Extensions that give substantially the same benefits as weatherbug with none of the ugly proprietary-software annoyances, I see no reason to use Weatherbug AT ALL.

BLTicklemonster
September 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
That's the first thing I take off of window's user's machines when I see it.

Northsider
September 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Dang, weatherbug is still around? I haven't used it in like 7 years...firefox has equal (even better) extensions, vista has weather built into the sidebar, and linux has applets... why on Earth would you bother with weatherbug?! As I remember, back then it was pretty sucky...

Giant Speck
September 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hell, I don't even use WeatherBug on Windows. It may look nice, but it takes up way too much RAM and installs way too many things onto your computer.

I just stick with the ForecastFox Enhanced addon for Firefox. I don't need some fancy desktop program to tell me if it's raining outside.

oldsoundguy
September 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
seeing as there are GNOME panel applets and Firefox Extensions that give substantially the same benefits as weatherbug with none of the ugly proprietary-software annoyances, I see no reason to use Weatherbug AT ALL.

+1
I use the Gnome applet. Works great!

FuturePilot
September 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I like my gnome-panel applet. :)

tentaro
April 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I read all your posts and wonder have you ever even used weatherbug. It is hands down the MOST accurate there is since it uses local information close to your home not 30 or 40 miles away from your location. On another note using a firefox extension is only good while you use firefox and I have checked everything else I can use that is available now and nothing is good enough. Oh and by the way, Who the heck leaves their PC running for 2 days anyway? If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program anyway not only that but the pure waste of electricity when you are not even using the thing is insane.

will1911a1
April 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I just look outside. :\

ninjapirate89
April 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I read all your posts and wonder have you ever even used weatherbug. It is hands down the MOST accurate there is since it uses local information close to your home not 30 or 40 miles away from your location. On another note using a firefox extension is only good while you use firefox and I have checked everything else I can use that is available now and nothing is good enough. Oh and by the way, Who the heck leaves their PC running for 2 days anyway? If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program anyway not only that but the pure waste of electricity when you are not even using the thing is insane.

The gnome panel applet is very accurate for me. It doesn't pick exactly my town, but the one it has closest to me is only about 5 miles away so the weather isn't that different. Have you tried maybe using one of the weather screenlets?

Muffinabus
April 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM

There are plenty of reasons to leave your PC on. Mine hasn't been turned off in... months! And it's funny to see you defend such a crazy memory leak in such a worthless program (:

mrtomservo
April 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
The default Gnome weather applet works just fine for me too, it's about a 5 mile distance from my house. Weatherbug does indeed provide me with more accurate local conditions about 1 mile from my house. But really, the forecasts for the next fews days are almost always identical between the two of them. Most weather forecasts are designed to be for a fairly large area, so unless you live in an odd geographic location the standard area forecast should be sufficient.

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
The gnome weather applet also works fine for me too. The location is only a few miles away and the forecasts seem to match all the other weather sources as well.

Giant Speck
April 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
The gnome-panel applet is a bit off. I live on Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, and it closest location it pulls information from is Anchorage, which I would assume is Ted Stevens International Airport. The problem is that the weather in Anchorage is always a few degrees warmer than it is here on base, which is located just north and at a higher elevation than the city.

pwnst*r
April 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Oh and by the way, Who the heck leaves their PC running for 2 days anyway? If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program anyway not only that but the pure waste of electricity when you are not even using the thing is insane.

lol, move along. as others have said, weatherbug is rubbish.

pwnst*r
April 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
and who cares, how long does it take to type "weather <yourzipcode>" in google? 3 seconds if you want it dark?

megamania
April 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program
Are you a Microsoft developer?

(Sorry, I don't usually make these kind of jokes, but this time...) :-)

pwnst*r
April 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM

(Sorry, I don't usually make these kind of jokes, but this time...) :-)

hm, funny how our favorite browser of all had a huge memory leak problem.

Giant Speck
April 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
*sigh*

Here we go......

swoll1980
April 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Oh and by the way, Who the heck leaves their PC running for 2 days anyway? If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program anyway not only that but the pure waste of electricity when you are not even using the thing is insane.

I leave mine on for weeks at a time, so I deserve to have it crash, because of a poorly written program. #-o

megamania
April 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program

hm, funny how our favorite browser of all had a huge memory leak problem.
hmmm. My joke was related to the assumption that it is *normal* for a program to use more and more memory if you let it run for a long time.

But never mind...

oldsoundguy
April 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
On another note using a firefox extension is only good while you use firefox and I have checked everything else I can use that is available now and nothing is good enough. Oh and by the way, Who the heck leaves their PC running for 2 days anyway? If you are leaving it running that long you deserve to have all your memory taken up by a program anyway not only that but the pure waste of electricity when you are not even using the thing is insane.

So, what's wrong with using Firefox? Since now nearly 50% of the world uses it?
But, The Weather.com applet is close enough for me .. is it going to rain? What does the local radar look like? What is the temp at the airport?
(but the applet works without Firefox .. do some research, it is a GNOME applet and stays in the panel and works even if you shut FF down.)

And I leave my computer(s) on 24/7/365. As I background scientific projects for BOINC. (crunch numbers).

RD1
April 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I find the Gnome panel weather applet totally worthless. The closest location available is 50 miles away and 1500 feet lower in elevation. :(

The weather applet in Avant Window Navigator allows me to select my location by zipcode and gives very accurate weather. :)

JohnFH
April 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM
So, what's wrong with using Firefox? Since now nearly 50% of the world uses it?

50% of the world uses Firefox? That's quite impressive considering that only 19.1% of the world uses the internet. That means at least 30% of the world uses Firefox for something other than accessing the internet - wow!

oldsoundguy
April 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
50% of the world uses Firefox? That's quite impressive considering that only 19.1% of the world uses the internet. That means at least 30% of the world uses Firefox for something other than accessing the internet - wow!

sheeeeesh .. really? Did I have to enclose (that use the internet) for you to understand? (and that 50% number is really not that accurate, except for the EU.)

And I can understand the distance factor in using the Gnome applet since weather.com uses either a downtown reporting weather station or an airport as its source for reporting. If you have NEITHER in your area, guess you WILL have to go for another source.