PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] where is my game??

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I dwnloaded the game super maryo chronicles or smc using the package manager, but now i cant find it, its not in the games menu?

where is it?

how can i activate it? any terminal command?

thx

Crafty Kisses
September 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Run the package name in the Terminal.

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM
i tried that but i dont know what to write, i tried smc and supermaryochronicles but on both i got a command not found

ByteJuggler
September 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM
i tried that but i dont know what to write, i tried smc and supermaryochronicles but on both i got a command not found

OK, general, in cases like this, you'd go back into Synaptic, find the package (smc in this case), click on the "Properties" button, and go and check what files the package installs where. Then you can usually deduce where the program file has been put. In this case, the program file is at:

/usr/games/smc

Normally (on my gutsy server) "/usr/games" is on the search path by default, so just entering "smc" at the prompt therefore finds the program file and starts it. In your case I surmise that "/usr/games" is therefore not on the search path for whatever reason, hence why you get "command not found" error. You can enter the full path in the meantime (as above), or you can fix your PATH to include /usr/games. Or you can create yourself a new launcher for the game on the desktop.

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
k thx so what i shud do in the terminal is cd /usr/games[ is this command right?] and then type smc, will that work?

and if i have to make a new launcher, what should i write in the command box?

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
You only have to type smc, because /usr/games is in your PATH. You can use smc for the command in a launcher.

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM
what do you mean by "in ur path"

like i said when i type only smc in terminal i get a command not found??

Bulat Sirazetdinov
September 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You can use menu customizer: Applications->Add/Remove...
Maybe your "smc" game is available there to add to Games menu.

robalcorn
September 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I installed it from :http://www.getdeb.net/release/2630

first install smc-data than install smc and it will put the icon in for you under applications/games

t0p
September 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Or, you can run it from the terminal by typing in

/usr/games/smc

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh ok well /usr/games is in my path but maybe not yours.

Your path is a list of directories where the shell will look for executable files if you type a command.

faraz_k86
September 12th, 2008, 07:13 AM
thanks guys, the command /usr/games/smc/ worked.