PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I may have deleted Windows/all my files while installing Ubuntu...help!!

stebmania
September 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
It all started when I decided to dual-boot Ubtuntu on my cheap (Acer) laptop to make it run faster/better then my current Windows XP can run it. I know close to nothing about computers, so this friend entered Remote Assistance and installed Virtual Box or something--basically, it let us install Ubuntu on a virtual computer so I can practice partitioning and installing it without deleting my files/Windows. Clearly, this wasn't enough as I still messed up somehow.
So, it was all going fine until I got to the partitioning step. On the virtual PC, there was no previous partitions...on my laptop there was. So I went through the same things I did on the virtual PC, changed nothing in the steps. But the first thing I noticed was once I made the first partition was that three extensions that were there before now turned into empty slots. I thought tat maybe it was making room and they just weren't being displayed, so I continued, and all went as planned from there.
Now what I'm left with is confusion and desperation. Someone have any ideas on how to boot back into Windows XP? I'm new to this so if you could be thorough that would be great :P

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Very unusual issue, do you have a windows recovery disk of some kind?
If not you may be up the creek.
What virtual machine client did you use?
If you can remember the exact name of the app perhaps we can help you.

niccholaspage
September 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
You really no nothing about a Virtual Machine....You didn't destroy any single Windows File at all.You can still boot into Windows XP.Just Open Virtualbox and delete the Virtual Machine you setup and try again.A Virtual Machine can NEVER effect any files on the Host(Real Machine)

oilchangeguy
September 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
It all started when I decided to dual-boot Ubtuntu on my cheap (Acer) laptop to make it run faster/better then my current Windows XP can run it. I know close to nothing about computers, so this friend entered Remote Assistance and installed Virtual Box or something--basically, it let us install Ubuntu on a virtual computer so I can practice partitioning and installing it without deleting my files/Windows. Clearly, this wasn't enough as I still messed up somehow.
So, it was all going fine until I got to the partitioning step. On the virtual PC, there was no previous partitions...on my laptop there was. So I went through the same things I did on the virtual PC, changed nothing in the steps. But the first thing I noticed was once I made the first partition was that three extensions that were there before now turned into empty slots. I thought tat maybe it was making room and they just weren't being displayed, so I continued, and all went as planned from there.
Now what I'm left with is confusion and desperation. Someone have any ideas on how to boot back into Windows XP? I'm new to this so if you could be thorough that would be great :P

I've said this before, always, always back up your data. BEFORE doing something like this. That being said, if you selected use entire disc, your windows install is no more. And once a drive has been formatted it's very expensive to get any data back.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
You really no nothing about a Virtual Machine....You didn't destroy any single Windows File at all.You can still boot into Windows XP.Just Open Virtualbox and delete the Virtual Machine you setup and try again.A Virtual Machine can NEVER effect any files on the Host(Real Machine)

yes but we really dont know if it was an actual virtual machine he installed, he could have had some confusion on what he did.

oilchangeguy
September 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM

the op seems to state that they used a vm, and then tried to install it on his computer.

niccholaspage
September 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
But I really don't think this could happen.Maybe somehow a VirtualBox Hard Disk was some huge size as a fixed size image,And this consumed the whole hard drives's space?
If this is true than the OP needs to get a Windows Recovery Disk..

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
the op seems to state that they used a vm, and then tried to install it on his computer.

indeed, if the original poster installed Ubuntu in full without knowing it then that can mess up ones day for sure.

niccholaspage
September 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Oh.I am dumb.I guess the OP will need to use a Windows Recovery Disk.

Charcoal1981
September 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
stebmania - can you confirm that your laptop (the real one not the virtual one) no longer boots? Secondly, do you have access to an ubuntu live cd?

stebmania
September 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
What SunnyRabbiera said is true. I practiced with this friend on the virtual machine, then installed it on my actually computer (convinced there was NOTHING that could go wrong). And about this disk recovery...when I reboot something about Grub prompts me to press Esc and gives me a three second countdown. I did this once and I chose the option with (recovery) beside it. So all is going well and white text is scrolling down the black screen faster than I can comprehend. Then it wants me to enter something... I typed in boot and my password and was stumped. Any ideas?

oilchangeguy
September 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
What SunnyRabbiera said is true. I practiced with this friend on the virtual machine, then installed it on my actually computer (convinced there was NOTHING that could go wrong). And about this disk recovery...when I reboot something about Grub prompts me to press Esc and gives me a three second countdown. I did this once and I chose the option with (recovery) beside it. So all is going well and white text is scrolling down the black screen faster than I can comprehend. Then it wants me to enter something... I typed in boot and my password and was stumped. Any ideas?

run the computer from the live cd, and see if your windows partition is still there.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM

Then you did probably wipe out windows off your drive, and for that I am most sorry.
But you may have some hope, when grub loads when you press the escape key do you have other options other then recovery mode?
That recovery mode you speak of is for your linux system and WONT restore windows... sorry
but if you can boot into linux then at least you have a OS to work with right now.

stebmania
September 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
It appears I am up said creek, then. I can reboot real quick and write down on pen and paper what happens when I press escape if that will help? Also, let's jsut pretend all went smooth and what not, how would I have gotten back into XP before?

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
It appears I am up said creek, then. I can reboot real quick and write down on pen and paper what happens when I press escape if that will help? Also, let's jsut pretend all went smooth and what not, how would I have gotten back into XP before?

Grub would have displayed XP if you didnt dedicate the whole drive to Ubuntu.
And yes write down what comes up in grub.
Now currently how are you making posts, from another computer?

oilchangeguy
September 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM

please see post #12.

stebmania
September 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I can try and be a bit clearer, sorry. All this happened on this computer. I'm simply using Ubuntu. Not that Ubuntu isn't good or anything but, I'd really like to hvae my files/XP back. And, this friend came on MSN (I was using this application called "Pidgin" to contact him) and he basically told em to come here and ask for help as he has work 'till 11 tonight. And he mentioned something about SuperGrub disk? Can anyone explain what SuberGrub does/how it can help, please?

EDIT: Also when the thread dies down for a sec i'll go reboot, I'd like to have all the information first :D.

Charcoal1981
September 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
super grub disk repairs grub if it breaks. This is not your issue. You have deleted your windows partitions and over-writen with ubuntu, so you cannot salvage either windows (as was) or your files short of professional disk recovery services (even then only maybe).

If you want XP back you will need to reinstall it.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I can try and be a bit clearer, sorry. All this happened on this computer. I'm simply using Ubuntu. Not that Ubuntu isn't good or anything but, I'd really like to hvae my files/XP back. And, this friend came on MSN (I was using this application called "Pidgin" to contact him) and he basically told em to come here and ask for help as he has work 'till 11 tonight. And he mentioned something about SuperGrub disk? Can anyone explain what SuberGrub does/how it can help, please?

your issue is understood, hey I feel your pain as the first time I tried to dual boot linux/ windows I accidentally wiped off XP by mistake.
Dont worry about supergrubdisk right now, trust me it wont do any good for recovering a completely lost XP partition.
If you installed Ubuntu totally over XP there is no way of recovering it, sorry...
So if you told Ubuntu tot totally partition over XP there is no way to get it back... period.
Sorry there is not a lot we can do for you.
But to make 100% sure I want you to go to "system" then to "administration"
and then to "system monitor" in ubuntu.
go to the file systems tab and see if there is indeed a windows drive listed, if not you have no hope of getting your files back...
even if you get a XP recovery disk it wont get your files back.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
It isn't a SURE thing that I ahve deleted the files. This friend has had a much more indepth explaination (not to mention some cussing and threatening) of things. He said it's unlikely that I have deleted Windows and my files. Also, something that was said in the MSN conversation:
"(05:15:27 PM) Lawrence: Check if you still have the partitions
(05:15:33 PM) Lawrence: Open Partition Editor
(05:15:50 PM) Lawrence: Go to System > Administration > Partition Editoer"
I did this and couldn't find what he said. Where else would this program be? Do I have to install it? Right now my computer is factory direct (I think that's the term anyways) so I hvae nothing but what Ubuntu starts off with.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM
It isn't a SURE thing that I ahve deleted the files. This friend has had a much more indepth explaination (not to mention some cussing and threatening) of things. He said it's unlikely that I have deleted Windows and my files. Also, something that was said in the MSN conversation:
"(05:15:27 PM) Lawrence: Check if you still have the partitions
(05:15:33 PM) Lawrence: Open Partition Editor
(05:15:50 PM) Lawrence: Go to System > Administration > Partition Editoer"
I did this and couldn't find what he said. Where else would this program be? Do I have to install it? Right now my computer is factory direct (I think that's the term anyways) so I hvae nothing but what Ubuntu starts off with.

Dont worry about partition editor, it will do nothing if you wiped off windows and could make matters worse.
Your friend here doesnt seem to be much of a friend...
Again if you wiped off all your files you have my sympathies, but hey at least you have a OS...
My first try I didnt even have a OS to work with when trying to dual boot, no windows, no linux, no nothing.
So thats somewhat of a bright side, you have a OS at least and dont have a totally blank system like i did when I first tried to dual boot.
But as I said use the system monitor to check if there is still a windows drive on your system...
If windows isnt listed we will know.

Charcoal1981
September 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I am afraid that if XP is not one of the options in your grub boot menu then there is a 99% chance that you have indeed wiped your files.

If you really want to check. the partion editor needs to be installed by entering "sudo apt-get install gparted" into a terminal. when this is complete, the partion editor will be available in your menu as your friend describes

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I am afraid that if XP is not one of the options in your grub boot menu then there is a 99% chance that you have indeed wiped your files.

If you really want to check. the partion editor needs to be installed by entering "sudo apt-get install gparted". when this is complete, the partion editor will be available in your menu as your friend describes

Indeed, but take caution when doing this as it can make matters wose if you have no idea what you are doing.

lisati
September 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
One of the ways of seeing if there's a Windows-capable partition is with the "fdisk" command, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this so far.....

Charcoal1981
September 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Indeed, but take caution when doing this as it can make matters wose if you have no idea what you are doing.

Agreed...

stebmania
Well, this is so far over my head I can't even express it. I typed in what was said by lisati and this is what I got:
jake@ubuntu:~$ fdisk

Usage: fdisk [-l] [-b SSZ] [-u] device
E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda (for the first IDE disk)
or: fdisk /dev/sdc (for the third SCSI disk)
or: fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
or: fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)

Translation?

SunnyRabbiera
One of the ways of seeing if there's a Windows-capable partition is with the "fdisk" command, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this so far.....

That would have been next on my list of suggestions actually, but one step at a time as fdisk is a command line tool and we are dealing with a nervous windows user who might have erased windows by mistake.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I skipped that whole..."Indeed, but take caution when doing this as it can make matters wose if you have no idea what you are doing." step. As you may have gussed by now...I'm clueless. Beyond that. So, anyone know what my last post meant?

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Well, this is so far over my head I can't even express it. I typed in what was said by lisati and this is what I got:
jake@ubuntu:~$ fdisk

Usage: fdisk [-l] [-b SSZ] [-u] device
E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda (for the first IDE disk)
or: fdisk /dev/sdc (for the third SCSI disk)
or: fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
or: fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)

Translation?

That just gives you the base on how to use it, I would not use this terminal command at this time.

mgna003
September 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi

sorry for your mishap, but if when you boot, you get no option on your grub boot menu for xp, you probably delete the files(99%).
The fdisk command should also show you partions if available.
Also if you check your you partions on the ubuntu machine you should be able to see the windows partion if its still there

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hi

sorry for your mishap, but if when you boot, you get no option on your grub boot menu for xp, you probably delete the files(99%).
The fdisk command should also show you partions if available.
Also if you check your you partions on the ubuntu machine you should be able to see the windows partion if its still there

again dont suggest fdisk right now, you will only confuse him.
its not a good time to force a command on him now, let him assess his damage first.

Charcoal1981
September 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I skipped that whole..."Indeed, but take caution when doing this as it can make matters wose if you have no idea what you are doing." step. As you may have gussed by now...I'm clueless. Beyond that. So, anyone know what my last post meant?

Your last post meant you didn't enter any of the require arguments for fdisk. type "man fdisk" for some instructions if you are really determined, but I'm sorry to say if I was you I would be looking for an XP install disk if you really want windows back.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Well, I was excited and anxious when it was installing. And giddy like a schoolgirl when I got my hands on it. I don't mind using a new OS, it's more losing all my sweet, sweet files...OH!! I just remembered that I had Norton 360 installed on this computer. And it was a green check mark regarding Norton 360 Back-up files!! Do they save my files on their database or something? If I installed Norton 360 on Ubuntu will it give me my files back??

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Your last post meant you didn't enter any of the require arguments for fdisk. type "man fdisk" for some instructions if you are really determined, but I'm sorry to say if I was you I would be looking for an XP install disk if you really want windows back.

Aye thats why I said dont use fdisk...
Sometimes I hate command line guru's, they do more harm then good in scenarios like this. I know from experience trust me.

Well, I was excited and anxious when it was installing. And giddy like a schoolgirl when I got my hands on it. I don't mind using a new OS, it's more losing all my sweet, sweet files...OH!! I just remembered that I had Norton 360 installed on this computer. And it was a green check mark regarding Norton 360 Back-up files!! Do they save my files on their database or something? If I installed Norton 360 on Ubuntu will it give me my files back??

I dont think so, when you told ubuntu to overwrite your drive it would have wiped off norton 360 as norton 360 is a windows app.

starcannon
September 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
You may safely type in

sudo fdisk -l
at a terminal.

If your windows partitions do not come up in the list, then don't get panicked yet, recovering your important files may still be possible even if the partition is gone; it will however mean a bit of work.

So first lets get that partition list, then it can be determined whether or not we can fix this install to work properly, or whether we need to start recovering files.

GL

mgna003
September 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure if you would be able to get your files from norton backup since mostly they backup to a section of your hard drive.

When i first installed ubuntu I did the exact same thing, and had to learn the hard way,
If you have any file recovery software you might be able to get some of your files back.

oilchangeguy
September 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
"giddy like a schoolgirl" this thread is getting scary. it's time for a mod to close it. i'm thinking the op is a troll. and besides 4 pages and the op still doesn't understand what to do???????????????????

Sef
September 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ou may safely type in
Code:
fdisk -l

Actually the code is

sudo fdisk -l Small L

That will show you (and us) what partitions that you have. Paste your results here.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Actually the code is

sudo fdisk -l Small L

That will show you (and us) what partitions that you have. Paste your results here.

again, not a good time for you command line guru's, trust me you might scare him with all these commands right now.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0d439a11

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 973 7815591 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 974 1034 489982+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I'm pretty sure this means no more XP :(

PS: What's a troll?

starcannon
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Actually the code is

sudo fdisk -l Small L

nod sorry, edited and fixed it.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0d439a11

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 973 7815591 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 974 1034 489982+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I'm pretty sure this means no more XP :(

PS: What's a troll?

yes that means no more XP... again I am sorry.
As for what troll is, usually a troll is a malicious forum user who contributes little to the forum other then spam or useless topics.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
This may be a little useless to you guys, but I learned a lot in this little thread, thanks a lot all! starcannon has offered to start a remote assistance session, s hopefully he can better describe my situation and give you more information than I did. Thanks again, you've all been great!

ieduarte73
September 11th, 2008, 12:41 AM
According to the fdisk information, you have wiped off your windows partition, as you can notice there are only two valid partitions now in your computer

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM
This may be a little useless to you guys, but I learned a lot in this little thread, thanks a lot all! starcannon has offered to start a remote assistance session, s hopefully he can better describe my situation and give you more information than I did. Thanks again, you've all been great!

Well dont feel you are a troll, you had an honest problem so we tried to provide honest answers.
trust me I know what it feels like to be a beginner so thats why I try to help when I can.

starcannon
September 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Good recovery software that has brought a few people back from the brink can be found here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2504668&postcount=1

Step By Step Directions here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

GL

starcannon
September 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Testdisk looks like the ticket, and its a nice enough looking that I think I'm gonna spend a bit of time getting familiar with it.

Definitely the windows partition got destroyed.

stebmania
September 11th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hmm, considering I'm new to Linux and all, how do I download the program? :S
I mean I have it saved on my desktop but I just keep seeing a bunch of text files in the folders...help? xD

niccholaspage
September 11th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Open a Terminal(Applications>Accessories>Terminal)
And type:

sudo apt-get install gpartedNow go to System>Administration>Partition Editor.Tell us what you see

Buddy's Pal
September 11th, 2008, 01:46 AM
If you have (had) vital files in Windows that you absolutely must keep, you can most likely get most of them back.

I messed up when I first tried to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu and Vista. I installed Ubuntu but wiped Vista by mistake. (Mixture of impatience, overconfidence and boneheadedness)

I contacted a local data recovery guy and he told me to use the computer as little as possible so as not to overwrite data that was still on the drive.

I gave this fellow the drive and he was able to recover most of my stuff.

A down side is that file names are lost. For example I got back 670 .doc files but the file names were 0.doc --> 669.doc. This was back in Feb and I'm still going through those and renaming the ones I want to keep! :(

Cost me $125.

Good lesson!