PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade through CD/DVD vs OS

Thieflock
September 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have had bad experiences when upgrading a Linux distro to a newer version through the OS, which I am sure others have had. Most people recommend doing a fresh install of the newer OS version. But what about doing an upgrade install from the CD/DVD, i.e. boot from the newer version CD/DVD go to "install", then "install upgrade"? I am just curious on what peoples experiences have been, could save me sometime in the future.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Most of the time when concerning ubuntu its better to do a fresh install, as if you keep on updating the OS older files are packed up on top of eachother.
Though it is a pain to do a fresh install all the time

Thieflock
September 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I agree with you, but maybe my question wasn't so simple.

Is there is a significant difference between upgrading through the OS i.e. using the upgrade manager or doing an "install upgrade" from the install disc? Will one have better success in working properly than the other?

A fresh install is always best, but the question only pertains to these options.

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
AFAIK there's no way to boot from the CD and do an upgrade. You can however use the Alternate install image of the newer release burn it to a CD and put it in the drive and start the upgrade. The only difference is that you don't have to download as much since a lot of the packages are on the CD. However that method still uses the Upgrade Manager.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM
AFAIK there's no way to boot from the CD and do an upgrade. You can however use the Alternate install image of the newer release burn it to a CD and put it in the drive and start the upgrade. The only difference is that you don't have to download as much since a lot of the packages are on the CD. However that method still uses the Upgrade Manager.

well if you set up a seperate home partition it can be easier to do a upgrade from the disk.

MadsRH
September 10th, 2008, 11:21 PM
If I understand you correctly, what you're describing is similar to an idea on brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10504/). This is the text from brainstorm:
-

Why not add a "Install latest release" icon to the LiveCD desktop?

Use Case:
You have an older or out-dated Ubuntu CD and with it you can install the latest Ubuntu release. The option is only visible if the LiveCD is able to connect to the internet for downloading the files.

So don't have to burn a new CD with every release. The installation will not take longer than installing an out-dated version and updateing from there.
If a feature like this was included you would be able to boot you Gusty, Feisty (just an example) LiveCD and click the icon on the desktop "Install latest release" an enjoy the installation process on Hardy.

(I should perhaps mention that a USB installation tool is planed for 8.10)

//MadsRH

Thieflock
September 10th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I'll just stop because Ubuntu users tend to only know Ubuntu. I usually like to think Linux is Linux and use many distros. The reason I say this is because if I was to pop in an openSUSE 11 install disc, there will be an option under "install" called "install upgrade" which will *slap*, do that. So I apologize and I will stick to the distro forums that know what I am talking about.

Incase anyone wants to know the answers to this legitimate, simple to answer question. Here is what another Linux forum said.

many of us upgrade via the DVD with little or no problem.