PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PATH question

cheeky_lankan
September 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
hey could someone explain to me the path evviroment variable; to my knowledge it means that it stores the path to commands so when i do "echo $PATH" it spat out "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games" so wat did this just show me... the pathways to "$"(if so what is that )or "PATH"... please i am a lil confused thank you;and example if i did something like this "echo dfPATH " would that show me the path to the binary of the comman "df" ?

thank you for your time

Titan8990
September 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
In BASH "$" is prefixed for variables. So "echo $PATH" prints the contents for the variable "PATH".

What is the PATH?

The PATH by default is where commands are located and can be specified without issuing their absolute names (directory + file).

For example, the echo command you used is located in the directory /bin/. If you notice by default /bin is in your PATH variable. If this was not in your PATH variable you would have had to execute the command like this:

/bin/echo $PATH

Hope that helps.

Vivaldi Gloria
September 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables) for env variables. To find the binary of a command use

which <command>
whereis <command>

cheeky_lankan
September 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
In BASH "$" is prefixed for variables. So "echo $PATH" prints the contents for the variable "PATH".

What is the PATH?

The PATH by default is where commands are located and can be specified without issuing their absolute names (directory + file).

For example, the echo command you used is located in the directory /bin/. If you notice by default /bin is in your PATH variable. If this was not in your PATH variable you would have had to execute the command like this:

/bin/echo $PATH

Hope that helps.

ok.. i understand but then; when i type "echo $ls" nothing is spat out; so shoudnt it print out the contents for the variable "ls"?

john test
September 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
two commands show the path to a file or program
"locate myfile"
or
"Whereis thatfile"

You can do "echo $PATH"
or
"export"

Vivaldi Gloria
September 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
ok.. i understand but then; when i type "echo $ls" nothing is spat out; so shoudnt it print out the contents for the variable "ls"?

No. ls is a command, not variable. There are some predefined variables like

GDM_LANG
USERNAME
HOME
SHELL
PATH

etc. The command

env

shows some of them.

cheeky_lankan
September 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
No. ls is a command, not variable. There are some predefined variables like