PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will my wireless connection work when installing Ubuntu?

ieBrazil
September 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm a just coming here.Ok? So, I've got a laptop (Acer*) and it has wireless connection, alright.

Now, will it be ok after installing Ubuntu 7.10?

My LAN is: 802.11b/g.

Tnx...

ps: take a look at my question on sound... there's no sound in my Ubunto...

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Actually you may wish to try hardy the newer version as Gutsy wont be around that much longer.
Wireless is still an issue on linux, but if you are lucky it might just work, you may want to fish around for other linux variations too, like Linux mint.

garyed
September 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Why not just boot the live CD & see if it works out of the box before installing.

neurostu
September 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Mostly likely you will be able to get wireless working in ubuntu. The wireless card should work upon installation unless you have a rare/obscure wireless adapter. If this is the case then someone else has probably already figured out how to get it working and it shouldn't be too hard to get it to work.

ieBrazil
September 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Why not just boot the live CD & see if it works out of the box before installing.

yeah, I could do that if I had here, at home, wireless signal.

tnx..

knix
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
chances are that you have a broadcom or intel card (esp. broadcom). In this case, you can install ndisgtk from the CD and get wireless working. However You'kll have to do it again on your installation.