PDA

View Full Version : Legal movie downloads

ianhaycox
September 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Has any got any recommendations for a legal movie download site for Linux users.

All of the sites I've found so far require Windows and/or a download manager with various DRM restrictions.

I'm happy to pay for a downloaded movie but would like to be able to view it with the family on my DVD/Divx/Xvid player not just on the PC.

What choices are there for a non-windows user ?

god0fgod
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
DRM can easily be removed. It's completely pointless.

iTunes is going to have TV programmes and movies I beleive soon if not already. Maybe look into that. It doesn't work well with Wine for me though.

Lostincyberspace
September 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
There is also allot of content at hulu.com it is all from NBC and their affiliates though.
It is all free too.

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Actually Amazon provides a linux compatible service, if a video/ movie is listed as available for view you can probably view/ download it.

Me I dont care about "legal" anymore, the hollywood big shots have enough of my money to make more nonsense.

ianhaycox
September 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas, but...

Tried Amazon but can't view any of the movies as my ISP is not in the U.S. In the FAQ it implies everything is tied to a Windows PC or registered TIVO device.

iTunes requires a special download manager, like many other sites. Yes I could run VirtualBox, XP the 'download manager' and strip the DRM, convert to Xvid but really it's a lot of hassle and possibly illegal.
It would quicker and no less illegal to drive to the video rental store, rip the DVD, and take it straight back.

I'd just like a simple, click to download, and watch. No weird 'rental restrictions' that I must watch in 7 days, or services that only let me watch online...

Any other suggestions ?

god0fgod
September 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
A special download manager? I don't understand what you mean by that. Can't Itunes download content from the store properly in Wine?

My suggestion is to keep looking through google and if nothing comes up simply buy your movies as physical copies from a cheap place like www.play.com (Mostly targeted within the UK).

TBOL3
September 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM
He means that he wants to be able to download them in a web browser like firefox, and not be tied down to a single app.

Um... I can get you legal, and DRM free. But the quality isn't that great, and all of the movies are old. Have you ever tried archive.org?

ianhaycox
September 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
That's right use Firefox, or wget, or... You never quite sure what's going on in the background with the 'special' app.

Thanks for the suggestion and I did stumble on archive.org in my searching but unfortunately Buster Keaton isn't really my thing.

AndyCooll
September 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I found this webpage a while back that might be a reasonable starting point: Free Movie Downloads - The Best Web Sites for Free Movie Downloads (http://websearch.about.com/od/searchtipoftheday/qt/freemovie.htm)

:cool:

ianhaycox
September 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
To partly answer my own question I found http://www.last100.com/2007/09/04/11-video-download-stores-compared/ which sadly confirms my previous search results that most sites require Windows.

The site http://www.mvlib.com/ looks perfect but too good to be true. Seems like a version of allofmp3.com for movies ? Anyone used it or know its legal status ?

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
There is also allot of content at hulu.com it is all from NBC and their affiliates though.
It is all free too.

That's US only.

You can access it using a proxy but most of them are too slow to stream video.