PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use Ubuntu For The Chance Of Its Success?

tdrusk
September 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I have always liked the way Ubuntu works, but I find myself wanting to explore other distributions. I tell myself that in order for Ubuntu, or Linux in general, to survive and become a leading operating system I must use it to help other people use it. I want to be able to help new converts and the best way to do that is to use the distribution and know it well.

So, do you use Ubuntu for its chance of success and feel yourself responsible to help the movement, or do you just use it becuase you prefer it over all?

Kingsley
September 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think you need to use Ubuntu to be able to help other users with it. Solutions that work for me in Fedora can pretty much be applied to all the other distributions. The only time things would get confusing is when a package manager needs to be used.

bashveank
September 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I use Ubuntu on my PCs because it works better. I really don't care if it succeeds or not, but for now it serves it's purpose well.

oldsoundguy
September 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I use Ubuntu on my PCs because it works better. I really don't care if it succeeds or not, but for now it serves it's purpose well.

+1

On three machines and all work just fine. Love the fact that no more stupid Windows clean up and maintenance every week and that I do 99% of my every day activities on Ubuntu machines.
In other words, I finally found a system that is transparent most of the time and it WORKS.

mrsteveman1
September 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I actually stick around the forums even though I don't use Ubuntu (or linux in general) on my main system. I work on Linux servers a lot though and i can help out with what i know.

I do care very much that Ubuntu succeeds, because Ubuntu has the right foundation and attitude a Linux distro should have.

overdrank
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi and I use Ubuntu because is works and yes I hope and believe it will succeed. I also like other distro's and encourage others to try others and choose what works for them. :)

jakewc2
September 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well, I have been wanting to use Ubuntu for a while now, but havent had the guts to partition my pc, until I found a program that did it for me, and its worked. Only had it on my pc for about 2 days, but I much prefer it to windows. Just have to learn how it works.

Which comes to a question, are there any online manuals written for dummies. I would like to start to learn the coding (if that is the correct term) instead of relying on the interface. Can somebody help me?

Thanks.

John.

Dragonbite
September 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have always liked the way Ubuntu works, but I find myself wanting to explore other distributions. I tell myself that in order for Ubuntu, or Linux in general, to survive and become a leading operating system I must use it to help other people use it. I want to be able to help new converts and the best way to do that is to use the distribution and know it well.

So, do you use Ubuntu for its chance of success and feel yourself responsible to help the movement, or do you just use it becuase you prefer it over all?
I have distro-hopped before, running openSUSE before my latest Ubuntu installation.

One of the reasons after openSUSE I returned to Ubuntu was to more easily support other users. At the last computer club meeting ALL of the other members at the last meeting was running Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

It just makes it easier to help when I'm using it all of the time; keeps me familiar with what works, versions available and problems/issues that come up.

Plus family members are using Ubuntu as well and I'm the defacto sysadmin for them.

Not to mention, when I find new people using Linux the majority of them are running Ubuntu and I've noticed the are visibly comforted seeing the familiar logo and layout. They actually focus on what I'm showing them instead of "what distro are you using?" and trying to tell if they should go to that one.

I remember when I first got into Linux I picked my distro based on the friend of mine who was going to be helping me so it would be easier/familiar for him.

This is not my only reason, though, and others are such as
Ubuntu just works
It's easy for me to maintain so I can focus on what I need to do with it
It is familiar for family members (esp. the Windows-using one who hase been watching the kids getting on their Edubuntu system)
It beat the previous distro in staying connected to my wireless router (hands-down! while I used to get maybe 1/2 hour connected before it drops, Ubuntu has handled hours upon hours and if it drops the connection it eventually re-connects successfully)
My previous installation included KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.1 and so it wasn't the most stable, but I knew Ubuntu (Gnome) is.

Another, side plus is there is an IT person I know and work with once in a while and if I can show him how Linux can do all he needs and easier, well you never know... :guitar:

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I use Ubuntu because it works. Ubuntu puts a lot of work into hardware support and I think that's one of Ubuntu's strong points. It seems to have hardware support unlike any other distro I've tried. My webcam works out of the box in Ubuntu. I still haven't been able to get it to work in OpenSuse.

scouser73
September 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I don't use Ubuntu for the chance of it's success, I use it BECAUSE of its success.

Corfy
September 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I have had three different distros installed on my home computer.

The first one, I really loved... once I got it working properly. But if I had problems I had installing it (it took me two weeks as a Linux newb, although not a computer newb, to track down the problem and fix it), I figured others would have even more problems with it, so I decided to move on.

Ubuntu was what I moved on to, and while I wasn't as much of a newb, I had no trouble whatsoever installing it.

Eventually, however, I started thinking that maybe it was time for a more "advanced" distro. So I tried another one after being given an install DVD. This was only a small "step up", but I figured it would be a good step. Surprisingly to me, this one did not like my hardware at all. I have no idea why, and I didn't have the patience to spend two weeks tracking the problem down (although I did spend a few days on it), so I went back to Ubuntu.

I've been curious about other distros, but I haven't had the time to try them out.

whitefang5412
September 11th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Ubuntu is a great distro, but I never used it for its success. It runs great on my desktop, but on my laptop not so much. It gets worse with every release, but fedora loves my laptop, and wireless is not an issue for me anyhow. I use a wired connection.