PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot with Vista (X64)

FiOth
September 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hello there.

I know that the mods must be getting a question like mine every day but I am really annoyed.You see, on my previous installation I had created a dual boot with the same componenets:Ubuntu (X86) and Vista (X64).After some time I had to format my whole HDD and now I can't remember the right way to do it.I have 2 partitions on the same drive and want to install Ubuntu on the blank one.Thing is, I remember there is an automated procedure in the Ubuntu partitioner (it detects the largest part of unused space and uses it) but I don't want to risk my Vista installation by experimenting with the swap files, the available room etc.Could someone pls explain a step - by - step way to install Ubuntu as a dual boot with the other OS?I would be really grateful.Moreover I think that many beginners have the same question, am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

tuxxy
September 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
INstall windows first then install Ubuntu to the partition you created for your previous dualboot

Heres the dualboot guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot)

FiOth
September 10th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It says that to manually install you should leave at least 10GB empty.Is this all I need to do?No tampering with swap files or anything?

tuxxy
September 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Yes that will be fine aslong as you have plenty of RAM, I would presonally allow 10 GB for windows though:lolflag:

Heres thread on SWAP information,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763699

Seisen
September 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
As long as you have a partition that hasn't been formatted and is just free space, Ubuntu has an option to install on the largest continous free space and it will partition it out automatically too.

FiOth
September 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thing is my other partition is already formated and appearing in Vista...is there any way to make it RAW so that I can follow the automatic installation?