PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 32 bit vs 64 bit installation

EricDallal
September 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hello,
I have just bought a new Toshiba Satellite A300 and I am wondering whether I should use a 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu installation. The processor is the Intel Core2 Duo. I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on both the A100 and A200 computers (my old computers). I am considering this question because the Vista installation that came with the computer is 64-bit. On the A100, attempting to install the 64-bit version caused massive difficulties, even though the computer was described as 64-bit capable (whatever that means). That's why I'm hesitant to go with the 64-bit version this time around. Any advice?

Thanks.

--
Eric

manishtech
September 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Just one line which I want to put forward. At this present time 32-bit has more support than 64-bit. There are more applications for 32 bit than 64 ones. Still you should try out the 64-bit once atleast in LiveCD mode and check how the performance is.

I personally suggest to use 32-bit as many of my friends have faced problems using 64 one. I cant say much about your config as I never used a Toshiba laptop.

Even though my personal opinion is 32-bit you should go by 64-one, since the systems on which 64 gave problems were only a few.

Herman
September 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I have an AMD64 computer and I run the 64 bit version of Ubuntu in it and I have never had any trouble. The last time I tried, google earth didn't work in it, but that's not even in the Ubuntu repositories anyway. Every other program works great.

Whenever I install Ubuntu, about the first thing I do is go to the bottom right-hand corner of my desktop and r-click on the workspace switcher and set the preferences there to show twelve workspaces. I often want to have a lot of different processes going on at the same time, and that's what dual core processors are supposed to be good for. If you only do one thing at a time you probably won't notice any advantage in the 64 bit version at all. I haven't done any benchmark testing but I do find all other computers slow now that I'm spoiled with my AMD64 PC. :)

ihatetryingtopickaloginna
September 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have a Dell with AMD 64 dual core and don't see the point in using a 32bit OS. The 64bit runs great on this Dell and I haven't come across any programs yet, with one exception which has been fixed, that won't run on it. But I guess if it didn't work correctly with the 64bit, then I would try the 32bit. Go with what works for you.

KirkoR
November 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I install new Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell XPS M1530 and all works great out of the box! I install 32-bits version of skype and adobe reader and it's working good on 64-bit system.
The 64-bits systems are the future! Let's make it faster by using it everywhere ;)