PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Saxis
November 17th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hello all!

After reading the article on Madpenguin about installing Ubuntu at work, I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot myself. I'm a Network Admin at a small agency, so there are several tools that just need to work. I'm on a Model 8355 Laptop built by XoticPC (http://www.xoticpc.com). It's an AMD 64 3000+ with lots of goodies, including: M10 ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, Synaptic Mouse, Via AC97 Audio, ENE CardReader, Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG, Via 10/100/1000 NIC, QSI DVD-RW...

I'm looking for good 64-bit support. I dual-booted 64-bit Fedora Core 4 and WinXP (not 64-bit XP) to test some things out and no support for 64-bit Flash-plugins was a huge downfall. I'm also concerned about getting some 32-bit ******* Apps working in Wine on 64-bit. I want it to work, and all on 64-bit. I know this is asking a lot right now, as applications need time to make their way into 64-bit computing. This is fine, as I'll be dual-booting and giving Ubuntu a test run whether everything works right away or not. I'm sure I'll have a few questions, as I'm not very Linux-literate yet. I've read some Ubuntu reviews, and now I have high expectations of it and this community. You all have received so much praise, I had to come see what all the fuss was about! So now that this lovely "ubuntu-5.10-install-amd64.iso is complete!" message popped up, I can quit rambling on and get to work!... :D

Hello to the community, and I'm sure I'll be visiting again soon!

Saxis

xequence
November 17th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Welcome =D I dont have much 64 bit knowledge, but I hope you can get it working.

Kuolio
November 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hello and welcome!

I hope ya will like Ubuntu enough to keep using it. Flash is still not working on 64bits, but it is possible to use 32bit firefox on a 64bit system. But flash on 64bit's realy isn't a "linux problem" as macromedia is the one holding their support back. Macromedia needs to release 64bit flash, and untill that happens you can always mail them and b**ch about it. I sure have, several times..

And one more thing, now don't take this the wrong way, but dont expect linux to be windows. Because it is not, read more about it here: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

If you run into any trouble, just ask around these forums and read the ubuntu wiki + ubuntu guide.

Saxis
November 17th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Got it up and running. I was suprised that my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG was up and working DURING the install. That's amazing... I've had it up no more than 10 minutes and already I prefer it over Fedora or any RedHat release.

Hmm... my USB mouse just quit on me, but re-plugging seemed to fix that.

I know 64-bit flash is not a linux problem... I just won't install 32-bit Firefox for the sake of a flash plugin, that's why I'm using it as a sort of test-bed for now and keeping my XP install. I need other 32-bit Win Apps also, so flash is not the only deciding factor either. Mouse crashed again....

Anyway... so far this is GREAT!

Edit: Let it also be known that my ENE CardReader was detected at install time also... Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but this is truly amazing.