PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install software google gadget for linux 10.1

prifer
September 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Friends,
I want to install google gadgets for linux 10.1, but dunno how. I have download the package and read the file "INSTALL", but i dont understand the instruction:

Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
configure, build, and install this package. The following
more-detailed instructions are generic; see the `README' file for
instructions specific to this package.

where should I exeecute this command?

:confused:

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
in the terminal in the dir that you go after extracting the compressed .tar.gz or whatever file it is... for compiling you also need to install the build-essential package. Very likely you'll also need to install some -dev libraries.

prifer
September 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I am opening the dir of it, but i can't see the "terminal" to be clicked?

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The linux terminal or command-line interface is very powerful. Open a terminal via Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal (Gnome) or K-menu -> System -> Konsole (KDE). Guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

nothingspecial
September 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
The terminal is acessed Accessories > Terminal in your menu.
This will open a terminal in your home directory.
From there you must navigate to the downloaded and extracted file using the cd command.

Bölvağur
September 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
From there you must navigate to the downloaded and extracted file using the cd command.

He might not know the commands, not everyone used to use DOS and Unix before graphical user interfaces.

The commands which you need for this job are simple

ls <- list all the files and folders inside the folder you are located in

cd Desktop <- cd means change directory, and then you write which directory that is either by telling it which directory either by full path like cd /home/your_user_name/Desktop or by selecting a folder you are located next to.. like Desktop if you are inside your /home/your_user_name/

when you have traveled to the right location where the files you found are, then just copy what it said:

./configure; make; make install

Im not sure if you need to put sudo in front of that for super admin access.... they really should put this to synaptic....

biji
September 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
whats google gadget for?