PDA

View Full Version : Why she?

Elephantman5
September 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Networking-Thomson-Course-Technology/dp/1418837237

I noticed this while taking notes.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/876/outpl9.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=outpl9.jpg)

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM
well i was thinking that the author was female and it could have just been a mistake...but the authors name is michael so i guess thats out of the question

Elephantman5
September 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
well i was thinking that the author was female and it could have just been a mistake...but the authors name is michael so i guess thats out of the question

Yeh. :)
Lil peculiar.

userundefine
September 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Why not?

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
because the world will explode from a giant land mine in the center of the earth which was in fact put there by hitler

Elephantman5
September 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
because the world will explode from a giant land mine in the center of the earth which was in fact put there by hitler

Of course. Only males are allowed to be administrators.

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM
yeah i mean EVERYONE knows that

SomeGuyDude
September 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
These days I've seen a lot of people using the female pronoun in hypotheticals. Happens often in textbooks.

Personally I think going for the noncommittal "they" is the best bet.

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
yeah with the way things are going...WE'RE the ones thats going to be asking for equal voting rights lol

userundefine
September 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
riiight.

Elephantman5
September 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM
yeah with the way things are going...WE'RE the ones thats going to be asking for equal voting rights lol

I completely agree. Wonderful liberalism.

Dragonbite
September 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
A lot of manuals and stuff are being written alternating between the "he" and "she" pronouns so as to be more inclusive.

LaRoza
September 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I can think of several reasons:

http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2006/07/29/why-i-say-she/
So the response uses the word (or doesn't use it) showing how careful the person is.
To keep the identities of hypothetical people distinct without having to use names.
Why not? It is a pronoun.

sanderella
September 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
50% of us are she.:)

LaRoza
September 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Oh? What is your other half? I am 100% (whatever I am ;))

sydbat
September 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Now we get into the whole xx xy thingy...except for LaRoza...then it's all about the nanoprobes...

Elephantman5
September 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
A lot of manuals and stuff are being written alternating between the "he" and "she" pronouns so as to be more inclusive.

Now we get into the whole xx xy thingy...except for LaRoza...then it's all about the nanoprobes...

More inclusive? This guy's making her change her password. What an inclusive male administrator.
I'm not a feminist or anything. But I like to see little mistakes like that.
We've got a sexist on our hands boys. Couldn't find him on wiki,

SomeGuyDude
September 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM

Statistically I think it's 51%, y'all are the majority.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Oh? What is your other half? I am 100% (whatever I am )

We know what you are. We know what I am. Resistance is required.

Joeb454
September 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Perhaps it was meant to say "s/he" :)

Yes
September 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
In the forward of my Pratical C book (3rd edition), the author mentions complaints about how all the pronouns in the book are masculine, I presume the author of your book is trying to avoid such complaints.

steveneddy
September 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Well - the debate carries on here

http://askville.amazon.com/soothe-nutty-sensitivity/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=10856902

But here's my answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0EiPomK_9o

lisati
September 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Why not?
+1

I thought it was the particle-accelerator-thingummy that has been in the news lately

It's a shame that the English language doesn't have a more inclusive word, "it" doesn't quite make the grade.

Oh? What is your other half? I am 100% (whatever I am ;))

Those of us who have been around the forums a while know that already......
Kinda puts me in mind of the news item about the person (per-daugher?) who had their whole left side bitten off by a shark, they're all right now...

Keep on smiling, everyone!

steveneddy
September 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Kinda puts me in mind of the news item about the person (per-daugher?) who had their whole left side bitten off by a shark, they're all right now...

Keep on smiling, everyone!

I don't get it.

:|

LateNiteTV
September 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
liberal political correctness.

blastus
September 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
It doesn't matter. What matters are people who get offended over words like "mankind". I had one instructor who categorically got offended over any word that indicated male-gender.

The first day of class she says she's a feminist and supports women's movements, rights, etc... and then goes into deep discussions about how the English language is anti-female and whatever. Unfortunately it was an English class. What a loser she was.

uberdonkey5
September 11th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Yeh, I think offence has alot to do with intention and environment. Before feminists pointed out words like manhole cover* and such like I think most people never even considered these words to have a gender. I mean, we are lucky in english that all of our nouns don't have a gender (like in many european languages), which would make the issue far more complicated. Personally I hate the trendy way people alternate he and she in books, but its nice to acknowledge that it could be a female. Thus I'd prefer books to use either all female or all male references.

*incidently I think ladyhole cover is much better than the alternative suggested which is access chamber, but for some reasons feminists didn't like the direct alternative.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Yes. That's exactly what's going to happen.

Just as soon as The Muslims take over the White House and The Gays take over the schools.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
It doesn't matter. What matters are people who get offended over words like "mankind". I had one instructor who categorically got offended over any word that indicated male-gender.

The first day of class she says she's a feminist and supports women's movements, rights, etc... and then goes into deep discussions about how the English language is anti-female and whatever. Unfortunately it was an English class. What a loser she was.
Call her a woMAN. Or do they prefer Womyn as spelling?

Yes. That's exactly what's going to happen.

Just as soon as The Muslims take over the White House and The Gays take over the schools.
I agree with this guy.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with this guy.

With me, or the guy I was responding to?

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
With me, or the guy I was responding to?
You man.

L8erG8er
September 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Was that book written by psychocat? psychocat always refers to third person as "she".

nothingspecial
September 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Are any of you guys married. If you are you would know that the administrator is always a she.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Are any of you guys married. If you are you would know that the administrator is always a she.
I thought women liked the bad guy...
In that case the Admin is a man, secretary is a woman, and the coffee is strong.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
You man.
Ok.

You did realise I was being sarcastic?

(Sorry if I'm being dim - allergies are kicking my butt)

nothingspecial
September 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I thought women liked the bad guy...
In that case the Admin is a man, secretary is a woman, and the coffee is strong.

No no no, I was the bad guy, it starts off that way, but ........

L8erG8er
September 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Nothingspecial hit this one right on the head. If you're married, you know how this whole question is going to turn out...

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Nothingspecial hit this one right on the head. If you're married, you know how this whole question is going to turn out...

No, I agree completely.

Our author hid his subconscious rage of emasculated identity within the first chapter of a tech book.

L8erG8er
September 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, there must be something Freudian in this somewhere.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Was that book written by psychocat? psychocat always refers to third person as "she".
http://www.powells.com/s?author=Michael%20Palmer

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Seriously, though...a two-page discussion about this? Like there must be some hidden agenda?

There's no reason the default pronoun should be 'he', and 'they' is grammatically incorrect when referring to a single person.

nothingspecial
September 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Seriously, though...a two-page discussion about this? Like there must be some hidden agenda?

There's no reason the default pronoun should be 'he', and 'they' is grammatically incorrect when referring to a single person.

Thats got nothing to do with it.

Quote from my lad when he was 3 years old -

Him "Daddy, you`re in charge of cds and music aren`t you?"

Me "yes"

Him "And Mummy`s in charge of everything else"

Me ............................

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM

You're a nimrod.
He could have easily used THEY. And since you were being sarcastic, I wholeheartedly disagree with your liberal mindset.

Thats got nothing to do with it.

Quote from my lad when he was 3 years old -

Him "Daddy, you`re in charge of cds and music aren`t you?"

Me "yes"

Him "And Mummy`s in charge of everything else"

Me ............................

Nice.
That's pretty good dude.

I think there's no such thing as a balanced relationship.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
You're a nimrod.
He could have easily used THEY. And since you were being sarcastic, I wholeheartedly disagree with your liberal mindset.

Thanks for the gratuitous insult!

So if you disagree, do you think that The Muslims really are going to take over the White House, and The Gays really are going to take over the schools?

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the gratuitous insult!

So if you disagree, do you think that The Muslims really are going to take over the White House, and The Gays really are going to take over the schools?
Nope. I thought what you were saying was an exaggerated prediction of the future in a joking, conservative proposal.
Men are very much emasculated, but I don't serve this problem on a platter, and hope to have society change according to what I feel will Serve The Balance.
I think any reference to past times "Order" or Men's place and Women's place is amusing, as well as the liberal backfire nowadays, trying to make restrooms both genders, sex changes, and unnecessarily loud and disruptive parades for homosexual rights (Which I feel they should have), as well as all the other things that go along with that topic.
There are those blue collared American conservatives that b*tch about the idea of someone being a homosexual, or feel a woman has a certain place in society; whereas I have the cold calculation of the distant scientist in the matter. So, if you think I'm simply on the other side voting against abortion or something, I'm not.

I found the author's mistake amusing. But I feel very balanced in my opinions on this matter.
I only saw it as amusing. I wouldn't fix it, be pissed about it, make laws against it; or try to establish more solid blocks of legal bars against the other side of the equation.
Why is it that women get the kids in a custody battle? I can think of many things women can do, that men cannot. I can also follow the other way around.
All I know is, it's only the other side that's happening. I'm not very fond of liberal thought, and I can cherry pick it out of the air when I see it.\
Don't try to tell me there's nothing different between women and men.
Blacks and whites.
Whatever, whoever it may be. (The topic of race is another story, I wrote an essay on it)

It's the thought process we've had welded into our fearing minds, to think we're all the same, and follow the 'knowing,' equalizing kindness of the hugging liberal (women) society entity.
With models, tv, and radio's humor; ecstatically emasculating the man down into a whimpering fool, technologically spilling each gender into one another, but overall leaving those like you (at least I think, but I may be wrong), who defend in brevity the idea that inevitably leads to imbalence (ironically).

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

I found the author's mistake amusing.

Why do you consider it to be a mistake?

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
The 'she' in this case isn't referring to the administrator, but to the user.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Why do you consider it to be a mistake?
I believe publicly a man of his status would be compelled to renounce such a statement, for obviously a liberal society such as ours would inevitably blast-cannon him with invading questions on whether or not his is a sexist; all ironically based off of one pronoun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
With models, tv, and radio's humor; ecstatically emasculating the man down into a whimpering fool, technologically spilling each gender into one another, but overall leaving those like you (at least I think, but I may be wrong), who defend in brevity the idea that inevitably leads to imbalence (ironically).

If you have the impression that I consider men and women to be the same, I do not.

Equal as human beings, yes. The same, no.

And I agree with you somewhat re: the entertainment media's portrayal of men.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
If you have the impression that I consider men and women to be the same, I do not.

Equal as human beings, yes. The same, no.

And I agree with you somewhat re: the entertainment media's portrayal of men.

Yes, of course.

Top cover of "People magazine" is the liberal manifestation Barrack Obama, several other flaring pink titles, and a sex changed woman. (Hot story.)
What will society say when these people cannot raise their kids?
More money with taxes to make more programs in schools to help the kids.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
What will society say when these people cannot raise their kids?

Which people?

I know a transgendered woman (born a woman in a male body, underwent gender reassignment to correct the problem) who, along with her wife, is quite successfully raising their adopted child without any help from the taxpayer. So I'm really failing to see your point here.

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Which people?

I know a transgendered woman (born a woman in a male body, underwent gender reassignment to correct the problem) who, along with her wife, is quite successfully raising their adopted child without any help from the taxpayer. So I'm really failing to see your point here.

Of course you are.
I've never met a murderer. Doesn't mean the prison system isn't overflowing.

My point was media. Subtle changes eventually leading everyone to be alright with the problem.
The many problems.

You "Americans" who hate your country, and **** on her foundation are growing soft.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
My point was media. Subtle changes eventually leading everyone to be alright with the problem.
The many problems.

What problems? What are you on about?!

You "Americans" who hate your country, and **** on her foundation are growing soft.

What makes you think I'm American?

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What problems? What are you on about?!

What makes you think I'm American?
Heh.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Heh.

I see. That clears everything up, thanks!

Elephantman5
September 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I see. That clears everything up, thanks!
Glad to be of service.

LaRoza
September 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I've never met a murderer.

How would you know?

Canis familiaris
September 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
How would you know?
Maybe She was talking about a convicted murderer.

cmat
September 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
It's "proper" to use "he" but in all my formal writing I always use unisex terms.