PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed Ubuntu 8.04 Installation

deftonie
September 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hello,

I am new to the linux world and I heard that Ubuntu is a good beginner platform. I am trying to install the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (64 bit) OS. The CD that I have isn't on I burned myself but one that Ubuntu pressed themselves. I have run the CD integrity check and everything I fine. When, I try to install from the disk everything loads fine except for the Menu itself where it says Welcome and you select the language you need (not the initial menu where it asked you if you want to boot from cd to try it out). What you can see is the menu box with the X, word Install in the middle of the menu bar, and the background image behind the menu. What didn't load on the screen is the options in the menu box to continue the installation (all you see are these little lines that are multi colored where the words should be for the installation options).

My rig specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 gig ram
eVga GeForce 7800 GT 256mb
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (nforce 4 chipset)
DVD-ROM/DVD Burner
Floppy drive/memory card reader

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for the help.

Sef
September 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Sometimes the alternate cd (http://ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) will work where the Live CD fails to work. Just check the box below the start arrow. The alternate cd is a text-based installer that is fairly easy to install.