PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Using GNOME on HDTV

tehredbull
September 10th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Hello, I just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I love it, accept for the fact that I cannot change the screen resolution to 1280 X 1024. It allows me only one option that is so bad that it is very difficult to use Ubuntu. I am new to Linux all together, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

tehredbull

BLTicklemonster
September 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
What video card do you have?

Have you tried installing the restricted drivers for it, if it's a new enough video card?

What are you using to connect to the hdtv? Don't try s video it stinks. Try to find a vga cable at least.

tehredbull
September 10th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I have an Nvida 9800 GT, I haven't been able to find a working link for the drivers, and I'm using DVI, so there shouldn't be any worries there.

BLTicklemonster
September 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM
In synaptic, find envyng-gtk, and try it to get the best drivers. Hopefully what will get you the resolution you want. My Ubuntu looks awesome on our 50 inch plasma!

tehredbull
September 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Edit I'm currently installing envyng-gtk. I'll let you know how it goes.

BLTicklemonster
September 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
You found synaptic, good. I'm sorry I just tossed an answer out like that.

tehredbull
September 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I tried installing some drivers, but it didn't work.When I run the nvidia X server configuration tool this comes up: You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

BLTicklemonster
September 11th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Main Menu, Applications, Terminal

type

sudo nvidia-xconfig

press enter

enter password (don't freak when you don't see letters when you type your password)

Reboot the computer.