PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't even install

popoengineman
September 10th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm running ubuntu 8.04.1 from a disk image cd-rw and so far, the splash in Windows XP pops up and asks me what I would like to do. I want to install ubuntu onto my computer. So I click the first option, which says I must boot ubuntu from the live cd and I can install it from there.

Well I reboot my computer and it tells me everytime that ubuntu is running in low graphics mode. I try to configure the settings so it will work, but I guess I'm not picking the right things. Anyway, here are my specs (I know most of this information may not be needed but I am posting it just in case):

Display card

Name - Radeon X800 SE
Manuf.-ATI Tech Inc
Chip - Radeon X800 SE (0x554B)
DAC - Internal DAC (400MHz)
Total Memory - 128.0MB
Display: 1280x1024 16 bit 60Hz
Monitor: Dell E193FP

Driver info

Main Driver - ati2dvag.dll (What is the name for this driver??)
Version - 6.14.0010.6476 English
Mini VDD - ati2mtag.sys
VDD - n/a
DDI version - 9 or higher

When I setup, I chose the correct monitor, resolution and 60Hz, but when on the Display (Driver?) tab, I chose Radeon card, etc,
I don't even know what VESA means.

This is what I see after a successful or unsuccessful configuration:

Starting deferred executive scheduler [OK]
Starting periodic command scheduler [OK]
Checking battery state... [OK]
running local boot scripts [OK]
_ <thats a blinking underscore

Thats all! Does nothing for hours, I've waited.

I have also tried the following:
ctrl+alt+f1/2 ... typing startx fatal server error, caught signal 11, server aborting

and i tried "sudo dkpg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"

If I can't even run from the CD to install ubuntu,
I'll probably just call the whole thing quits.

*edit*
Yes I am running "Live" Ubuntu from a CD, Nothings been installed, it just wont even start

roccity1
September 10th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Does it install to a command line at least?

popoengineman
September 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Does it install to a command line at least?

If you mean the DOS style thing (I asked a friend to help me interpret what youre saying)? Then no, it doesn't.

I dont think anything installs, Im running from the "live cd" and it wont even start. it gives me graphic card issues

Is that what you mean?

lisati
September 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Are you able to boot from the CD?

GreatGariny
September 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM
There is an alternate install disc you could try. It uses a text based installer instead of a graphical one so it should run on anything. Its not too different from the questions the graphical mode asks you during install.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Check the box at the bottom that says: Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD.

Good luck and make sure you are double sure on partitioning if you want to keep Windows.

There is also a safe graphics mode you can enable if your CD goes to the Ubuntu menu with, install ubuntu, check memory, etc.

popoengineman
September 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Are you able to boot from the CD?

Nope! This is where my issue lies, I am booting the CD and after the Ubuntu image and just below it, the loading bar, it presents me with:

_

the screen blinks a couple times at four second intervals, then I see an "X" cursor and a dialog box that says my graphics card couldnt be identified and that ubuntu is running in low graphics mode. It gives me the option of configuration, but either way, i still always end back at this screen:

_

popoengineman
September 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
There is an alternate install disc you could try. It uses a text based installer instead of a graphical one so it should run on anything. Its not too different from the questions the graphical mode asks you during install.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Check the box at the bottom that says: Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD.

Good luck and make sure you are double sure on partitioning if you want to keep Windows.

There is also a safe graphics mode you can enable if your CD goes to the Ubuntu menu with, install ubuntu, check memory, etc.

Thanks. In the meantime while trying to troubleshoot my problem, I will look for the alternate disk download for DVD-RW iso, that is all I have (DVD-RW, not CD-RW) right now.

roccity1
September 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
If you press ctl+alt and f1 or f2 does it drop you to a terminal?If it does you could try using the vesa driver which is generic but it should work to get you graphical though.

IF it does type nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for a line that says Section "Device" and driver change the driver to vesa and save with ctl x then press y to save.