PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-installing Ubuntu?

Crusnik
September 10th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Hello everyone, first time poster here!

I had Ubuntu installed on my Lenovo T60p at my college's Linux User Group -- that was quite a while back. I'm not exactly happy with what I did with the linux Partition, and would just like a clean start -- back to the way it was when it was installed the first day.

Is there a way for me to do this?

I appreciate any help you may gave, and also patience with a Linux Newbie.

justin315
September 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Download Ubuntu from their website and burn an ISO CD with the information on it, or get a free copy from them in the mail.

Make your computer boot from the CD/DVD-ROM drive first and run the Ubuntu Installation from there.

(You can probably just follow the basic steps in the installation, such as them doing the partitioning and what not for you-making things easy.)

Crusnik
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
So this will enable me to re-install ubuntu to the way it was at first?

I basically want Ubuntu Reset without affecting my XP Partition, or my Thinkpad's Recovery Partition.

While on that subject, with the suggestion you mentioned, since Ubuntu has its own partition at the moment, would it be possible to delete Ubuntu from it and install another distro on it, if i chose to do so?

Thanks for all your help!

tarps87
September 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
The partitioning step is important if you have more than one partition. Do not tell Ubuntu to use the entire disk or you will wipe the XP partition if there are on the same hard drive. When you get to the partitioning stage look for the existing partition probably labelled linux, you can then set this to your root partition "/" and there should already be a swap file which can be used as the swap file for your new installation. If you have don't understand all of it if make a note of all the partitions and post them here I (or someone) will be happy to explain it.

Yes you would be able to remove Ubuntu and install any other ditro.

Crusnik
September 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
All right.

I'll come back with more info when I burn the iso.