PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen going black when installing Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit

scottyadam
September 10th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Here is my computer specs:

HP Pavilion dv6000
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
1982MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

When I try to install Ubuntu on this computer here is what happens:

- Computer starts up and "autoplay" window comes up
- I say that I want to install
- the screen goes black and then devices are checked.
- the screen goes black and stays black...the fan shuts off and nothing happens...I left for a while and still nothing...what the heck is going on?

So...pretty vague but has this happened to anyone else and what the heck can I do. I have heard from people that ubuntu work well on hp machines...do they stand corrected or is it just my machine that needs some "extra" attention?

Since my computer is 64 bit I tried that version and then 32 bit and both of them do the same thing. This was very similar to what happend to my OPENSUSE but it happened after installation and a driver didn't want to load...and fedora works fine BUT I WANT TO USE UBUNTU!!! lol

Adam

tuxxy
September 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Maybe you could try the 64-Bit alternate install CD, its text based but still fairly simple.

Heres a link to the 64-Bit User-Group (http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=258) for when you get it all working :)

scottyadam
September 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Now when I install it this way will there still be a GUI when I am running the operating system?

Any reason why this may have happened to me?