PDA

View Full Version : The best OS ever....made from linux

Howitzer777
September 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
well a lot of people dual boot, usually with windows and linux, but its a hassle to reboot everytime when switching OS, so what if i made an OS that just a blank operating system and a user could use a xp disc, and install windows, and then take a linux live cd and then put that on there. and you could seamlessly switch between OSs and it would be wonderfuL!

RedPandaFox
September 10th, 2008, 02:41 AM
well a lot of people dual boot, usually with windows and linux, but its a hassle to reboot everytime when switching OS, so what if i made an OS that just a blank operating system and a user could use a xp disc, and install windows, and then take a linux live cd and then put that on there. and you could seamlessly switch between OSs and it would be wonderfuL!

But how do you intend to do this?

I was going to put Ubuntu on a desktop, with duel monitors then put XP to boot in a VM on startup on the second monitor

Newuser1111
September 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
well a lot of people dual boot, usually with windows and linux, but its a hassle to reboot everytime when switching OS, so what if i made an OS that just a blank operating system and a user could use a xp disc, and install windows, and then take a linux live cd and then put that on there. and you could seamlessly switch between OSs and it would be wonderfuL!I don't understand.
Is it like VirtualBox/VMware/Wine? Or is this something different?

zmjjmz
September 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM
One possibility is to have two hard disks, and put one in hibernation (just store the current memory stack in swap) and then go back to something like a Splashtop BIOS and boot into another OS on the other hard disk.

cardinals_fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:47 AM
...and if pigs had wings, they could fly.

RedPandaFox
September 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM
...and if pigs had wings, they could fly.

Not really, if they have wings they could be like penguins and not be able to fly

inportb
September 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Like Wine on Linux? Or if you want to get more hardcore... CoLinux? o.o (or CoUbuntu, which is being planned, I think)

Howitzer777
September 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
no no no. alright. I called it BlankOS,

think about ubuntu's multipul desktop feature. you can switch from desktop to desktop.

well this is the same concept but with OSs

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM
It would be technically possible with a couple of VTs which are very small and handle only hardware abstraction. normally bassed on Linux.

I think they already existing, although a pain in the neck to use and I don't even know if they work with mouse/monitor as their build for server use.

scouser73
September 10th, 2008, 03:34 AM

think about ubuntu's multipul desktop feature. you can switch from desktop to desktop.

Why?...I know what you mean, but all I can think of is, why?:confused:

RedPandaFox
September 10th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Why not just put a VM in a different desktop on Ubuntu?

smartboyathome
September 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Like Wine on Linux? Or if you want to get more hardcore... CoLinux? o.o (or CoUbuntu, which is being planned, I think)

Its already in progress, its called andLinux. There's also Topologilinux, which is based off of Slackware. I haven't been able to get any to work for me though, it always crashes my video driver. :(

Newuser1111
September 10th, 2008, 04:08 AM

well this is the same concept but with OSsSuch as VirtualBox? (or VMware)

cardinals_fan
September 10th, 2008, 04:22 AM

How do you plan to implement this? Virtualization is nothing new...

worx101
September 10th, 2008, 05:15 AM
To late, already done, VMware has a OS that does just this.

zachtib
September 10th, 2008, 05:18 AM
so, essentially ESXi, but geared towards the desktop?

BLTicklemonster
September 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Not really, if they have wings they could be like penguins and not be able to fly

lol "piguins"

sorry, that was my second play on the word penguin in a row.

y@w
September 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Parallels and VMware have already done this on Mac with a Windows VM. You can mix windows from Windows (sorry, had to) with windows of applications with OS X. Works pretty slick if you ask me..

MaxIBoy
September 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
If I understand you correctly (you meaning the original poster,) you're talking about hosting multiple OSs under a hypervisor (which is a "host" OS specifically designed to host and even coordinate one or more "guest" OSs.)

Linux already has the built-in ability to run as a hypervisor. (I think.)

This is different than running something like VMware, which is an extra layer of abstraction on top of the OS. Parallels for Mac turns OS X into a hypervisor host OS. As I've already said, this feature is built into the Linux kernel itself.

However, even VMware or VirtualBox can do Seamless Mode (windows from different OSs freely interact in the same desktop environment.) The advantage of using a hypervisor instead of running an emulator is a performance boost.

stat30fbliss
September 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Although impossible, it would be cool to run A Desktop cube with each face correlating to an OS. Windows, OSX, Ubuntu, & Fedora :)

That would be awesome.

RedPandaFox
September 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Although impossible, it would be cool to run A Desktop cube with each face correlating to an OS. Windows, OSX, Ubuntu, & Fedora :)

That would be awesome.

Not possible with multiple VMs?

dgrafix
September 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Yes it is.

I have Ubuntu with an XP and Dos6.2+3.11 pair of VMs.
I can switch between them easily when they are running.
They all connect with a mapped drive to my main disk shares where i keep my files so essentially they all have the same "harddisk" for data storage so to speak. (at least the XP one does, the DOS one is just for really old games :))

go here:
www.easyvmx.com

RedPandaFox
September 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Yes it is.

I have Ubuntu with an XP and Dos6.2+3.11 VM.
I can switch between them easily when they are running.
They all connect to my main disk shares where i keep my files so essentially they all have the same user data-space so to speak.

You got any info on how to set this up?

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM

well with the rate of technology its possible to do something like this, but please getting Microsoft to co operate is like trying to teach a Hippopotamus to fly.

tariquepark
September 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
i think what we are all talking about is vmware as an OS?? while a brilliant idea you would still have all the inherant problems of windows linux mac compatability and each os's hardware management.
I mean having two programs in one OS attempting to access the same hardware at the same time can still yield unfavourable results occasionally :):)

wishyjr
September 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
there are a lot of flying animals in this thread, like it. :)

MaxIBoy
September 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM

That would be awesome.

Absolutely possible. Four different fullscreen VirtualBoxes.

anotherdisciple
September 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
That would use A LOT of RAM! and I can't imagine the situation where I need to go back and forth between OS's over and over again.

Besides, running an OS inside an OS is basically a virtual box... and they always run slower than you'd like.

god0fgod
September 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Why have Windows as well?

spupy
September 10th, 2008, 11:33 PM
What I imagine is having something like Wine for operating systems. You got Linux installed with this Thing. The Thing emulates Windows and OS X kernels on a very low level, near the kernel. That is a layer on top of the Linux kernel that implements the interfaces of the Win and OS X kernels. So you can install Windows and OS X on the Thing, and run them and their stuff like you run programs in Wine right now. With almost no performance boost. There shouldn't be any hardware conflicts since there is only one kernel governing devices.

In memory of this thread, the Thing will be called...

PIGUIN

niccholaspage
September 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
^Possible.
It would take VirtualBox,Some stuff changed and some good RAM.
EDIT:What is wrong with my brain.I was trying to quote this poste:

That would be awesome.

Newuser1111
September 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM

That would be awesome.I'm already trying to do that except it would be
Desk1: Ubuntu 8.04
Desk2: Windows XP Home Edition
Desk3: OS X Leopard
Desk4: FreeBSD or PC-BSD

Right now,
I am waiting for an update to VirtualBox so it can use VHDs correctly and have to try to get VMware working. And FreeBSD is currently downloading, It's at 85.57%

MaxIBoy
September 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
What I imagine is having something like Wine for operating systems. You got Linux installed with this Thing. The Thing emulates Windows and OS X kernels on a very low level, near the kernel. That is a layer on top of the Linux kernel that implements the interfaces of the Win and OS X kernels. So you can install Windows and OS X on the Thing, and run them and their stuff like you run programs in Wine right now. With almost no performance boost. There shouldn't be any hardware conflicts since there is only one kernel governing devices.

In memory of this thread, the Thing will be called...

PIGUIN

That would be too complicated and glitchy to create, I'd just stick with hyperviser hosting multiple guests, or better yet, just run multiple compatibility layers.

smartboyathome
September 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Xen, anyone? Xen would do this very well, and runs on Linux. Xen is a type 1 hypervisor (which is the same type as Paralells Server), unlike VMWare Workstation and Virtualbox which are VMs, or type 2 hypervisors. The difference between type 1 and type 2? Type 1 hypervisors run on a given platform's hardware, which means its running more or less on the native hardware, whereas type 2 hypervisors run on an operating system as a "guest" OS.

cardinals_fan
September 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Xen, anyone? Xen would do this very well, and runs on Linux. Xen is a type 1 hypervisor (which is the same type as Paralells Server), unlike VMWare Workstation and Virtualbox which are VMs, or type 2 hypervisors. The difference between type 1 and type 2? Type 1 hypervisors run on a given platform's hardware, which means its running more or less on the native hardware, whereas type 2 hypervisors run on an operating system as a "guest" OS.
NetBSD runs Xen very well :)

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I'm already trying to do that except it would be
Desk1: Ubuntu 8.04
Desk2: Windows XP Home Edition
Desk3: OS X Leopard
Desk4: FreeBSD or PC-BSD

Right now,
I am waiting for an update to VirtualBox so it can use VHDs correctly and have to try to get VMware working. And FreeBSD is currently downloading, It's at 85.57%

Let us know how that goes and with what specs.

What hardware would you think you would need to run this well?

uberdonkey5
September 11th, 2008, 12:45 AM
another possibility is to have two processors, each operating with its own hard drive, and its own monitor, and you could even put them in seperate boxes, connected by a USP cable... a bit like having two computers :D

only kidding, good luck and would love to hear the result

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Let us know how that goes and with what specs.

What hardware would you think you would need to run this well?It should work in Ubuntu, because I did the same thing in Windows Vista with Virtual PC/VMware/Bochs and it ran very good.

Compaq Presario F756NR- AMD Turion 64 x2, 2GB of RAM, 120(?)GB Hard drive/320GB Portable Hard Drive.

In Vista I had it this way:

Windows Vista(Not in a VM)
Windows XP Home Edition(Virtual PC)
Linux(Bochs)I forgot what Linux it was but I think it was Redhat.
Windows 98(Virtual PC)
OS X 10.4.8(VMware)

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM
It should work in Ubuntu, because I did the same thing in Windows Vista with Virtual PC/VMware/Bochs).

Compaq Presario F756NR- AMD Turion 64 x2, 2GB of RAM, 120(?)GB Hard drive/320GB Portable Hard Drive.

In Vista I had it this way:

Windows Vista(Not in a VM)
Windows XP Home Edition(Virtual PC)
Linux(Bochs)I forgot what Linux it was but I think it was Redhat.
Windows 98(Virtual PC)
OS X 10.4.8(VMware)

So you VMed in Vista with XP, RedHat, 98, and OSX at once?

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 01:28 AM
So you VMed in Vista with XP, RedHat, 98, and OSX at once?Yes, all at the same time.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Interesting, I want to try it on my laptop but I wanted it in Ubuntu but I cant get networking to work in Ubuntu :( I might have to run them in Vista like you...
How do you switch between them, do you have them always running and how well do they run and interact?

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Interesting, I want to try it on my laptop but I wanted it in Ubuntu but I cant get networking to work in Ubuntu :( I might have to run them in Vista like you...
How do you switch between them, do you have them always running and how well do they run and interact?
They can use shared folders and when you want to switch to another one just press a certain key(s) to get the cursor out of one then click on the other one.

They were able to use the internet and shared folders but I had internet and shared folders disabled in XP because I think it has/had a virus.

They ran good, they were not slow.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM
They can use shared folders and when you want to switch to another one just press a certain key(s) to get the cursor out of one then click on the other one.

They were able to use the internet and shared folders but I had internet and shared folders disabled in XP because I think it has/had a virus.

They ran good, they were not slow.

So are they in all on the same monitor or minimized when not in use?

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM
So are they in all on the same monitor or minimized when not in use?On the same monitor, but that caused some of them to have scrollbars, which is why I want to do it on Ubuntu so I have the cube and then they could all be fullscreen.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
On the same monitor, but that caused some of them to have scrollbars, which is why I want to do it on Ubuntu so I have the cube and then they could all be fullscreen.

Thats what I want to do, I just need to get my networking on my laptop, then Ill try it in Ubuntu, If I use my Vista key twice on the same machine while both are still being used?

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
If I use my Vista key twice on the same machine while both are still being used?You can't use a key twice unless it has a strange problem like my XP one or if your reinstalling.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
You can't use a key twice unless it has a strange problem like my XP one or if your reinstalling.

I know that if there is a problem you can re-install it and call Microsoft at activation, but if its being used on the assigned machine do you think I can?

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I know that if there is a problem you can re-install it and call Microsoft at activation, but if its being used on the assigned machine do you think I can?Probably, you can try.

The problem with my XP key was that it was letting me activate it on multiple computers. So it's installed on my Laptop, my Desktop, and in VirtualPC on my laptop.
I didn't tell Microsoft that it was happening but I guess they know.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Probably, you can try.

The problem with my XP key was that it was letting me activate it on multiple computers. So it's installed on my Laptop, my Desktop, and in VirtualPC on my laptop.
I didn't tell Microsoft that it was happening but I guess they know.

You need to call and explain if its legitimate and they supply a new key to activate

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 02:45 AM
You need to call and explain if its legitimate and they supply a new key to activateSounds easy.
So did it work?

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Sounds easy.
So did it work?

I did it once with XP, and it works with word (my unnamed computer seller does it all the time in a business with one key, calls back a month later and says he has to reformat the HDD and they cant trace it)

Newuser1111
September 11th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I did it once with XP, and it works with word (my unnamed computer seller does it all the time in a business with one key, calls back a month later and says he has to reformat the HDD and they cant trace it)OK.

And,
I'll probably be waiting for a new version of VirtualBox for a few days, I don't expect it to be out tomorrow or today. Or I could just find a way to convert VHD to VDI.

RedPandaFox
September 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Ill give it a try on my lunch break on my Vista laptop, if I have any live disks on me, I think I left them in my bags with other 2 laptops :(

archer6
September 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'm putting the final touches on a
ThinkPad T60p

2.4.GHz Core2 Duo 4GB ram
Main bay 250GB 7200rpm HD
Ultra bay 250GB 7200rpm HD
256mb video card
15" IPS Flexview SXGA+
Intel 802.11 a/b/c

Running VMware
1) Ubuntu 8.04
2) XP ProSp3
3) OS X Leopard
4) FreeBSD

Thus far I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Canis familiaris
September 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Already Done:
http://amitech.50webs.com/ultimate.html

Courtesy: Virtualbox.

The only downside is No Games.

RedPandaFox
September 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Already Done:
http://amitech.50webs.com/ultimate.html

Courtesy: Virtualbox.

The only downside is No Games.

No games? Bah, whats the point? :lolflag:

Canis familiaris
September 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
No games? Bah, whats the point? :lolflag:

:)

god0fgod
September 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
What is this then?

https://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=118&osCsid=729e6fb4f826cf4a649b7fccb5908a3f

Jonathan45
September 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Man if i only could have multiple desktops wit different OS like having OS X on 1 Windows on one GNOME on one and KDE on one hmmmmmmm.....
that would be cool!
:guitar:

god0fgod
September 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
And pointless?

RedPandaFox
September 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
When I get my laptop on the net with Ubuntu (I cant get it to work atm, Vista will work fine) I will try Vista, OS X, Ubuntu, XP and Debian

cardinals_fan
September 15th, 2008, 06:34 AM
When I get my laptop on the net with Ubuntu (I cant get it to work atm, Vista will work fine) I will try Vista, OS X, Ubuntu, XP and Debian
I assume you have a Mac...

RedPandaFox
September 15th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I assume you have a Mac...

Would I be posting this on a legal site if I didnt?

archer6
September 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Would I be posting this on a legal site if I didnt?
Ten points for the great humor, even if it wasn't supposed to be funny, I did get a chuckle out of it. But that's just me...:)

RedPandaFox
September 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Dammit! Apparently my PC somehow has less than 1 CPU so I cant use that VM

billgoldberg
September 16th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Dammit! Apparently my PC somehow has less than 1 CPU so I cant use that VM

lol

A PC with less than 1 cpu.

lol

--

I guess you meant less than two.

I only have one cpu on my laptop (and not the fastest one) and I can run any OS in a VM.

phrostbyte
September 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I do this already. Virtualbox set on one workspace.

phrostbyte
September 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM

That would be awesome.

Not impossible at all! In fact it's very trivial! You can set up a virtual machine fullscreen and switch between operating systems with Ctrl+Alt-Ctrl-Arrow - with cube effect and all between the OSes! Then you can use Super-E and view all four OSes at the same time. It's really not that hard, but you need a ton of RAM!

RedPandaFox
September 16th, 2008, 12:50 AM
lol

A PC with less than 1 cpu.

lol

--

I guess you meant less than two.

I only have one cpu on my laptop (and not the fastest one) and I can run any OS in a VM.

No, it told me I have less than 1. I told it to use 1CPU and it told me something like "You have entered more CPUs than you have"

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 12:52 AM
No, it told me I have less than 1. I told it to use 1CPU and it told me something like "You have entered more CPUs than you have"

Enter zero. It may be indexing from 0, like most logical people.

RedPandaFox
September 16th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Enter zero. It may be indexing from 0, like most logical people.

Didnt have a 0 option

dgrafix
September 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
You got any info on how to set this up?

Sure.

Go to www.easyvmx.com and create your VM. This will create you a file. Then go to vmware's site and download the free "vmware player" for linux (or windows) and then simply open the file you generated with the vmware player. I think there is a link to this under useful links on the easyvmx site.

This will give you a virtual machine complete with virtual bios. Put in your windows/dos cd and reboot the VM from the menu. Basically treat everything happening in that window as a separate PC. You can have as many of these as you like.

Whe whole thing (windows, apps and files on the C drive etc) will be stored in a special single virtual machine file (bit like an image) in your home folder (or wherever) which can be easily backed up.

And yes you can use the compiz cube with it.