PDA

View Full Version : What if Canonical allowed money to enter the equation?

airjaw
September 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
The equation being the whole open source Ubuntu movement.

I've thought about this recently and I think some of the problems Ubuntu community is experiencing can be chalked up to Ubuntu movement not actually being a business. now there are pros and cons to that of course. Pros being that Ubuntu is free and we have the best intentions and those intentions remain pure, etc.
People volunteering, making the world a better place, etc.
What though, are the cons, that a typical business does not face?

One that I can see is that there is not enough incentive to attract and retain users. I say not enough because there are some incentives, like more users = more market share and thus hopefully more hardware support or more users = better community (hopefully). Maybe you also get a kick out of "converting" people to the Ubuntu movement. Those are incentives for sure, but not as strong incentives as a business has for attracting and retaining users. If a business spends money and time marketing its product and carefully building its brand and is rewarded with millions of new users, all is well and great and the business prospers. However, if product does not live up to user's expectations then many will in all likelihood return it. This means no more money and the business eventually goes out of business. If you don't live up to your user's expectations, you take a hike and move over for those companies that will.

I think this is much of the problem with Ubuntu that I've outlined in a few previous posts and why some people just can't come to an agreement on anything. The way Ubuntu is marketed , really just doesn't live up to reality. The problem lies in there being no incentive to change besides the goodwill of the community. There is a big difference between the mindset of a customer who buys a product and the mindset of a longtime user/supporter of a community/movement/opensource/freesoftware org like Ubuntu. For a few of latter its as much a philosophical and religious matter as it is a practical one.

You guys complain about hardware support. Its not your fault that the vendors don't support you, etc. Yes I agree. So do something about it, instead of flaming users who experience problems. These users are the key to your success, are they not? the more that leave the less bargaining power you will have with which to get these vendors to listen.

I respect a lot of the open source movement's ideals and values and I'm not trying to change any of those or any of you. I'm just asking questions for my own pure curiosity.

-Would you consider paying Vendors to start supporting hardware? Maybe draw up contracts with nvidia and ATI, pay them X sum amount of money, and they promise to provide linux drivers for Y years.

-Would you consider charging people money for Ubuntu? I know i Know this goes against all your values. But it is something to consider if your model is not working properly. By charging money, you force the owners/developers/founders of Ubuntu to do more to retain those users. If those users leave, you lose the money. you could even model this as a "donation" fee to be returned if the user is not satisfied with Ubuntu.

-no one likes working on hard bugs that aren't fun to fix. for example , UI problems. I don't know many ppl that want to work on these for fun. However, these tasks have to be done. If these tasks are not being completed in a sufficient amount of time (honestly I have no idea if they are or not with Ubuntu, i'm just posing a question here), would you consider paying people to solve them? with deadlines of course, so that they'd really need to put their mind to it.

Maybe Ubuntu could have a donation pool with which to use this money for things as they see fit. (NOT private jets or other unnecessary luxury items CEOs try to justify nowadays)
This donation pool could come from the users, other companies who end up using Ubuntu and liking it, private donors, etc etc.

Now I realize my beliefs and biases probably come through in this post but really I expressed those fully in my other posts. I only expressed them here to make larger points, so please lets not turn this into a religious war.

edit:: Just wanted to add, after further thinking, that many non-profits still charge money for their services and that money is still necessary for their success. They have vision and values just like opensource/FSF movement does and they don't have "making money" as an incentive. They still pay people money though and they will still charge for their services. Why? Maybe because they need that extra money to keep the nonprofit operating. But by charging ppl they also place some kind of standard of quality on themselves that users will come to expect. Granted it may not be as high as the services of a company, but users will still expect some level of satisfaction as they are forking up money. This forces the nonprofit to at least meet that standard or level of expectation.

For example, Humane Society vs. a normal vet. I bring this up cuz i just got my kittens a few weeks ago and i had to take them to the vet. Of course the private Vet is more expensive but the office is nicer, and I have a same day, walk in visit. in contrast, humane society's building is a bit older and it is packed with people. The wait list is like 3 weeks for an appointment. However, the price is lower. Of course I still expect some level of service from them as I have to pay them money still, but my expectation will not be on the level of that of a private Vet. If Humane Society did not charge for their services, not only would rich and poor people take their pets there, humane society would lose their incentive to provide quality care at all. After all they don't lose anything if customers are unsatisfied.

cardinals_fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:15 AM
-Would you consider charging people money for Ubuntu? I know i Know this goes against all your values. But it is something to consider if your model is not working properly. By charging money, you force the owners/developers/founders of Ubuntu to do more to retain those users. If those users leave, you lose the money. you could even model this as a "donation" fee to be returned if the user is not satisfied with Ubuntu.

This only works with the enterprise market, where companies such as Red Hat make money by selling support licenses. Desktop users would just download a free Ubuntu derivative.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I'd like some money to develop tools, programs and services. It's unlikely anyone will be able or willing to hand it over though as there isn't the incentive, cultural norm or structured website organisation for handling it.

One of the biggest organisational problems is the lack of entrepreneurial ecosystem support in our community. We just don't like people earning a living.

aysiu
September 10th, 2008, 03:43 AM
You're making a few faulty assumptions or just aren't aware of what's going on.

Canonical is a for-profit company, and it does actually charge money for its services:
http://www.canonical.com/services/support

It is also perfectly legal and ethical to charge for Ubuntu, and people do:
http://www.amazon.com/Canonical-Ubuntu-8-04-DVD/dp/B0019KKM4O
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374

As a matter of fact, pretty much every Linux distro can be sold:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

At the beginning of last year, no major OEMs were selling consumer-targeted Linux computers. Now, you have Asus with the Xandros Eee PC. You have HP with the SLED Mini-note. You have the Acer Aspire Ones with Linpus Linux. You have Dell laptops, desktops, and netbooks with Ubuntu.

Maybe there are a few users here who don't really do anything to help Ubuntu commercially, but Mark Shuttleworth isn't sitting on his thumbs. Things are happening!

Lostincyberspace
September 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Maybe there are a few users here who don't really do anything to help Ubuntu

I think he is referring to me there!

airjaw
September 10th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I admit I probably did make some faulty assumptions so I'm glad you pointed them out for me. Its hard for me to get myself to write anything without assumptions so I usually imagine mental models in my head and write theories out and get them tested by "reality" later.

You're making a few faulty assumptions or just aren't aware of what's going on.

Canonical is a for-profit company, and it does actually charge money for its services:
http://www.canonical.com/services/support

It is also perfectly legal and ethical to charge for Ubuntu, and people do:
http://www.amazon.com/Canonical-Ubuntu-8-04-DVD/dp/B0019KKM4O
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374

As a matter of fact, pretty much every Linux distro can be sold:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

At the beginning of last year, no major OEMs were selling consumer-targeted Linux computers. Now, you have Asus with the Xandros Eee PC. You have HP with the SLED Mini-note. You have the Acer Aspire Ones with Linpus Linux. You have Dell laptops, desktops, and netbooks with Ubuntu.

Maybe there are a few users here who don't really do anything to help Ubuntu commercially, but Mark Shuttleworth isn't sitting on his thumbs. Things are happening!

Ok so, Canonical is a for-profit company. Just want to discuss some of the questions I had in my original post.

Who are the main hardware manufacturers? I've read that a big problem with getting sound, video, wireless to work is that the manufacturers don't provide drivers for linux so these have to be reverse-engineered. I'm just wondering how much of a feat it is to get these manufacturers to develop these drivers. That should be a goal of the community, no? Make everyone's life easier. How much would it cost?

Also, is there a problem with developers not wanting to work on UI stuff, stuff that is not generally "fun" to work on? I ask because I don't want to make any assumptions. Just trying to learn what the reality is.

last question: Canonical is the for-profit company. Do they employ the developers or are the developers working for free? Does Canonical have complete control over everything? Meaning do they control how Ubuntu is marketed, the overall direction and vision of Ubuntu, etc. etc. I guess Mark shuttlesworth would have to be discussed here too.

waapwoop1
September 10th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I think he is referring to me there!

Its ok. By using it you are helping them. a lot

lisati
September 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
The problem with donations as an option is that people will often ignore it - I know I often use "free" software and/or services without giving financial support much thought (if any).

airjaw
September 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
The problem with donations as an option is that people will often ignore it - I know I often use "free" software and/or services without giving financial support much thought (if any).

Part of the problem I think is that we have no idea what Canonical is using the money for. If there was a special fund that we knew would go towards solving a particular problem, we might entice ppl to pay for it more.

I don't like giving money to random charities that approach me on the street because I have no idea how properly that money will be used.

aaaantoine
September 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Canonical is the for-profit company. Do they employ the developers or are the developers working for free? Does Canonical have complete control over everything? Meaning do they control how Ubuntu is marketed, the overall direction and vision of Ubuntu, etc. etc. I guess Mark shuttlesworth would have to be discussed here too.

Canonical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd.) has 130 employees. Among them are several developers that not only maintain the distribution, but also push patches and features upstream to project maintainers.

airjaw
September 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Canonical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd.) has 130 employees. Among them are several developers that not only maintain the distribution, but also push patches and features upstream to project maintainers.

Thank you.
Another question.. may sound stupid

Drivers for hardware in Linux:
If hardware companies were to develop drivers for Linux, would they only need to develop one set of drivers that would work across CentOOS, ubuntu, opensuse, redhat, etc. all linux distros. Or would they have to develop separate ones for each?

kostkon
September 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
The equation being the whole open source Ubuntu movement.

I've thought about this recently and I think some of the problems Ubuntu community is experiencing can be chalked up to Ubuntu movement not actually being a business. now there are pros and cons to that of course. Pros being that Ubuntu is free and we have the best intentions and those intentions remain pure, etc.
People volunteering, making the world a better place, etc.
What though, are the cons, that a typical business does not face?

One that I can see is that there is not enough incentive to attract and retain users. I say not enough because there are some incentives, like more users = more market share and thus hopefully more hardware support or more users = better community (hopefully). Maybe you also get a kick out of "converting" people to the Ubuntu movement. Those are incentives for sure, but not as strong incentives as a business has for attracting and retaining users. If a business spends money and time marketing its product and carefully building its brand and is rewarded with millions of new users, all is well and great and the business prospers. However, if product does not live up to user's expectations then many will in all likelihood return it. This means no more money and the business eventually goes out of business. If you don't live up to your user's expectations, you take a hike and move over for those companies that will.

I think this is much of the problem with Ubuntu that I've outlined in a few previous posts and why some people just can't come to an agreement on anything. The way Ubuntu is marketed , really just doesn't live up to reality. The problem lies in there being no incentive to change besides the goodwill of the community. There is a big difference between the mindset of a customer who buys a product and the mindset of a longtime user/supporter of a community/movement/opensource/freesoftware org like Ubuntu. For a few of latter its as much a philosophical and religious matter as it is a practical one.

You guys complain about hardware support. Its not your fault that the vendors don't support you, etc. Yes I agree. So do something about it, instead of flaming users who experience problems. These users are the key to your success, are they not? the more that leave the less bargaining power you will have with which to get these vendors to listen.

I respect a lot of the open source movement's ideals and values and I'm not trying to change any of those or any of you. I'm just asking questions for my own pure curiosity.

-Would you consider paying Vendors to start supporting hardware? Maybe draw up contracts with nvidia and ATI, pay them X sum amount of money, and they promise to provide linux drivers for Y years.

-no one likes working on hard bugs that aren't fun to fix. for example , UI problems. I don't know many ppl that want to work on these for fun. However, these tasks have to be done. If these tasks are not being completed in a sufficient amount of time (honestly I have no idea if they are or not with Ubuntu, i'm just posing a question here), would you consider paying people to solve them? with deadlines of course, so that they'd really need to put their mind to it.

Maybe Ubuntu could have a donation pool with which to use this money for things as they see fit. (NOT private jets or other unnecessary luxury items CEOs try to justify nowadays)
This donation pool could come from the users, other companies who end up using Ubuntu and liking it, private donors, etc etc.

Now I realize my beliefs and biases probably come through in this post but really I expressed those fully in my other posts. I only expressed them here to make larger points, so please lets not turn this into a religious war.

edit:: Just wanted to add, after further thinking, that many non-profits still charge money for their services and that money is still necessary for their success. They have vision and values just like opensource/FSF movement does and they don't have "making money" as an incentive. They still pay people money though and they will still charge for their services. Why? Maybe because they need that extra money to keep the nonprofit operating. But by charging ppl they also place some kind of standard of quality on themselves that users will come to expect. Granted it may not be as high as the services of a company, but users will still expect some level of satisfaction as they are forking up money. This forces the nonprofit to at least meet that standard or level of expectation.

For example, Humane Society vs. a normal vet. I bring this up cuz i just got my kittens a few weeks ago and i had to take them to the vet. Of course the private Vet is more expensive but the office is nicer, and I have a same day, walk in visit. in contrast, humane society's building is a bit older and it is packed with people. The wait list is like 3 weeks for an appointment. However, the price is lower. Of course I still expect some level of service from them as I have to pay them money still, but my expectation will not be on the level of that of a private Vet. If Humane Society did not charge for their services, not only would rich and poor people take their pets there, humane society would lose their incentive to provide quality care at all. After all they don't lose anything if customers are unsatisfied.

Part of the problem I think is that we have no idea what Canonical is using the money for. If there was a special fund that we knew would go towards solving a particular problem, we might entice ppl to pay for it more.

I don't like giving money to random charities that approach me on the street because I have no idea how properly that money will be used.
It seems you are a little confused.

Canonical it's just another company that makes an OS, like Microsoft and Apple does, and other products around it.

Canonical's funding comes from its founder, Mark Shuttleworth, a multimillionaire. Canonicals income comes mostly from support services.

Don't feel obligated to donate money, you don't need to. I don't know if it is easy to do it after all.

As I said, Ubuntu is a product of Canonical, and we all the community of users of this product. Community of a different kind, a community that takes part of the shaping of the product, etc since this is an open source product.

The important thing, thus, is the fact that the Ubuntu is an open source product/project and open to all people to participate. You and me.

So, there are many ways that you can help if you want, to participate in this community.

It would be very good to do some more research to get a clearer picture.

airjaw
September 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks.. i have a better understanding now.

What are the main obstacles with getting vendors to provide linux driver support for their hardware? People say market share.. so I'm just wondering what if Ubuntu paid those hardware manufacturers?

Dragonbite
September 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Non-Profit just means that no individual(s) get the profits from the organization, and excess (profit) remains in the organization to be doled out, fund expansion or whatever based on their by-laws.

Canonical is following Red Hat's route before they split into corporate (RHEL) and community (Fedora) versions and gets paid via subscriptions and support.

Red Hat abandoned this model and is doing pretty well, financially (though there was some talk of VMWare buying Red Hat.. that would be interesting) by going for the "big fish".

On the other hand I haven't heard anybody selling computers with Red Hat installed that are NOT servers. SUSE *was* being sold on Lenovo computers (not anymore.. Lenovo is abandoning Linux for consumers) and Dell is selling Ubuntu.

The business model for Linux and Open Source companies is still new and businesses are trying to figure out the best way. Red Hat came up with one, Novell is doing something similar.

Maybe instead of making the hardware manufacturers develop device drivers, they should pay Ubuntu to make drivers for Linux ($$$). Or Dell could pay Canonical for customizing Ubuntu installs for their systems and develop/include Dell-only utilities and "tweaks"?

aaaantoine
September 10th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you.
Another question.. may sound stupid

Drivers for hardware in Linux:
If hardware companies were to develop drivers for Linux, would they only need to develop one set of drivers that would work across CentOOS, ubuntu, opensuse, redhat, etc. all linux distros. Or would they have to develop separate ones for each?

Not a problem.

The drivers are inserted directly into the Linux kernel, so they generally work regardless of distribution. I think the only exceptions involve the installation process.

sanderella
September 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM

WOW! I thought there was only Mark and a few programmers! Anyway, I want Ubuntu to stay free.:KS