PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hi everyone and a few questions

optimusfly
September 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hey everyone. I have finally made the decision to make the switch. I downloaded the iso and burnt it to a cd. Of course I md5'd it and checked to make sure the live cd was burnt properly. I am doing the install on a compaq presario f763nr. There is only one problem. I don't have any cat-5 cable so a physical connection to the router is entirely impossible at the moment. I have found the neccesary documentation (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-ar5007-wireless-with-madwifi-on-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html) to get the wireless up and running but it looks like I won't be able to do it this way because of my lack of a physical connection. I was just wondering if there were any workarounds like burning the referenced driver to a cd and then installing it that way? Any help would be most appreciated. I'd prefer to know how to use the cl to perform such an operation if it is possible. Once again thanks for the help.

iaculallad
September 10th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Ubuntu would probably autodetect some (if not, all - excluding those needing proprietary drivers) of you hardwares for you. So there would be no need to worry about hardware drivers.

Just boot from your LiveCD, and install it.

schauerlich
September 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM
If you have an atheros chipset, you can download madwifi (http://madwifi.org/) from a computer with a working connection, transfer the tar.gz with a flash drive and compile it.

Zzl1xndd
September 10th, 2008, 02:19 AM
The presario f763nr uses a broadcom 4311AG wireless card if I'm not mistaken this driver can be provided by the Restricted driver manager. I In truth it would probably be less paid full to just borrow a small bit of Cat 5 to do this.

optimusfly
September 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
K, I installed ubuntu 8.04 dual boot no prob. I burnt the madwifi to a cd and transferred it to my ubuntu desktop. I am stuck as to what I am supposed to do next however. I don't know how I am supposed to get madwifi to become the driver for my atheros wireless card. Thanks to all for your help.

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
It is advised to use a descriptive topic title; that means use a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have notices, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

Just imagine what these forums would look like if everybody would just post "Help" or "Noob here". What do you think how many people will still look at such threads?

Furthermore, for unrelated questions it's also adviced to open a seperate thread for each one, so that each problem can be addressed (and eventually marked as solved) individually.