PDA

View Full Version : [other] cordless mouse not working with rechargeable batteries

tonymoloney
September 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
This is not a Linux problem, but I have just encountered my third experience of a cordless mouse not working with rechargeable batteries. Replacing the batteries with alkaline fixes the problem.
My daughter has also had this same problem with her digital camera.
It appears that the rechargeable batteries discharge very rapidly when put in any of these devices.
Anyone know what's going on here?

P13808
September 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
(ignoring the lack of linux) Try charging the batteries. Then try them in something else. If they fail, get new batteries. If they succeed, check the manuals. It's likely that the items don't work with rechargeables.

tonymoloney
September 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Did all that, but what I'm interested in is the why (why do rechargeables work in some devices, but not others).

P13808
September 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
What it's made of. Not all devices can work with the chemical compounds. By chance are the devices cheap?

tonymoloney
September 10th, 2008, 01:27 AM
No. Not cheap. One mouse is a Microsoft and the camera is an Olympus.

halitech
September 10th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I found the exact opposite with my digital camera (HP 527) if I use non-rechargable batteries, I get about 20 pictures but if I use rechargables, it lasts for days taking pictures daily.

I think some depends on the ratings of the batteries. Some devices use different voltages and some batteries are built differently. For example, the batteries I use in my camera are 1.2V and 1850mAh but a standard battery is 1.5V with no info on the mAh

P13808
September 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
(trying not to take shot at microsoft) So the batteries are dead. Or you have the wrong batteries. Check the mAh. If it's too low that's bad.
http://www.google.com/search?q=why+won%27t+rechargeable+batteries+work+i n+some+devices&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

richg
September 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
The nominal voltage for a alkaline cell is 1.5 volts.
The nominal voltage for a rechargeable cell is 1.2 volts.
Already you have lost about 20 percent when using a rechargeable cell versus an alkaline cell. I have run into this many times and finally gave up on rechargeable cells. Tired of running out of power and not having a charged cell ready. Some devices cannot handle a lower voltage for very long.

Rich

alzie
September 10th, 2008, 03:24 AM
First off NiMH batteries or NiCd? I use NiMH

The ones for my mouse are Duracell 2650 mAh, they seem to work better than others I've had.

I also had a "fast" charger (about 1hr) and a "slow" charger (13 hr). The slow charges seem to last longer.

For my camera I use NiMH too but I keep a set of alkalines handy because they have a better "shelf life"

Maybe this helps