PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu "in action"

lpvmc
September 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
With the help of some of you I got the CD working and could see Ubuntu "in action":

- the examples folder was locked
- starting Firefox didn't show the bookmarks
- couldn't find a lot of programms I have installed
- trying to log in to the forum I noticed that my keyboard symbols had changed (I need to use the "," to get an "m" as an example.

Is this because I run Ubuntu from a CD at boot up or will it work like this after installing it??

Thanks for any comment/advice!!

syczu
September 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
It'll work much different, cause on live CD you can't install anything, cause you can't write any data on CD. You can set you keyboard on the installation stage.

hyper_ch
September 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
what do you mean by you couldn't find a lot of programs you installed?

lpvmc
September 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hi syczu,

It'll work much different, cause on live CD you can't install anything,

Looking at my examples isn't that a kind of understatement? I didn't want to install anything just wanted to use what was already there.

Hi hyper_ch,

what do you mean by you couldn't find a lot of programs you installed?

In Windows I've a lot of shortcut symbols on my desktop which were gone and, maybe overlooked it, but couldn't find some like an "all programmes" button.

I'm sure Ubuntu will be much better/practical than what I've seen of it now but I really would like to experience that .... if possible. Are the examples I mentioned in my earlier post "normal" using the CD to boot from or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Love the automatic speller, by the way!!

Oldsoldier2003
September 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
It'll work much different, cause on live CD you can't install anything, cause you can't write any data on CD. You can set you keyboard on the installation stage.

Completely untrue. You can install programs and run them- but you will not be able to save the changes since the prgrams are installed into RAM.

Technically, you CAN save data if you mount a partition and write the data to disk. ( With some tweaking you can make a Custom Live CD or Live USB that is "persistent" but that is an entirely different subject.)

knix
September 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Got to System>> Preferences>> Keyboard>> Layouts tab. Reconfigure to use the right layout.
re: your programs not showing up: those are windows programs and settings on your windows partition so they won't show up. If you install wine (a compatibilty layer), you can run some of them from the executable.

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
you have to differentiate between gui and cli programs. for cli programs you won't get an icon/launcher anywhere. for gui programs they will be auto added to your menu according to their categories. By default there are no icons/launchers put on the desktop